1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Crashing when enter Chicken coop and naming chicken

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kaillou, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Kaillou

Kaillou Void-Bound Voyager

when i enter my coop it asks me to name the chicken then i crash after naming it. my files are clean and i've tried cleaning it. i used mods to find what the problem was and this is what i got
    [​IMG]

Chicken coop ending my farming life

• Dzony_B

Dzony_B Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same problem here. i hatched one void chicken and when i name second one it just crashes. I also have 2 dinosaur eggs inside and some bunnies. but now i cant even enter my coop. please help,i finally got my greenhouse,i dont want to restart AGAIN!

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What were you trying to name it?

• Dzony_B

anything and everything. i tried picking random names but as soon as i click ok it freezes and i need to close the game. :(

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Ahh. I was making sure you weren't trying to name it the same thing as another item/character in the game world. You didn't name any of your other animals with the same name as something else, did you?

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

That's very peculiar; if you haven't named any animals that may conflict with any other existing names then it should be okay. If you have some mods installed it might be the problem.

• Dzony_B

ah... i do have mods,il try launching game with normal launcher and no mods,not modding api. also i can use save editor to check animal names. BRB (little sidenote: do NOT use save editor to additem or change values,not because of ruening the game,it will corrupt your save file. lesson learner the hard way :( )

DAAAMN, it dies even faster with no mods,just error window pops out and says memory could not be read and click ok to terminate the program. any ideas guys? too bad i cant use save editor to delete that damned coop. F-ing void chickens.

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

The entire game could be corrupted, it'll help if you upload a file for someone to check out. I'll also suggest reinstalling the game.

• Dzony_B

i assume you mean safe file... it wont let me for some (extention) reason. so im doomed to restart again.... god damn it :'( and i just finished quality crops bundle. :(

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

The corrupted file so we can check what's wrong and what exactly do you mean it won't let you?

• Dzony_B

i tried to upload safe file here but failed. Well its not important any more,i deleted tho old save and restarted...void chickens,never again.

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

Void chickens are fairly useless from what I can see anyway. I had fun with it for a while, but sold it off, then The wizard's wife flew over the next night. Which annoyed me. I just sold the egg straight to shipping T_T and gave the wizard a Fairy rose, hoping that he would ask his wife to not be a senile witch and turn my precious eggs into void eggs.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Sorry to hear that happened. Just in the future, do not under any circumstances, name anything with the same name as something else in the game (NPC, item, etc). The game runs by names... if you name a chicken "Chest", it will try to act like a treasure chest. If you name your pet "Shane", you'll get two Shanes in the relationship panel and it'll just go south from there as the game gets more and more confused as to what's going on.

Hopefully, this will eventually get fixed (or at least a prompt saying 'you can't name it that'), but for now... just be careful what you name them.

• Dzony_B

hahahhaa.. thats sick. il watch out but i name my thing by my things :rofl: really immature but its funny to name horse C** Blaster and chickens C***. dog is Biscuit....
                              il just play it sure and name chickens with some really unusual insults so there is no chance of that bug. :D

ah.. now to suffer for the greenhouse again... i recommend mods to add more space in there.

• DeadpoolsKatana

DeadpoolsKatana Space Hobo

I'm having a similar problem with you and I've edited my save file to remove my duck named Marnie but it did nothing. It still crashes everytime I enter my Co-op to name my hatched Void Chicken.

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

If you wanna upload your save file I can take a look at it for you and see if I can fix it.

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

In my browser, the upload function on this forum initiates an open-file dialog which only shows designated file types, as seen in the attached screenshot. If you are using Windows, select your save files, right-click, select Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder, and press enter. Consult the attached image, zip.jpg, for assistance. If you're not on windows or you don't have a zip option, then simply add the following text to the end of the file names: '.txt'. Upload the .zip or .txt file.

Attached Files:

• DeadpoolsKatana

DeadpoolsKatana Space Hobo

I downloaded a mod that lets me destroy the Co-op regardless of the animals inside to amend the problem.

That said, I'd be happy to try again. Hopefully, I encounter the same problem with the void-chickens again.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Wait, what's stopping you from opening the coop's gate, letting the chickens come out, and then selling/moving each one to empty the coop? Or do you have a chicken that's trying to hatch and THAT is what's crashing the game?

• sukuyan.the.fallen

sukuyan.the.fallen Void-Bound Voyager

If the issue the OP is having is the same as mine then it's that there is a chicken (or something) trying to hatch and when you enter a name it freezes the game to the point where you have to force close it to do anything. In my coop I have a dinosaur and void chicken attempting to hatch in the same day. I can name and hatch my dinosaur but when I try to hatch and name my void chicken the game freezes. I checked my names of all my animals, I'm not trying to name my void chicken the same as any others. The coop will only have 9 animals in it once the chicken hatches and I have it upgraded to the maximum size so number of animals in it is not a problem. All of my animals are very happy, so that rules out that as an issue. Only thing I can think is that hatching two void chickens in one day might be an issue, going to check that now and see if waiting till the next day makes it work.

