WIP [SMAPI] Ashley NPC - New NPC

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Travoos, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Travoos

Travoos Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

I just picked up Stardew Valley, got obsessed with it, and decided to try modding it. First thing I wanted to do was add an NPC so I did. It's Ashley I guess, I don't know why, but it's Ashley. Also I'm not an artist so don't expect anything more than some fairly basic sprite edits

This mod requires SMAPI, BUT it doesn't modify any existing XNB files, only adds its own. It also gives the wizard a couple new lines of dialogue involving Ashley, adds an Ashley cutscene at 6 hearts, and adds Ashley to a few of the festivals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ashley has no real reason for existing yet, so hold on while I just brainstorm something useful for days because I'm extremely uncreative

EXPECT BUGS (and tell me about them), BACKUP YOUR SAVE (if you even want to use it with an existing save), I HAVEN'T DONE EXTENSIVE TESTING OF THIS MOD, AND IT DOES A LOT OF STRANGE THINGS

Download links:
    Old version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddb34528tzctc4b/AshleyMod_release.zip?dl=0
    SMAPI 0.39.2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxvvklf3mxaszxx/AshleyMod_0.39.2.zip?dl=0

Source code if anyone wants that:
    https://github.com/Club559/AshleyMod

Installation: Copy the contents of the zip to your Stardew Valley installation folder (where your Content folder and Mods folder are).

This was tested with version 0.38.4 alpha of SMAPI, I don't know if the mod would be an issue with other versions of SMAPI.

Also credits to some idiot who wrote some dialogue and wanted some credit

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    • radynaraya

radynaraya Subatomic Cosmonaut

what?! so SMAPI now can add more characters!? May i ask how you did it? Its said the latest SMAPI still have future plans for adding NPC.

• Travoos

Adding NPCs in SMAPI is really easy. It only takes a few lines of code. The hard part of this mod was adding the NPC to festivals, giving them events, and modifying some dialogue all without editing XNBs.

XaviiKinz and Drogean like this.
        • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Really good work! Excellent as a base mod for adding custom Npcs and items. I can finally start working on adding new Npcs as soon as I make the mod I am working on.

Drogean likes this.
          • Joaje

Joaje Aquatic Astronaut

Lol i'm that idiot that asked for credit

Alina_Mau, Drogean, sirentu and 4 others like this.
            • james0019

james0019 Void-Bound Voyager

tested and working with SMAPI version 0.39.4 alpha but no beach scene event. Untitled.png

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

She seems really cool so far. If I get into using swampi I think I'll add her.

• Travoos

james0019 likes this.
                • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:poke:
                  this is the best thing i've read today:DD:giggle:

• Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

Awesome mod X3 its nice to know we can now add some new NPC's and really make each game unique...Personally I'm kind of excitied for maybe some new spouses maybeeeeee -dose puppy dog eyes-

• Joaje

Joaje Aquatic Astronaut

I work with this guy and he had a dateable jas mod but he said he wasn't gonna release it
                      but overall he can make anyone dateable with little effort, they just aren't unique

• TheSage

TheSage Void-Bound Voyager

Not really sure what the protocol is on this sort of thread. Normally I just creep on any forum I go to. I dunno if its alright to throw out ideas/requests. I was looking at her sprites and saw your mention of her not having a real reason to exist yet and I thought, she would make an awesome dwarf "Or other fantasy creature" wearing a people skin costume.

With her already being involved as the wizards apprentice it would be awesome if she wreaked some well meaning magical disasters. Maybe a story line involving her attempting to regrow a forest in some area so the other dwarfs would return only to have the vines/trees grow out of control.

After several of these disasters and at the end of her first story arch she gets a handle on her power and opens a gateway to a fantasy creature town. Where she finds out she is actually their lost princess.

Sorry, probably a bit much and I didn't see any bit where you were okay to requests/ideas, so if it isn't feel free to delete my post. I shall return to my creeping now :)

• Travoos

Well, I'm no total coding master sadly so it's just a little out of my reach
                          All I wanted to do was make it so she could give you a new type of fertilizer but I couldn't even do that

• TheSage

TheSage Void-Bound Voyager

Aww okay, well thank you for responding anyway :) I myself don't believe I could do any sort of modding, so even just adding her is miles ahead of me. Great work !!! and Thank you, shes an awesome addition.

• MaximumZero

MaximumZero Void-Bound Voyager

Any chance of doing a "for dummies" guide? There's a lot more than "a few lines of code" in your git, and I can't really tell what's important and what's not.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

A) Create NPC (See AshleyNPC.cs)
                                :cool: Add NPC to areas you want it (See gameEvents_updateTick in AshleyMod.cs)
                                C) Hope stuff doesnt blow up

Getting a custom NPC in the game does only take a tiny bit of code, giving it a personality, tastes, events, behaviours... That takes a whole lot more! :p

• MaximumZero

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

• MaximumZero

*bump* Dumb question time. How would I go about adding a sprite and portrait to the game?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Amburr likes this.
                                    • MaximumZero

Excellent. Much appreciated.