Dev Blog 18th April - Dungeons & Spookits

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 18, 2016.

1. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Relten likes this.
  2. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

But then you would need to make a new song. Judging from the sound of his post, I think he was referring to the standard universal soundtrack.

3. emeraldgreen72

Well in that case there is no song in the soundtrack the completely covers a place such as that one

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Nor are there any biome specific songs at all (though I suppose with the exception of the main soundtrack working well with lush/forest biomes).
    I need something that wouldn't be tiring to listen to, but still repulsive and visceral playing when exploring the flesh biome. Like something out of a SP album...

5. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

It's either medieval dungeon or BDSM party theme.

6. emeraldgreen72

Kinda like the sounds you hear in Jabu jabu's belly in ocarina of time or something alone those lines?

Spritley Jack and Sylxeria like this.
  7. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

On the note of better suiting dungeon music I want to suggest two things! Make it so we can attach music to dungeon's shield generator - I say this because then the music would only play once you entered the shields radius. Once you shut it off or destroy it the music will stop, returning to the normal soundtrack, giving players a sort of "You did it!" feeling. And second, a jukebox that does something of the same effect but say like 20 blocks all around. From the jukebox you can select any theme or dungeon music and have your town or ship it's own special music once entered! Say you enter a glitch town, jukebox will play medieval music, or tribal music for florans. That'd be like +500 atmosphere points to any town or dungeon! And then, you could have modders able to add additional music. Think having items able to override background music is possible?

8. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

If that happens...I'm going to get myself some 50s swing for my suburban houses.

Spritley Jack, Flake13 and Kelthazan like this.
  9. Jareix Cryvix

I was actually thinking of something a bit like this. Though... You know... Creepier and darker...

I know exactly what I'm playing for my steampunk home.

Spritley Jack and Kelthazan like this.
  10. emeraldgreen72

So how dark and creepy are we talking like giygas from earthbound or something maybe something alone the lines of the way giygas sounds but with a few machine sounds in the background or alerms ?

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  11. Jareix Cryvix

Well, I was thinking that at first, but it just felt a bit too chaotic for mining in an underground flesh cave. It'd be more appropriate if it was something like an unholy cybernetic-flesh hybrid biome. But it's still a bit too chaotic for semi-peaceful mining sessions. Boss 3 just feels a bit more orderly and rhythmic. If a bit too frantic. As I said, revolting and visceral, but not totally unpleasant to listen to. Rhythmic base beats would also accent it quite well.

Flake13 and emeraldgreen72 like this.
  12. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

*claps hands*

This is a nice addition! I hope we'll also be seeing some new sky dungeons..

NOAHDADDY and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  13. Kelthazan

Now imagine that feeeel of walking into your home and all of a sudden YOUR theme starts playing! That would be just too cool. I really think good music is half the experience, and allowing us to dance to our own tune would just be the cherry on top of home building for me - to wrap the entire theme together with a fitting song.

14. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

This is awesome.....I love to explore and discover new things. Gives the game more and more the feel of adventure and wonder.Ever since my childhood I have dreamed of adventure in far off lands, on distant planets, and in galaxies unknown to most. Starbound brings these feelings to life every time I play......and keeps the adventurers dream in me alive. It would be great to if maybe some kind of mini-bosses could be added to some of the larger dungeons, which could possibly be added into some races background or current story. With the hopes of greater reward and status for the victors. So many possibilities.....thanks and keep up the great work.

emeraldgreen72 likes this.
  15. Albcatmastercat

Albcatmastercat Void-Bound Voyager

There is a biome-specific music set, though; ice-ish planets have a selection of "Snowy" songs.

BTW, just to stop the double-post:

I agree; the Novakid settlements should be rare (maybe a quarter of the usual "Rate"?). It would be cool to have some villagers there though (Novakid cooks, anyone?)

Also, I'd like to see some crops on Asteroids (Because Logic). Don't judge me.

Spritley Jack and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  16. Johnnyloo

Johnnyloo Void-Bound Voyager

What about having themes linked to some item, like a vinyl or something? So you could feed those items in a jukebox to make the theme play. Then the shield generators could drop an item that plays the dungeon's theme.
    So the player's music library is kind of a recollection of places they went to and things they've done. Also, music shops and such.

17. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More dungeons, hurray! I'd love to go on a castle tour and meet the king without him wanting to murder most of my face.

Spritley Jack and Kawa like this.
  18. Albcatmastercat

Albcatmastercat Void-Bound Voyager

I once killed an Avian while trying to save them :(

Spritley Jack and emeraldgreen72 like this.
  19. Kelthazan

I like this, that opens up the possibility to be able to find rare themes in biome chests or tech chests! Ooo why not have the base themes craftable around the same time as the jukebox or can be bought and then have rare biome ones you can find and then the dungeon ones you collect as you said!

20. raizeny

raizeny Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm... did someone say... MORE LOOT?