RELEASED Custom Animal Breeds Toolkit (V0.6.1.2: Now with Lite Mode)

Discussion in 'Modding Tools' started by Lavapulse, Mar 31, 2016.

1. XxhexerxX

XxhexerxX Phantasmal Quasar

Can't work for me since my game is not installed at the specified file location.
    Will be keeping an eye on this, will make my life so much easier to add/change animal breeds.

Lavapulse likes this.
    • josephortiz

josephortiz Poptop Tamer

Thanks for updating list.

Lavapulse likes this.
      • EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

I tried installing this, but couldn't get it to work as I wasn't sure where/how to install it, but now the toolkit won't let me delete it as it's constantly running, even after the pc has restarted! It won't let me end the process in task manager either!

• Lavapulse

Lavapulse Phantasmal Quasar

That's odd. It's a relatively simple program; there's nothing in the program that should cause that. No threads rely on core system resources. It doesn't need to be installed in any way, just unzipped and run. It could be problem with your computer, possibly with user permissions. I'm sure you have, but have you tried deleting the files? If so, what happens? What's the actual error message(s)?

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

"The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again"

Problem is, it won't let me close it! It's the "TotallyTubularToolkit" application file in the data folder.

• Lavapulse

Ok. So something definitely is running and/or open. What happens when you try to close it?

EDIT: try closing other programs that are running. If you have any of the files open in a text or photo editor, your computer won't let you delete the file either.

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

"The operation could not be completed. Access is denied"

It started doing this last night after I gave up trying to figure out how to install it. I figured it was a pc f***up, and if I turned off the computer for the night, then it'd be fine in the morning... but nope, still doing it. Gah :/ Thanks for trying to help me though! Hopefully we're figure it out :)

• Lavapulse

Alright, so then it's a permissions problem. I'm guessing it's one of two things:

1. Make sure the folder isn't placed in any protected areas (such as under your program files)
                  2. Make sure your user has more than read-only permission to access the files. Check by right-clicking the file and choosing "Properties"

If you're not the administrator on the computer, Windows can bungle up permissions for your "protection". This is common if you share the computer with other people.

EDIT: Same goes for the files themselves. Make sure they aren't "read-only" for your user.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
                  • EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

It's not a shared computer though. My husband has his own PC on the desk next to mine, (we're both big gamers). :)

The files are on my desktop. Properties say it's not read-only. *confused*

**UPDATE** Decided to restart my computer again to see if I could delete them afterwards...it lets me finally delete the file. WTH? Computers annoy me so much sometimes >.< Thanks for all your help though! :D

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
                    • Lavapulse

I'm super confused as well. There is literally no reason this should happen. If restarting your computer didn't help, I'd recheck the full permissions list (on my computer it's Properties-->Security (the tab)), and if there's really nothing unchecked there, you can try force-killing the process via command prompt.

Run cmd with administrator privileges (should be an option if you right-click cmd.exe). Win+R to find it more easily.
                      Once open, type "tasklist" to get a list of running tasks.
                      Then type "Taskkill /IM application.exe /F" replacing "application.exe" with the name of the task.

EDIT: Probably goes without saying, but type the above without the quotes. You press "Enter" when you're done typing a command.
                      EDIT2: This command is a force close, which should be stronger than ending the process from Task Manager.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
                      • nickelcurry

nickelcurry Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh boy! Thank you for making this :D

Lavapulse likes this.
                        • EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

Ok, I'm trying to get this to work again (I REALLY want more breeds in my game), so I've managed to figure out the Xnb_node, which is now in its correct place with ContentUnpacked. But when I select your toolkit.exe to start it up, it doesn't seem to run? I can see a loading symbol, but then nothing happens. *confused*

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
                          • Ankou

Ankou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really do love this tool, it makes it very easy to maintain my needlessly diverse ranch. I haven't had any issues with it either, for what it's worth (though I haven't used it to create a breed yet, since I haven't added any more since that feature was added to the tool.) Probably my favorite part over manual save editing is better control over which animal you are altering. To find the name and then find the correct type in the save was always just troublesome enough I never bothered, but with this it's very simple to make sure Pepper the chicken is the black silkie or whatever.

Thank you for making and sharing it!

I'm very excited for custom produce, if you can get that working. It's something I've been toying with myself (trying to add a chocobo to the barn that either lays eggs or, more simply based on the pig, digs up gysahl greens) but I'm honestly not good enough at modding. I think I have a decent grasp on how to add an item and get the animal to produce that item but have no idea how to get the item to use the image I want... and with you working on adding that functionality to this tool I'm not to inclined to try!

Lavapulse likes this.
                            • Lavapulse

I believe xnb_node is supposed to be installed directly in your StardewValley folder, not in a folder of its own or in ContentUnpacked. It's likely the program is having trouble finding your xnb_node installation, but if so, it should launch in "lite" mode which it doesn't sound like is happening. If the tool is giving you too many troubles, it is possible to add the breeds manually (I put instructions on that in this thread). Sorry this has been so frustrating for you.

