Modding Discussion Experienced Race Modder Needed

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by TheCreeperCyborg, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCreeperCyborg

TheCreeperCyborg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Closed. These People Are ***holes

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Leaving your email out here could cause more junk mail. I recommend editing it out before the mods do it.
    On topic: That sounds sounds like an awesome idea. Wish I could code better.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2016
  3. TheCreeperCyborg

ok thx for the 422, also: you could still help/contribute in other waise

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

It doesn't help that you quoted it.

*hint hint nudge nudge*

Also: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/race-base.3537/

Modding Starbound is not all that difficult
    You just need to have patience and read your log files.

5. TheCreeperCyborg

yeah, i noticed he quoted it, i just thought i'd probobly sound like an ass if i ask him to delete his comment

also, i got other things to do rather than learning code...... like hiring a coder :3

6. Mackinz

Json is not code. Period. It's data. Look at a vanilla file, copy it, edit a word. Boom - mod. Everyone should actually try to mod Starbound before writing it off as too difficult - there's a reason why there are over 3000 mods (including Outdated oned) for Starbound, and that is the simplicity of modding. Stop being lazy and take a look at the resource I linked. It's the basics of what you need to make a race mod, so check it out before you write it off.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  7. TheCreeperCyborg

"stap being lazie" *lazez even moar* jokes aside i rlly hope dat wazent an insult

8. Mackinz

It both was and wasn't. I am a self taught Starbound modder and pixel artist and, when I started, we didn't have half the cool stuff we have access to today. If you can't be bothered to look at the basics of modding ( literally stuff like "Description" : "Super lazy."), how can you expect someone to partner up with you to make a mod?

You only need a text document editor and patience.

9. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

that's pretty much how i learnt too, and for the race base mod, i pretty much commented all the stuff so that even someone with no experience could have a valid grasp of how to start making their own race mod. i personally was lucky enough to have people help me with my modpack's graphics, but this kind of luck is exactly what i call it, luck.

Anyway here is the basics of how 2 mod 4 n00bs
    1) create folder in mods folder,
    2) add the .modinfo, you can find a basic version of it in every single mod ever created for starbound.
    3)find something from the orignal game that you want to modify/create a new one of
    4.1)if modify
    4.1.1)copy the file over to your mod directory and either replace or patch the file with a .patch
    4.2)if create
    4.2.1)copy the file over to your mod directory and change the thing's name in the file, most of the time the first element
    5)when done working on the file, if there are other files required, such as recipes, ai files, or whatever repeat step 3 and 4
    6)place the files in a file structure that matches the game, for the sake of respecting implied conventions
    7)give it a test run
    8)if it breaks don't ask in the board before you have tried to fix the problem on your own and read your starbound.log file in your giraffe_storage folder.(you might need to enable extensions to see it.)
    9)test your fixes, if it crashes go back to step 8
    10) your mod should now work.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Save for questions I asked around here, I am self taught as well. I learned basic JSON from Minecraft when they added in support for custom models.

From past experience in other modding communities, people that go out seeking help but refuse to learn, never go anywhere. As the leader of a mod project, you are expected to know how to do most everything, but you are seeking help to lessen the load on yourself, not pass off work you don't want do even attempt to learn to do.

11. TheCreeperCyborg

Me: Question, You: Stupid Response, Me: I don't have the time to start learing code, ive got a lot of projects im working on already, if i worked with a coder instead of doing thiz all myself prodction would be faster, and the good people of starboundia would have a gud mod out faster

12. Mackinz

And you think virtually every other modder on these forums doesn't have things other than modding to do? Bloody hell. We still find time to do it, even amongst our various other projects, needs, and prior obligations. Are you seriously telling me you won't even look at C0bra's Race Base and see how easy it is to make a race mod for Starbound?

Also, don't double post.

13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Keep it civil, please. And note that double-posting is frowned upon.

14. TheCreeperCyborg

ok furst, i didnt meant to double post idk how to send the same message 2 two people, and also, RLLY, "CI VIL" he called me lazy and i called his post stupid. this forum is moar strict than a politically correct harvered that banned the concept of friendship

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You can just use two quotes in the same post. You can use the edit button if need be, too.

No. There is no space in the middle of 'civil', and I didn't spell it in all-caps.

So, you can both dial it back a tad, before it does escalate.

Asking people to be civil is nothing unusual as far as forum rules go. Or, indeed, general social norms. Besides, you agreed to abide by forum rules in registering your account here.

But we're off-topic now. If you have further issues, send me a PM.

16. lazarus78

You are refusing to learn to mod, not because of some actual inability, but simply because you are unwilling. This is literally the definition of "Lazy". You don't think I have a lot of projects of my own? No, your projects are so important that you cant spend a single second learning the basics of modding so that you can proceed with your mod plans on your own rather than rely on someone else. Im detecting an elevated level of self importance around here.

17. TheCreeperCyborg

you're talking to me like i was bugging you to help me :/

18. lazarus78

It goes both ways. Why would I, or anyone else, want to help someone who is lazy? If you were willing to learn how to mod, I would be more than willing to answer any questions you may have, but that isn't the case.

"also, i got other things to do rather than learning code"
    "I don't have the time to start learing code, ive got a lot of projects im working on already,"

This says to me, "I am to important to learn something new.", and "This is beneath me."

19. TheCreeperCyborg

just not gonna bother w/ this crap anymore

i'll say this once, and only once, im a real person, i have a life, i pixel art on ocasion ans when im bored, i dont have a business out of this

20. Mackinz

I guess I need to quote myself.

lazarus78 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.