Your Favorite "Video Game Logic" Part of Stardew Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rmd64, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rmd64

rmd64 Subatomic Cosmonaut

While playing the game today (just completed all the bundles), I started thinking about just how silly some of the gaming aspects are. For example, I always find it hilarious how Pelican Town doesn't have the funds in its budget to afford restoring the community center (or an actual school.... or anything else for that matter), yet there's an unlimited amount of money that goes towards biweekly parties. Let me know what other parts of the game that always makes you roll your eyes. I should mention though, that I'm not criticizing the game at all, just over-analyzing it more than its worth. :p

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

I don't think this is accurate, but I believe I read the wiki wrong and I thought that you needed to own a barn (along with the other regular requirements) in order for you to buy the mermaid's pendant from the old mariner

so naturally all my friends had to point out that's where my spouse would be banished to at all times

ruddthree, GPM1000, Wolfride and 2 others like this.
      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I still find it amusing a spouse tells you proudly they watered the crops or fed the animals, when you have sprinklers in place and no animals.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Food being permanently unrotting. Considering how food distribution has a large margin of spoiled goods, and that forces stores to perpetually rotate their goods, the fact that food doesn't spoil should realistically mean that being a food good distributor would have no profit.

Being able to !make raw-fish dishes from species of fish that would make the consumer I'll in real life.

Livestock animals being mostly calm all the time and never attacking the Farmer or other animals.

Scarecrows having a 100% success rate.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
            lilly_ampleton and rmd64 like this.
          • squidspeaker

squidspeaker Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can fit 600 pieces of corn in my backpack.

• Tyken

Tyken Subatomic Cosmonaut

A few of the characters mention school. I assume they go out of town to go to it.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I find it funny that Clint complains about business being slow, yet he's always drinking at the Saloon at night. Yeah I know he's got a mad crush on Emily but if business was as slow as he implies, he wouldn't be shelling out money for nightly drinks!

• rmd64

To be fair though, he's made at least what? 250,000 off of me in less than 3 years including how much ore I bought near the beginning.

GPM1000 likes this.
                  • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

They can't afford to repair a bus, but they can convert iron bars into gold ones.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Also, the prices of food when compared to the price of furniture and nearly doubling the size of a house, if I did my math correctly. For reference, in the game the cost of an oak chair is 350g, while the cost of a single serving of spaghetti from the Saloon is 240g. In real life, a solid oak chair costs approximately $70 US. This means that the conversion ratio from United State Currency to Ferngill Republic G is 1:5. This means that the price for a plate of spaghetti- with no drink, salad or anything- is a whopping $48 United States dollars.

On a different but still possibly disturbing note, it is apparently completely okay to crawl into the bed of anyone in the SDV world, once you become their acquaintance. Even if said person is a small child.

GPM1000, EltonScone, Wolfride and 5 others like this.
                      • everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

Most who mention going to school currently go online, if I recall correctly.

• Sevidra

Sevidra Existential Complex

You can give bouquets and have every available single in town in a long-term, deep relationship....

But when you're married, you can't give them a gift even if you're barely acquaintances.z

*edit: without your spouse getting jealous

GPM1000, EltonScone, Wolfride and 2 others like this.
                          • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Alex at least went to a physical highschool, since he was on a sports team. He specifically mentions he was his highschool team's all star something or other. And I think that Abigail mentions her courses are college courses somewhere, though that might be a false memory.

• rmd64

I might be totally wrong about this, but I was under the impression Alex was a senior in high school (creepy, I know). I always thought this because he talks about wanting to go on to play college ball. I've also always thought this because he never goes inside the saloon unlike everyone else (excluding Haley).

StardewSinger likes this.
                              • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Cows, chickens, horses, goats...slime breeding? Really?

farmvillesux and rmd64 like this.
                                • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

He does want to play professional gridball, but I don't think he is in high school anymore- in the dialogue where he talks about being the teams all-star player, he says he 'was his highschool teams all star.' If he were still in highschool, he would still be playing, since that is how athletes are recruited if I recall correctly. The fact he uses past tense, and that he doesn't leave town ever implies he graduated high school, or at least is no longer attending. That's just what I get from it.

Arlem and rmd64 like this.
                                  • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

That's my impression, as well. He doesn't make any current references to high school. Instead, he focuses on gridball as something that will involve a professional career. As you get to know him, his Man Among Men attitude gives way to something distinctly more realistic.

rmd64 likes this.
                                    • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My all-time favorite video game logic is the tried and true staple of "insert gift, receive friendship." I always love the idea that my character just walks up twice a week to someone and hands them a plate of food and walks away...and somehow this makes me likable. :rofl:

As for Alex and his lack of going to the saloon... (spoilering just cause it talks about some of his heart events and my perception of them)
                                      I kind of got the impression from his whole issues with his dad being an abusive individual that he isn't a fan of alcohol in general. I forget if he actually mentions his dad drank or not...but I ended up with the impression that his dad came off as a deadbeat drunk who likely spent a lot of time drinking and grudging. Or maybe it's my personal headcanon. I know that nothing alcoholic is on his love to likes list. They aren't on his hate list either granted. I guess though this comes from a personal place because I had a step dad that was pretty much an alcoholic and it caused me to not want to go anywhere near alcohol till my late twenties out of a conditioned nervousness I would somehow get addicted to alcohol and follow a similar destructive path.

• rmd64

This made me think of the dating sim Game Theory.
                                        *telling our kids how Sebastian and I fell in love* "Well, every Sunday and Monday I stood outside his house until it was 9AM so I could go inside, hand him a plate of sashimi, and leave. Obviously it was meant to be."

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

These people dont have bathroom or even toilet. While we know there's wc nor the fact some people like to dip in bathhouse, where do the community usually relieve their urge? Tsk tsk tsk.