Dev Blog 7th April – Manipulate What Matters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

(cross-posted from here! )
    ---

Hello, and welcome to the new and improved Starbound website!

In preparation for the previously mentioned final approach to 1.0, we've taken some time to give the site a new coat of paint. So take a look around, and let us know what you think!

So, what's new with Starbound? Well, I think you'll all be excited to read that you'll soon be able to upgrade your Matter Manipulator in whichever way you see fit!

Do you focus all your modules early on towards maxing out the Power Generator? Or perhaps you'd find spreading your modules out on each area a more rewarding spend. The choice is now up to you in which order you focus your upgrades.

This feature is still a work in progress, but here's a look at the interface as it stands right now:

[​IMG]

We've also got some some exciting news to share regarding Starbound on Xbox One! If you're attending EGX Rezzed in London this weekend, you'll be among the first to play an early build of Starbound on the Xbox One, via their new Game Preview program!

We're already receiving some sizeable interest at the ID@XBOX booth, so come and say hello!

[​IMG]

That's all for today!

- Supernorn

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Oh my... Now this is a unique progression system that really sets itself from most other mining progression systems... Maybe make it changed a bit so that along with manipulator modules, you also require ores to make the upgrade? I like it, but what do you have to say about making exploring underground actually engaging and... Well... Wonderous...? Is there any focus on revamping the underground?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. karlowaty

karlowaty Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i just want to ask 1 thing. what about terramorphing planets ? will it be in 1.0 patch ? or after.

4. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is the power generator the bit that guns and stuff use? Didn't realise that was on the matter manipulator.
    Loving this idea so far tho, lads. Keep it up on my fave game

5. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I believe that's strength. Or how much 'damage' it does to the tiles, making it quicker for breaking stuff.

6. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah damn. Still real good though.
    Also what's Matter Proc Unit?

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Making upgrading the Matter Manipulator more involved is very cool, but I always felt solely focusing on the Matter Manipulator and not allowing playerd a choice in the matter of what tool they use to advance through the game was a mistake - I'd really like to see pickaxes and axes updated for the final release of Starbound so that players have more of a choice in their resource-gathering playstyle than being forced to use and upgrade the Matter Manipulator like everyone else.

Also, I've always thought it would be cool if using the Matter Manipulator used energy to gather and build. Some personal experiments from Pleased Giraffe were satisfactory and made the Matter Manipulator a more balanced option overall.

8. benbos

benbos Void-Bound Voyager

One thing I noticed about the site redesign (which looks great!), is that my browser tries to go to https:// by default, and when that happens, the new site goes pretty wonky (see attached photo). It's fine over http:// though.

Attached Files:

9. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Oh my god, I didn't realise how much I wanted this to be a thing! That's awesome!

10. gridlok

gridlok Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm super excited for 1.0, and really thrilled to see the matter manipulator upgrades!

I remember posting a thread on the Starbound subreddit a couple of years ago, that mapped out a similar upgrade system (http://imgur.com/a/L38gI). I'm really glad to see that a system has been implemented and think it will contribute a lot to the game - not that I want to take the credit! ;)

PabloM likes this.
  11. Samuel's Lab

Samuel's Lab Void-Bound Voyager

one word:
    AMAZING!

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I dig it (ha ha), and I'm really curious just as to what all these expansions MEAN, since this indicates stuff well beyond current scope.

I'm guessing the extra slots where liquid collection go will be where Paint and Wiring go?

How do the other three map out? One's certainly the beam strength/speed, one would be the size of the AOE... what's the third upgradeable aspect? Beam range/distance?

13. TanzNukeTerror

Proc unit is how much matter it can process. Or, size.

Expansion slot is wiring, paint, and water collection.

Power generator is strength, or how fast it mines.

Optics is how far it reaches.

14. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice. I love the new UI. Feels very techy. Only 1 question though. Will we be able to colour our matter manipulaters?

Why would we need that? Because fashion matters most in video games.

15. lemon flavoured

lemon flavoured Aquatic Astronaut

Is this in the nightly already, or are we going to have to wait for the unstable release?

16. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

You mean the thingy that you're holding or the line that is drawn from your thingy? Either could use being colorable, because extra customization *insert sparkles*

17. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

This is a really cool idea. I like the interface and the flexibility this feature will bring.

Dakushau likes this.
  18. TanzNukeTerror

It will most likely be in tonight's build. (About 9.5 hours from now.)

Ninja-edit: Technically it's in the current build as well, but it doesn't work at all. You can spawn it in with: /spawnitem mmupgradeconsole

19. Ironleonem

Ironleonem Poptop Tamer

Woah, x box one support? Does that mean the pc version might be getting controller support too?

lemon flavoured and CyborgChimp like this.
  20. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

@CF, since everybody is talking about cross-plattform games, and since starbound would be coming to xbox one, does that mean, we might play in the same universe?
    would we be able to play with other core versions (x86 / x64) too, or is that still (in the future) limited?

with controller support (eventually) coming, would it be possible to make use of the impuls triggers on the xbone controller for pc??? that would be the BEST THING EVER!!!

We have been hearing from CF that we would get controller support, only question is --- when??