1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbards.net has returned!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MajorCyto, Apr 1, 2016.

1. MajorCyto

MajorCyto Phantasmal Quasar

Hi everyone,

Some of you older members may remember the music site "Starbards.net", this was back in 2014 so it's ok if you do not. Basically the goal was to provide a site just for ABC Notation (music code playing for starbound) that anyone could contribute to and peruse for their enjoyment. Aside from it just being code, there are also song previews so you can hear what it sounds like before taking it into the game!

Unfortunately back then (in 2014) i had personally ran into some issue which ultimately led to the closure of the site, as well as all of my other projects i was working on. Now we are here in 2016 and i am back, and ready to provide a music sharing community site again. If any of you play the MMORPG Mabinogi, i also run the site MabiBeats.com it just turned 1 year old in March! So for its birthday, i have now also re-opened Starbards.net using the code and improvements i built into MabiBeats.

Unfortunately i switched to a new set of RAID hard drives this last year in 2015 and no longer have the original site archive from 2014 to kick-start the music library with. If anyone has it, please pm it to me! I would love to import it back into the site. We are looking for people to contribute to our music library and help grow us back into a great musical sharing database again.

I hope to see some of you there!

StarBards

P.S - On here i am MajorCyto but on Starbards, and MabiBeats i am known as "Yasuno"

==================

FAQ

Q) Will you be running the starbards game server again!!
    A) Not at this time, maybe in the future..

Q) What happened to all the old songs in the database!
    A) I switched to a new set of hard drives and lost the archive, please pm me it if you have a copy!

Q) Why did starbards.net leave before?
    A) We ran out of money, and it was a difficult time in my life in 2014, i am doing much better now.

Q) This site is stupid, we already have music packs we can download!
    A) Some will not find this useful i agree, but some might enjoy being able to preview the songs live before adding them to their client or loading it into Starbound Composer

Q) Are there any other benefits to this?
    A) Song submissions can have comments, likes, follows, and reviews. Show some love for your favorite content providers!

Q) Do i have to register?
    A) Not at all, feel free to browse.

Q) I already use MabiBeats, can i use my same login?!
    A) Yes, your same login will work!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Proydoha and Beatrice like this.
  2. MajorCyto

Friendly Bump, this is not an April Fool's joke. xD

3. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

I totally expected the abc files to be replaced with rickroll

4. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Either that or "You are an idiot" theme, which is pretty recognizable, and can be a substitute for April's "Fool".

5. MajorCyto

Yeah, i picked a terrible day to re-open the site.. i forgot all about it being April Fool's....

We will be adding more music over time to expand the available choices!

6. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Good for you then, I'm will totally check it out

I like the way you categorise music based number of player required

Also, since your site hasn't got much in there i'll put my suggestion here
    1. A list of abc files that can be rearranged by date and endorsement
    2. Category or tag for recommended instrument
      • Search function based on instrument
    3. Option to upload multiple files at once
    4. Increase the file intake
      1. Politely ask modder if incase they want to store their files in your website
      2. Download the abc from other royalty free website
      3. Just basically anything to maximise the database
    I'll start making donation there

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  7. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Also... I can't seems to sign onto your site
    [​IMG]

8. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

While we're on the subject of bad April Fool's pranks, 'daily view limit'.

9. thesilentsong

thesilentsong Void-Bound Voyager

The security check is not letting me register, either. :kitten2:

10. MajorCyto

Hey, thank you for your suggestions i will make sure to note these down. What do you mean however by "upload multiple files at once" ?

Tagging is already possible as well, i just need to enable the system and put it into use. Good idea though using it for the instrument to filter further.

Sorry, but as we found out with our MabiBeats site which has over 3,000 members that in the beginning when we did not have the database view limiter we had massive amounts of leeching daily. We track analytics, and our MabiBeats site gets over 1.9 million hits a month. Before we implemented the limiter we had almost zero registrations, we had to end up enabling that because no one was leaving reviews or likes/comments on user song submissions which is not fun as a content creator.

People who take the time to make music (especially on MabiBeats because its not as easy as it is with Starbound Composer) like to receive feedback for their hard work and time. Even if it is a simple like, if they never receive any feedback ever then they get discouraged from bothering to continue creating new content.

Like the message says however, if you register you get unlimited views of all the databases, forever. You don't even have to post or anything if you don't want to.. just log in and your good.

I apologize about this, i think the registration problem is fixed now. We tested it a few times, i also enabled facebook and google registration login for anyone who wants it. Please let me know if the error is still persisting for you!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  11. MajorCyto

Been a while, friendly bump for the midweek.

12. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welcome back, and thanks for multi-purposing your server to host both game's agendas. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be thrilled that you are trying this again, and who would also be able to contribute. I was not an original member, but I will do my best to contribute whatever songs I may have. May the SB music community prosper!

13. theedman123

theedman123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Keep an eye out for me on the site old friend... Paul Oakbeak, Starbounder himself, has returned to Starbards as his newest and most beloved form, THE MIGHTY TURLES!!!

14. MajorCyto

Hey, it's no problem i really like Starbound but was waiting till the game got close to 1.0 before coming back again. I hope people find it useful!

Thank's for your post on the forums, and for sharing your music pack! We really appreciate it and will get to work on adding it.

15. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Great! StarBARDS is back! :D

I "rescued" some of your Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger files before the site was shut down. Not sure which ones I took from StarBards, however I made a list back then regarding tracks not composed by myself...

MajorCyto likes this.
  16. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I need to ask, Mcaffee says your site is dangerous. False positive?

17. MajorCyto

Odd, first i have ever heard of something like this. Nothing malicious in our site, its based on Invision Power Board which is widely used around the web for community forum software, and we heavily modified one of their add-ons to produce our music databases. Not sure what its picking up as dangerous. =[

18. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

*shrug* I don't know. Mcafee is rather weird at times. It even thinks Deviantart is dangerous and i have go to it daily.

19. MajorCyto

Wow, well Deviant Art is definitely safe so not sure what is going on there with McAfee lol.

gameboytj likes this.
  20. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

yeah i know *shrug*