WIP StarDOPE VALLEY: adding CANNABIS as a mod to SDV. update: 5/4

Discussion in 'Mods' started by taintedwheat, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Foraging, fishing, invincibility, monster repellent are the other effects.

I could see how any particularly pungent strains could have the monster repellent effect, but I know nothing about marijuana beyond it's chemical properties.

If there were any wild strains, they could give a foraging buff; ones that would grow in water rich areas could give a fishing buff (or hydroponically grown ones? Can that be done? Both IRL and in game.)

Any strain that is particularly strong in pain dampening properties could give both a defense and speed buff, maybe, followed by a speed debuff. Idea being that the inability to feel pain makes your character run harder than they normally would because they can't sense the pain, but once it wears off the muscle wear kicks in.

Also, just a a few comedic ideas: when the Farmer is under the influence, the screen could have a fuzzy effect from being 'high.' And the munchies could be represented by a stamina hit.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

My phone doesn't really like the doc. I'll check in here occasionally and add to the discussion and anyone can add anything I contribute into the doc if they so please.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Hmm, ok. Let's flesh it out more here, and I'll put it in there. I guess you don't see all the comments we were making on the left-hand side because I noticed I couldn't see it on my phone.

SMELLING TOO MUCH LIKE WEED to act like (hella expensive) Oil of Garlic... AMAZING.
        <<I wear some perfume to try to cut some of that out... >. > >>

I really like where you're going, especially because people /know/ when they're not high anymore. Plus it would be sick to like run through the mummies in the skull cabin to be able to place a superbomb (I have difficulty dropping it then running away).

I like the comedic effects! I definitely think, that you gotta get the munchies haha.

here's like the layman's terms for the chem properties of weed:

cbd - can't get high from it, used for pain strictly
        hybrid - a mix of both sativa and indica crops giving hybrid effects.
        sativa - kinda like an upper, more of a body high. a good day-time weed. green mostly.
        indica - KNOWN AS PURPLE, PURPLE-URPLE, Usually a purply plant. It get's you fucked up. This is what rappers like to smoke. It's a huge head high, some people feel like they cannot do anything but sit and laugh. It's a good peace-pipe weed.
        hemp - can't smoke it, used only for materials and food. and i'm pretty sure growers still need a license for it even though there's no profit/intent to sell.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
          Superior_s likes this.
        • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Reading through your post you have some great ideas though!

• taintedwheat

Also, probably would be good if somehow the fuzzy screen should happen. Dazed and confused, man.

Superior_s likes this.
            • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Also not sure if this has been covered, but harvested hemp could be used in place of fiber.

taintedwheat likes this.
              • taintedwheat

AHHHH!! I'll mention that, I mean Igorious made those hay driers... that's amazing, omggg duuuude

Superior_s likes this.
                • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I'm pretty sure that hemp is also made into a milk substitute, as well as used in soaps and lotions. So... There's two item options' hemp milk and artisan soap.

It's a shame it would require essentially reworking the entire crop system, or an emphasis could be put on breeding crops with the specific effects you want. Like breeding the sativa and indica could result in a breed with a 1 1 2 buff spread, breeding it back into one of the parent species could have a chance to produce a breed with a 1 2 2 buff spread, or put out a hybrid with the same 1 1 2 buff spread. Each point in buffs could add to the stamina hit you would take. Maybe something like 5-15 stamina times (total amount of buff points distributed) equals total penalty.

That said, maybe it would be possible to code it so every seed planted has a random chance to produce a plant with a higher buff than the parent plant?

• taintedwheat

I know, you can also eat it as seeds. I am going to mention it as making it into milk. although we'd need a milk machiene (which shouldn't be too bad, because there are nuts/going to be nuts in MCM and those can be made into milk. ALSO like adding the milks and different stuff? ...STRAWBERRYMILK?!)

You would think in theory it is possible because the regular/silver/gold crops all have individual properties (e.g. cost differ on grade, how much they heal you). But how would the breeding of crops happen? maybe a second-tier to the seedhopper to allow you to put both at once.

EDIT: right, could be doable? you have a chance to get an ancient seed from the hopper.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

That's be my guess, since it probably can't be done with how the values of plants are set when they are planted. So it'd have to be x chance to get a seed of that breed with an increased boost. Then for the next tier, the same check, with a decreased chance. They're should probably also be a hard cap on the plants and products for the boosts they can give you- the highest I've seen is 8, but 4 or 5 seems more reasonable.

