WIP StarDOPE VALLEY: adding CANNABIS as a mod to SDV. update: 5/4

Discussion in 'Mods' started by taintedwheat, Apr 6, 2016.

1. taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

dude, i should make one but i'll wait a couple of days. I shared this on facebook earlier so it could be someone i know (who doesn't even play the game -___-)

but it did also convince someone I know who is an electrical engineering major in the East Bay who's done like programing competitions by Intel at UCB and conferences in SF is intrigued to start modding stuff in the community possibly!

I also made a note about discussing it with the group whole first.

• ExSOLDIER-J92

ExSOLDIER-J92 Intergalactic Tourist

The idea of adding Cannabis to the game would be an interesting one, but then you should also add a store and new NPC that sells and buys it.

• katgirl28888

katgirl28888 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's in the plan! Read through the thread and you'll find out a bit more (page 3 mostly)

• LPkun

LPkun Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bumping for the awesome idea. :D

• fiziologus

fiziologus Space Hobo

Cultivating drug (with any form) closed this mod in many country (propaganda, you know).

Use canabis as technical plant (oil, hemp) -- gread idea. No need new NPC for buy-sell (oil take as other oil, hemp/cloth as other cloth), technicaly no need new machine, but adding new food and new (more strong then cotton or wool, and more valuable) cloth.

Sorry for english.

• taintedwheat

This is all good things to consider, and we may change the wording a bit or relewse a seperate "just technical version" with the more crops mod --so there is that. Maybe the "drugfree" version will only be hemp and tabacco.

Although, this is like a big, creative communal project. Also I want to learn more about setting this up and making fleshed out expansion as a learning tool for myself, those who are working on it, and those willing to use it. So I am dead set on the production plans I have for this.

Also as you can see, there is no rush on this. Surely I could just sent those crops to @Killerbotto, but no I didnt want to do that because it would defeat the purpose of even going ahead and making a separate thread for it.

Its so rediculous how easy it is to interchange the word "drugs" and "medicine," since the introduction of addictive substances on history's world stage. Also how they both mean the same but abused often that all it is "drugs" to people.

I do understand that it differs to country to country and culture to culture and how much censorship or country [state, and let's face it often non-secular] stances on weed. This semester I am studying and taking courses anthropology of globalization, the history of the modern Middle East, and world history since 1500...so yeah, I am well aware that there are some places that will not be ok with this.

But thanks for your input and you will see a version like this in the more crops mod, more specifically now because of your suggestion. BUT I'm not quitting on "my drugout version" will also be included in another form of that same mod.

Your English is fine. Where are you from?

MayaMayhem likes this.
              • Delta9

Delta9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am inexperienced, but I may be able to help you with some of the pixel art. I'm willing to try, at least. :)

taintedwheat likes this.
                • taintedwheat

We need plants first off! n.n

• Delta9

Do you know if you're changing an existing crop file or making all new ones? How big do these have to be?

• taintedwheat

the crop item yield should be 16x16 pixels.
                      the plant should be 32x16, maybe 48x16 (but probably not, although I'm not sure).

EDIT: I want the weed to grow on trellises/need support to be held up.

We're adding it to the crop sheet so it will be new, but if you want to try to edit the hops and recolor that for tobacco. You can also take that model and try to make the leaves it more round to look like weed bud. Wow, I'm surprised I didn't think about that sooner. Haha.

The hemp cloth can just be recolored tan to look like burlap with maybe some hatch marks... uhm.. what else. ?

I can add edits to whatever you do, brah

• Delta9

I'm gonna go ahead and put it on the grape-growing trellis because I think that's more of the full length support a bud-heavy plant could use than the hops trellis with only a support at the top. I'll make the same 8 growth phases as hops and grapes, you can use any or all of them. It currently looks only vaguely like a weed plant, but the vanilla pumpkin looks nothing like a real pumpkin plant so ehh.

I'm starting with doing one type, through all its growth stages, we'll call it a sativa for now, but that can change. And then from there we can edit that or revamp things.

It's freaking hard (for me, at least) to make the crops look only slightly different with the limited pixel space, so you might want to consider having indicas vs sativas be a recolor of the same plant. Just an idea. :)

• taintedwheat

Yeah sure! Let's see it at that point and then go from there! I feel you, I figure we can just recolor them different tones of green and purple add little faint white dots on the leaves for crystals.

It is hard haha. What program are you using?
                          Dude, I just got help to make a farmstand in front of my shipping crate. It was a lot of trial and error, and error, that I got someone to help me but it looks great x__x;
                          And I am also getting help of releasing a cutestier greenhouse. not hella big like the others, because why, farm expansion mod already, and I plan to use the greenhouse for growing weed trellises

• Delta9

[​IMG]
                            Here's the first draft! What do you think?

Edit: Here's one you can actually see. [​IMG]

• Delta9

And I use MediBang Paint Pro. Idk it was free, it does layers and transparency without being too screwy, you can turn off antialiasing, and there's an easy pencil tool that lets you go pixel by pixel, and all you have to do for an eyedropper is right click, which I love. It's only a little annoying to teach yourself, and it's pretty easy for the things that need done here. I don't know what might be better, probably lots of stuff, but if you have nothing else and you hate to spend money, it's pretty nice. :DD

taintedwheat likes this.
                              • taintedwheat

Wow this looks great! But maybe have like the top leaves protrude more outward to be more on the nose that's a pot plant? and maybe on the light green part have a small random faint white pixels maybe one on every other bud thing or two (or don't worry about this part, I can try to help by making the small edits /send it back talk about it.)

Do you think we could have different trellis variation for the different type? Idk, that might be much, but I'm wondering how it would look (because I have a trellis greenhouse that I help planned out specifically for weed)

Coolbeans. See I'm an elitist asshole who doesn't mind spending money on photoshop or using aseprite ($15) for close range pixel work x.x

katgirl28888 likes this.
                                • Delta9

I think different trellises wouldn't be too hard. Do you mean like the hops trellis, or a unique design? However, I don't understand what you're trying to say for the leaves. Can you be a little more specific?

taintedwheat likes this.
                                  • taintedwheat

Yes, like the hops! n__n maybe for the tobacco be slightly different since its not the same plant species as weed xD
                                    when its at is adult stage can they have the classic pot leaf on top? Probs not, I know its difficult working in such a small space

wow, was made for starbound: http://i.imgur.com/kaeiIIU.png

• taintedwheat

Actually I just asked boffoboy if he could help my more cutesier and lovely greenhouse mod release not only a lobby to have have epic cute teleports to everywhere on the map, but have a second trellises area (in addition to a treegrowing area with a walkway and mediating bench and regular growing area) but maybe a work room to set up the machines for the weed processing.

-crossesfingers-

• Delta9

I've tried, it's very hard to get it to look like a pot leaf at that size. I'll give it one more attempt, for you. :)

taintedwheat likes this.
                                        • taintedwheat

Awh man! I know it is >.<;;; really dont try too hard, there's not much you can do in 16x16 -- although I do like how the bud is growing like that from that imgur photo above if you want to try to make the little bud things you have emulate that sort of somehow?