I'm really glad it was helpful to you! Custom products are nearly working -- I've just got to finish the save editor portion of it that will allow you to assign your custom produce to your animals. The new version will include a few other updates including some bug fixes and the ability to identify an alternate Stardew Valley install directory. Per the issues @EmmaLVV was having, I'll probably also include the ability to identify your xnb_node install directory if undetected.

TTTV0.7 -- Install Product.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
                                IronZelly and Ankou like this.
                              • TheSage

TheSage Void-Bound Voyager

I seem to be getting the cannot find farmanimals.yaml error also. I have the xnb_node extracted into the primary stardew folder and the other program files for it in the folder it creates "app."

Am I required to store the custom animal breeds toolkit in my primary stardew folder? Does this program require I unpack all of the content files using xnb_node. If so, is there a folder name I am required to use for that content folder. From my understanding this tool does the unpacking/packing on its own. So it just requires I extract the xnb_node files into my stardew directory, extract this tool into a folder on my desktop, and click on the exe file.

I don't believe I am getting the light version as all the tabs are available on top, "Initially I was getting the light version, my steam install folder was on my e drive, however, I reinstalled on the c drive and now have the four tabs.

I have attempted using this toolkit with both 2.1 and 2.2 node extracted "One at a time of course," both of which lead to me getting that same net framework error when I click the load farm animals button and tell me I am missing the farmanimals.yaml file. Side note, I am able to unpack and put a farmanimals.yaml file into the correct folder and get it to load without the error, I am guessing if I do it that way it will require I then repack the file and replace the original? Sorry I know this is all rather discombobulated, I guess I was thinking that provided the files were in the correct folders it would just be a matter of adding the sprites, saving, and away I go. I am a bit confused now.

After messing around with this I was able to take the files needed by unpacking everything, I took a sprite set that was created for one of your new chicken breeds and attempted to save it as a new animal, it gave me an error message, something to the effect of cannot locate file, and the file it was looking for was the xmb of the new chicken breed I was attempting to create.

Haha, even if I were willing to go through the extra steps, "Not all that bad," it still doesnt allow me to save it, haha. I dunno, I may be hoping for a miracle. My initial interest in this was a hope that I could start taking sprite sets that were made and attempt to make new animals that could be farmed, in hopefully a brand new category for each new animal species, for personal use, I would then of course write up a tutorial so others could utilize the process when they are actually creating new animals. I am willing to put the time in and go through testing everything in multiple steps but cannot seem to get past this initial hurdle. What hope do I have in doing everything else, lol. Well any help would be appreciated, its three where I am at and I think I may go to bed. Again thanks for any help :)

If I were to accomplish the added animal type it would be more for others to use as I am absolute crap at editing sprites, but any forward motion I can assist on in this awesome game I would love to provide.

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

Sorry for not being very clear in my post before, but I meant that I'd done everything THIS post told me to do, up to step 5 (hence the part about ContentUnpacked). Xnb_node IS in my Stardew Valley folder. I finally got the toolkit to work though! :D

• TheSage

Emma, what did you end up doing to get the toolkit to work? I am at the same place and seem to be stuck.

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

Open up the toolkit folder you downloaded, and place the single "TotallyTubularToolkit" shortcut on your desktop. After that, place the rest of the folder in the "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Stardew Valley" area!

TheSage likes this.
                                      • TheSage

Aha, thank you Emma, you are a genius.

Several things that were not clear for me in the beginning. The first hang up was when the posts said "Install the xnb_node program." That in itself was a bit of a misnomer, the installation is actually just an extraction to the correct folder, and the command prompt being run.

That command prompt then just makes the additional folder *ContentUnpacked* and it contains all of the cracked open files you got when you ran the command prompt. That is what they mean by installing xnb_node.

After doing this, I did as you mentioned and for clarity's sake, Emma said put all of the files contained in the toolkit into you primary stardew folder. So take all of the files in the data folder and put them directly into the stardew folder, *Do Not Keep The Files In The Data Folder* *Putting the data folder into your stardew folder will not work, they all need to be pulled out and put directly into the stardew folder* Once this is done you just click the totallytubulartoolkit.exe file contained in your stardew directory. It will open properly and you can now run the program as explained.

One more thing I think might be worth mentioning, your steam install and steam game folder for stardew may need to both be on the c drive. I personally had all of my steam files, both installation of steam and my stardew game install data on an f drive I have set up for my games. I physically had to uninstall steam and reinstall it on the c drive along with installing stardew on the c drive. My other steam games remained on the f drive I have.

• EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

Ha! I'm fair from being a genius, I've only gotten as far as this by trial and error so far. Still actually haven't managed to figure out "how" to get the different breeds into the game, especially as I want to add the other animals like rabbits etc. as well :D

Yeah the xnb_node stumped me at first as well, as it wasn't clear on how/where you installed it. Same for the tool kit - I was like, "where the hell do I put this? Why is it not working?" :unsure: I doubt you had to uninstall Steam though, the C drive was just where the files for my game were, so you probably could have altered that part for your own system!

Question for the creator - When I try to add the baby and adult images for goats and pigs, only adult shows up. Is that normal?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016