*So waiting till the next day doesn't make a difference still crashes the game....hope they figure this out soon, really annoying not being able to enter my coop

**Second Edit** So I figured out how to fix this sort of, you will NEED to make a backup copy of your save file because you are going to be going into a text editor to delete lines from the save file. If you do not make a backup and it breaks your game don't blame me, I did warn you. Anyway here is what you are going to be looking for in the save file that you need to delete:

<Object>
                                          <specialVariable>0</specialVariable>
                                          <category>-9</category>
                                          <specialItem>false</specialItem>
                                          <hasBeenInInventory>false</hasBeenInInventory>
                                          <Name>Incubator</Name>
                                          <Stack>1</Stack>
                                          <tileLocation>
                                          <X>21</X><Y>7</Y>
                                          </tileLocation>
                                          <parentSheetIndex>103</parentSheetIndex>
                                          <owner>0</owner>
                                          <name>Incubator</name>
                                          <type>Crafting</type>
                                          <canBeSetDown>true</canBeSetDown>
                                          <canBeGrabbed>true</canBeGrabbed>
                                          <isHoedirt>false</isHoedirt>
                                          <isSpawnedObject>false</isSpawnedObject>
                                          <questItem>false</questItem>
                                          <isOn>true</isOn>
                                          <fragility>2</fragility>
                                          <price>0</price>
                                          <edibility>-300</edibility>
                                          <stack>1</stack>
                                          <quality>0</quality>
                                          <bigCraftable>true</bigCraftable>
                                          <setOutdoors>true</setOutdoors>
                                          <setIndoors>false</setIndoors>
                                          <readyForHarvest>false</readyForHarvest>
                                          <showNextIndex>false</showNextIndex>
                                          <flipped>false</flipped>
                                          <hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>false</hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>
                                          <isRecipe>false</isRecipe>
                                          <isLamp>false</isLamp>
                                          <heldObject>
                                          <specialVariable>0</specialVariable>
                                          <category>-5</category>
                                          <specialItem>false</specialItem>
                                          <hasBeenInInventory>false</hasBeenInInventory>
                                          <Name>Void Egg</Name>
                                          <Stack>1</Stack>
                                          <tileLocation>
                                          <X>0</X><Y>0</Y>
                                          </tileLocation>
                                          <parentSheetIndex>305</parentSheetIndex>
                                          <owner>0</owner>
                                          <name>Void Egg</name>
                                          <type>Basic</type>
                                          <canBeSetDown>true</canBeSetDown>
                                          <canBeGrabbed>true</canBeGrabbed>
                                          <isHoedirt>false</isHoedirt>
                                          <isSpawnedObject>false</isSpawnedObject>
                                          <questItem>false</questItem>
                                          <isOn>true</isOn>
                                          <fragility>0</fragility>
                                          <price>50</price>
                                          <edibility>15</edibility>
                                          <stack>1</stack>
                                          <quality>0</quality>
                                          <bigCraftable>false</bigCraftable>
                                          <setOutdoors>false</setOutdoors>
                                          <setIndoors>false</setIndoors>
                                          <readyForHarvest>false</readyForHarvest>
                                          <showNextIndex>false</showNextIndex>
                                          <flipped>false</flipped>
                                          <hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>false</hasBeenPickedUpByFarmer>
                                          <isRecipe>false</isRecipe>
                                          <isLamp>false</isLamp>
                                          <minutesUntilReady>0</minutesUntilReady>
                                          <boundingBox>
                                          <X>0</X><Y>0</Y>
                                          <Width>64</Width>
                                          <Height>64</Height>
                                          <Location>
                                          <X>0</X><Y>0</Y>
                                          </Location>
                                          </boundingBox>
                                          <scale>
                                          <X>0</X><Y>0</Y>
                                          </scale>
                                          </heldObject>
                                          <minutesUntilReady>-3720</minutesUntilReady>

<boundingBox>
                                          <X>1344</X><Y>448</Y>
                                          <Width>64</Width>
                                          <Height>64</Height>
                                          <Location>
                                          <X>1344</X><Y>448</Y>
                                          </Location>
                                          </boundingBox>
                                          <scale>
                                          <X>6.39999437</X><Y>8.699997</Y>
                                          </scale>
                                          </Object>
                                          </value>
                                          </item>
                                          <item>
                                          <key>
                                          <Vector2>
                                          <X>5</X><Y>6</Y>
                                          </Vector2>
                                          </key>
                                          <value>

Keep in mind that your text may not look exactly like this in your save file as the locations of our coops may be different and make sure that if you have an egg incubating in each coop that you don't remove the wrong one. Biggest thing to look for is the Void Egg lines that I colored red. If you delete ONLY the text that I colored red then you will only be removing the void egg from the incubator. This should allow you to enter your coop without any issues. You will loose the egg but I think we can agree it's a small price to pay when compared to having to restart the game or loosing our entire coop because we can't access it anymore. This should also work if the egg causing the problem is not a void egg but one of the others, just look for the egg type that you are trying to hatch and delete the same lines highlighted here but that corresponds to the egg that is causing the problems, if that makes sense. I hope that this works for everyone having this issue. Good luck and happy farming!

~Sukuyan

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
                                            MayaMayhem and RushToward like this.