Starbound still deleting saves or safe to play?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by ohsofluffeh, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ohsofluffeh

ohsofluffeh Void-Bound Voyager

Every year I play Starbound for awhile and then some patch hits and all save data is gone forever.
    This has happened twice so far..
    it is very discouraging, especially when the 2nd time was after "saves will never be deleted again."

Thinking of trying to play again since a third year has started, are saves still being deleted?
    Will we keep our progress when the game pops out of Early Access?

edit: oops wrong forum and no delete option

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Don't worry about that. It'll be moved.

That's only a question where we all want the answer to be "no". But right now nobody knows for certain.

At least you get to re start the game again and get to see all of the new additions :p

It only happened once for me. And that was back in like 2014 when I first bought it. I didn't play it for nearly a year, went back and my person was missing. Lucky I never did too much with her. (Computer was a laptop with 2 less screens back then) :p

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

There are no more planned character wipes during the beta.

However that leaves unplanned character wipes and save corruptions and stuff like that.

Also there may or may not be a release wipe.

4. Froggod

Froggod Void-Bound Voyager

oh well, I'll check back in another year :(

5. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

You'll probably get more than enough playtime until the 1.0 comes out. When it finally does, all the new features are worth starting over. You can "finish" the current game in about 2 days if you rush through. After that it's exploring and building.

6. p3827

p3827 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Saves will lost, when disk has errors (use chkdsk id diski with have You game folder), od archive giraffe_storage catalog.

Other ocasion lost states is, when Your's comp be hanging.

7. p3827

Third occasion lost saves is logout system withnout normal exit game. These same is hard power off comp.

8. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

as from what i saw of the nightly is extremely different, i believe that there will be a mandatory wipe to be able to play the 1.0 release.

9. Piemanlives

Piemanlives Subatomic Cosmonaut

I doubt you'll need to wipe your character once 1.0 hits, still, I wouldn't recommend starting a new character right now.

10. p3827

I will restore all saves in last stored files.

11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I doubt it too. But they haven't guaranteed anything more then "no planned wipes during the beta". That they feelt it necessary to add "during the beta" was the part that got me twitchy since it implies possible wipes after the beta.

12. p3827

For surface on disk or another information carrier, when be errors or other damage, nothing helps any super-recording system