1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Honestly, i think they're reimplementing it with the quest system, so you only find out the truth about them during a specific mission.

2. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

That's kind of lame. They should just implement them back in in the same way that they did before; wander around and find out about them gradually, on your own terms. Unless they're suddenly a big part of the plot.

3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I doubt that. It wouldn't make that much sense as the Agarans are mostly encountered in minidungeons and such. What if the player hasn't seen any? They'd be utterly clueless about what Agarans even are in the first place. Besides, it would have to be a big mission, and what CF has said so far there will be only 6, one for each race (no novakid mission for some odd reason). No room for mushrooms...

I can imagine it as a long series of side-quests though. That could be neat.

Faeryheart likes this.
  4. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hey, maybe it could be modded in. :nuruhappy:

The Squid likes this.
  5. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

This is random, but as I was replaying Chrono Cross, I couldn't help but wonder if the Agaran were at all inspired by this party member from the game:
    [​IMG]
    It's always nice to speculate ^_^

6. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

There are mushroom people way further back in the past. Take Matango from 1963 for example:
    [​IMG]

Zebe and The Squid like this.
  7. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

That's cool. I just figured I'd post that pic since they do look so similar

8. Byron Springhill

Byron Springhill Void-Bound Voyager

What kind of planet was this on?

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

From comparing the background to the ones of some old biomes, I'm guessing it was either arid or grasslands. Not sure though.

10. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

If I'm remembering correctly, it was a very old Arid... Could have been anything though, my memory is iffy. The structure, to my knowledge, does not exist in the game anymore though.
    (Also holy necroquote, Batman!)

Zebe likes this.
  11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Used to be neutral about them and was intending to leave them be once found, but now that they are going to begin appearing on starting planets, complete with ugly trees all around them and free ornate wood in their structures, I'm quite likely going to go mushroom hunting and raze them to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  12. ArrowtheHobbit

ArrowtheHobbit Seal Broken

I say they are evil. I have no evidence other than the fact that they follow my avian around once I pass by one. Then I kill them for privacy's sake

13. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

were you holding a weapon?
    they have guards who do not like weapons being held in their settlements, but their language is not translated so you wouldn't know.

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  14. ArrowtheHobbit

ArrowtheHobbit Seal Broken

that is probably a good point :p

15. Killa CookBook

Killa CookBook Tentacle Wrangler

Its late here and I got through the first 10 pages without hearing a bit of mycology?

Is it not simplistic enough to assume ( kinda not really so let me dive in!) that a floran in a grassy pit surrounded by lava is mycelial incubation (this is the process in wich fungal spores spread their ground work to grow when conditions differ) so basically you roll a floran around with some agarans, toss him in a warm dark place, and in a couple of weeks when he comes out to sun light, fresh air, and lower temp he's gonna pin up an produce TONS of agarans.

I really hope this (the agaranenace) is a part of 1.0! I love mycology, and the fact the big apes curious Georges (the green mutated apex one the labs) look not too dissimilar to a nearly mutated mushroom humanoid is enough fore to love this as content!

I said I didn't read very far into the thread and all this may be way out of tune with what's really going on, but as I read the 140 Some odd pages I'll edit if this is irrelevant or redundant!

16. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

It's not irrelevant at all. I think that's a new theory, and it seems fairly realistic.

17. shamos2000

shamos2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, guys, I finally decided to post something!... Guys? *Checks date* Well, looks might be a little late to the party.

18. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

What Killa CookBook wrote is -not- a new theory. I still remember when this thread was relatively new and theories were being thrown around as new Agaran content was being added, screenshots were posted of new things, and the devs gave us more hints. It sounds, more-or-less, like a summary of two prevailing theories. Namely, (1) Evidence that Agarans use heat (via lava) to convert captured Florans into more of themselves and (2) some sort of link between Apex lab experiments and Agarans. Another prevailing theory (3) is that the sap-whatever stuff they feed Florans in Floran prisons leads to their conversion to Agarans.

Edit:

If it is really too much to read this entire thread, you could try starting to read around page 100 or so, where things get really interesting with McVicar's reports and such. In particular, Karismon's report on Apex labs is compelling evidence of a link between Apex experimentation and Agarans. There's also Thing124ok's summary of the first 107 pages.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  19. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

*sips tea in a strange nostalgia, watching the old lore burn in the fires of 1.0*

The drysap's relation to the Agarans wasn't really ever a big thing, if I recall correctly. There was only one type of structure (floran being held in a room under an agaran house) where a drysap dispenser was included. I remember theorizing once that the dispenser was only there only to sustain the floran, as drysap allowed florans to survive longer without water.

20. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

Perhaps calling it a "prevailing" theory was being too generous. However, when it was first introduced it was a rather hot topic.

Actually, the presence of a drysap dispenser under an Agaran house was just one piece of evidence. An important piece, to be sure. But I think the most evidence for this theory was certain game lore. In particular, Greenfinger's Notes made mention of drysap. If I recall correctly, some of those mentions were peculiar and highly suggestive of a plot.
    A lot of the game lore indicates that Greenfinger was working together with Big Ape and Thornwing towards some goal(s), probably sinister in nature. Indeed, it seems that Greenfinger was (accidentally?) responsible for what happened to Earth.

Regardless, we'll just have to play the game or stay tuned to the forums to find out. Our theories may no longer be as relevant because Cheerful Giraffe redacted some of the lore and removed some of the codexes.

Zebe likes this.