RELEASED Combat with Farming Implements

You can now actually fight using farming implements!

1. OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

OrSpeeder submitted a new mod:

Combat with Farming Implements - You can now actually fight using farming implements!

Read more about this mod...

This is a first prototype-ish version, probably unbalanced no matter how hard I tried to balance, suggestions (not only for balance, but more "weapons") are welcome.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • OrSpeeder

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Can you give a bit more detail? How can you increase the damage with your farming tools? Experience? Tool upgrades?
      And about how much will the damage be with in typical scenarios?

Also, the proper weapons won't ever grow obsolete as long as they don't cost energy to use (as opposed to tools) and have special attacks

• OrSpeeder

I forgot to factor energy, good point :p

As for damage:

Scythe damage is based on farming level, and how good you are with the scythe in day to day use (ie: cutting grass, amaranth, hay, etc...)
        PickAxe based on mining level, discovered minerals (roughly +1 damage per mineral), and stuff you hit with the pickaxe...

PickAxe is the most easy one to "level-up", but it also peaks earlier, since most of its damage come from discovered minerals, and those have a limit.

Axe is based on forage level, and stumps you cut... I am still looking on how to improve these, the game doesn't track how many trees you cut :(

Scythe you can reach any damage you want theoretically, just keep getting grass and amaranth and whatnot, and eventually your scythe will do whatever damage you want :) It might take a LOOOOOONG time though (the formula is Log(stuff) thus it has greatly diminishing returns, but the returns never actually stop).

EDIT: about energy: scythe doesn't use energy, because it is NOT a tool (it is a sword that can cut grass... and the game knows this by using the name of the item being "Scythe", theretically if you rename a hammer as "Scythe" you can cut grass with it too)

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Really cool! I think I'll give this a go and see how I like it!
          Can I use this on an already existing save? And if I uninstall the mod, will everything revert back to normal?

• OrSpeeder

Yes :) It works by adding a temporary buff :)

Nurio likes this.
            • Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

This actually make sense in context because many weapons are actually originally tools and some weapons are more militarized so they are more effective as weapons. Even the actual tools they are based on can be used as weapons in a pitch in inflect nasty weapons. The wood axe is an obvious example but the flail was originally used to thresh grains.

• OrSpeeder

Yes!

I do martial arts IRL, or rather, I used to :(

I learned how to fight with asian flails (of the grain treshing kind) and falchion (of these that you use to cut plants when walking in the wild). And I saw people fighting with militarized scythe, sticks, and very interestingly, shovel!

The shovel is one of the "post-blackbelt" stuff for advanced students, I met only two persons that knew how to use it (the owner of the gym, and the first student of the gym... both learned from the master himself in another gym).

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

By the way, what do you consider grass for this mod? Is that anything that takes a scythe to harvest? Does it count wheat? Is it only the actual grass that gives hay? Does it count the bushes that give fiber?

• OrSpeeder

It counts your current amount of grass (thus requires silos) + the total amount of harvested amaranth, kale and wheat.

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, it doesn't count the grass in chests, I imagine?

• OrSpeeder

No, that would be too slow, and make the game FPS sink like a rock.

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Hm, what if it checks the chests once in the morning and then remembers the amount of grass for the rest of the day?

• OrSpeeder

Then it is doable... still, why you are putting grass into chests? :p

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Because at the moment, I don't have enough silos to hold all the grass

• OrSpeeder

And that is PRECISELY why I only count grass on the silos ;) (I calculated the mod to give you about 50+ damage if you have 8 silos... if I let instead people to just store grass in chests with the same power, people would get +150 damage or beyond for free... if I add "chest grass" I proably will heavily tone it down)

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Fair enough! Hmm, this makes me reconsider getting more silos...