Modding Discussion The SDV Mod Art Review Thread

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Ciriun, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

As a pixel artist who is still improving my craft, I have a bad tendency to take over mod threads with constant art revisions. So I thought it might be nice to have a little spot where anyone making art for game mods can put it up to share and others can come and critique it.

A couple of rules:

1. Constructive criticism only! Do not post just to tell someone you think their art is ugly, and likewise try to keep posts just saying everything looks nice to a minimum. People who post art here are doing it so they can improve their work, not to be berated or flattered.

2. Only share your own work. Do not post something someone else made unless you are in the process of modifying it and want suggestions for what to change.

Also, since this is an art thread, please consider putting the images you post behind a spoiler tag to make it possible for those with slower internet connections to view this thread.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Alright, to kick this thread off, here is my new and improved Banana Tree! (If the leaves look familiar there is a reason for that. :V )
      BananaTreePreview.png

This is a 300x size preview of it, to better show off the detail. Actual size available upon request.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

It looks pretty good. Also I've always used as much stuff over again as possible, working from scratch when needed.
        Can I see bananas on it?

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

It unfortunately looks a bit dumb since this is not at all what growing bananas look like, but I've bemoaned that issue before. If there were a way to put the fruit under the leaves it would look so much better.
          BananaTreePreview2.png

Superior_s likes this.
          • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Hmmm..
            That does seem to be an issue.

• Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

No kidding. It's a bit of a Catch 22, I can either have an accurate tree where the fruit is placed all weird, or something that looks nothing like a real banana tree but can at least hold the fruit. :cry:

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Hang it from the bottom only by the stems? or idk how different it from a coconut tree to mock/duplicate from that?

Superior_s likes this.
                • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

It's how the game natively loads sprites onto a tree. It's not an issue on his side really, thanks for the suggestion though.

• taintedwheat

oooh omg i'm sorry i didn't know. for some reason I thought the position could be edited in like fruit trees.png or something

Superior_s likes this.
                    • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

No need to apologize you didn't do anything wrong. That was my original thought about how the trees worked as well.

taintedwheat likes this.
                      • taintedwheat

Another idea to try retain the feel of the banana tree is widen the green leaves part at the base of where the leaves end/where the trunk begins and make them the leaves themselves curve out more

Superior_s likes this.
                        • bulbaswat

bulbaswat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I'm working on two new mods right now, and would like an opinion on how they look.
                          I'll place them in a spoiler in the off chance someone wants to wait and see the finished product.
                          Umbreon spliced with Absol, using Umbreon as a base
                          Absol > Umbreon
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-1-35.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-2-12.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-2-49.png

Umbreon > Absol (This one's more complete, and as a result there's more to show)
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-4-19.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-4-43.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-5-6.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-5-50.png
                          upload_2016-4-7_13-6-12.png

So what do you think? Any suggestions for improvement?

XaviiKinz likes this.
                          • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

@Ciriun you should possibly add that if your posting images to put them in spoilers as a rule, some people have slow internet, not an issue for me, just a complaint I've seen in the forums.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

They seem alright to me, but I'm looking at them zoomed in on a phone screen currently, I'd probably be get a second opinion, but currently there doesn't seem to be anything glaringly wrong with them.

• taintedwheat

Could we post sketches toward a possible new npc?

• Lechet

Lechet Big Damn Hero

I love your tree so much. It looks so much better.

Ciriun likes this.
                                  • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Good idea, I'll add that to the first post.

Concept sketches are fine, I just want to be sure people aren't posting fanart or random pictures that have nothing to do with modding.

Aww, thank you!

I think the second one could use a few more shades of shadow to better match the SDV style. I'd also suggest rounding the chin of its forward facing sprite a little so it doesn't have a corner.

General note that I might not have a ton of time for spriting from now onward. Work is coming in more frequently and spring is a season of holidays and birthdays for me. I'll still probably be on regularly, I just might not be making as much artwork.

Superior_s likes this.
                                    • taintedwheat

Some simple redits of paintings I made from dogs that were made for me (pug isn't actually done yet) and I donated to the artist for being so goddamn awesome.

[​IMG]
                                      [​IMG]

Superior_s, Ciriun and bulbaswat like this.
                                      • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Very cute doggie paintings!

And sorry I have been away for so dang long, on top of everything else I got hit by the flu. :nurusick: My overall energy levels are still recovering, so no spriting at all has been done lately. So, uh, here, my old kiwi fruit stuff from when I was doing stuff for the rice fields mod. They could use some critiquing. I tried to base them on how kiwi fruit is actually grown according to Google images.

KiwiCrop.png KiwiFruit.png KiwiSeeds.png

taintedwheat and Superior_s like this.
                                        • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

The first stage should be more of a sapling instead of branches(sp) of a tree. Also I'd work on after the 4th stage on through I'm not sure what it is but the leaves I'm not fond of how they look after 3rd stage. The kiwis themselves look fine.

Also you should post this over at more crops after you tighten it up a little.

Thanks for sharing.