• taintedwheat

yeah, definitely. (8 being super tough to get, super dank expensive stuff)
                        actually, you know, this would be an interesting mechanic to implement because it would mean you couldn't just straight off the bat play hella industry like.

Like, you gotta gamble with your seeds to get the best results. I just wish there was a way like to choose let you choose how many crops you want to throw in there besides two to try to mix up the properties even further. Like a button on the machine after you're done throwing stuff in there/ or in the menu screen when you're putting the items in.

Another idea to make it more applicable to real life, is be able to buy clones (acting like trees by being planted) / which are basically seedlings that you can plant to help your growing go a little faster. And have a super rare chance to be a male plant. All male plants only produce seeds.

Or make the clones insanely expensive if they can only be male.

• Alina_Mau

Alina_Mau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hmm breeding could be a crafting recipe that you learn as your farming skill increases allowing you to mix 2 basic kinds to create a more unique version that you could then use OR be able to put into the seedcrafter to actually grow/produce your own

this also might scale the level of challenge in the mod :eek: though it might cause issues with already established saves? hmm just an idea either way X3

Also the idea of cbd to act as a damage alterer? like you have a short buff where you only take half damage or no damage depending on quality :eek:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
                            MayaMayhem and taintedwheat like this.
                          • kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

I was just going to make a post about adding cannabis lol. I had forgotten MJ also means weed.

Aslo a jackson penny replacer would be amusing, if only for the out-raged comments that would follow. xD

I could probably do some art for the plants, bong and joints, may some other stuff. ^_^

lannihamm and taintedwheat like this.
                            • taintedwheat

That sounds good. Hmm.. now just to tweak all the suggestions for making/breeding weed strains and making it all readable for Igorious. I do like the idea of crafting recipe like the seasonal seeds as well as possibly using the seed hopper.
                              DUDE. Yeah! THAT WOULD BE SIICK! Thanks for extending your reach to us!

Let me know what you'd like to work on from what we listed/talked about so far and I'll make a list of who is doing what.

Omg... my dreams are actually happening n.n

katgirl28888 likes this.
                              • kitsunespirit

I made the Kitsune race as well as the Space Tents for Starbound if you want to see examples of my pixel art. :)

Just give me a list of what you need made and I'll see want I can do.

taintedwheat likes this.
                                • taintedwheat

Mhmm.. ooh I guess you can try your hand at the butter churner and make things like the joints, blunts and cigarettes.

For the CBD tub/machine, Idk what it would look like I guess I was picturing to look like a tub with like a shelf above and stuff around it

The items from this could look like vaseline jars <like a normal only CBD one would be like a light green>

For the wax I just want a brown/amber dollop looking like it is halfway from a small envelope
                                  For honey oil (also concentrate) I want that in like an amber vial with like a green cross on it (i think a lot of the items that could fit labels on them should have this)

kitsunespirit likes this.
                                  • kitsunespirit

When harvesting the plants, it should give fiber, seeds and the MJ of course. It could be different amounts according to quality. Gold star could give equal amounts of all three, while no-star could give like 3 weed, 2 seeds and a fiber (or whatever).

taintedwheat likes this.
                                    • taintedwheat

ooooh. I like that. I'll put in the doc to have Igorious look at it! thankies n__n;; (actually I just posted the second page of this thread entirely because it has a loot of good stuff) <3

edit: doing both :3

• HollyGreen

HollyGreen Space Hobo

I'll preface my comment by saying I actually commercially grew weed for a few years and have contributed actively to the medicinal marijuana scene, both politically and physically by donating my time to local facilities, and I live in an area where it is now fully legal.

That being said, I don't think you should. I mean, just. Groan.

• taintedwheat

Wow that's cool, I haven't met many contributors that actually involved.

Are you saying you're against having this mod? i mean, if I was in your position I'd probably get tired of it too. (well i dunno, i can't give de facto proof i'd feel the same)

But I am also basically finished with the game, minus a few friendship completions and I want to do is as a testament to multiple skills I do have and to stuff I really enjoy having. Not only is this very intuitive and brings a whole other mechanic it is also teaching those how to draw/code/design more than before.