RELEASED Cats instead of Children

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Delsin7, Mar 15, 2016.

1. MikSacred

MikSacred Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Uh.. here are some screens of what I'm working on. They're almost done and then all thats left will be testing them out.

I'm not great at this stuff so pointers would be welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Delsin7, digitalsonder and rhomboid like this.
    • Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Ok, I did two versions of the midget siamese. One has a dark chin, the other light. They are both in the zip archive.

Siamese colours are really hard to do as pixels, lol. Lots of shades of tans, browns, and blacks. Grey-blue eyes also, so I just made them black. (if they were blue-ish then it looks like holes in poor kitty's head, oddly enough) If someone is good at shading, feel free to take a brush to the kitteh.

Attached Files:

digitalsonder likes this.
      • Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Yay cats! Well something (that I just looked up and used tonight) is how to switch a single colour to another colour in GIMP. Not sure what program you are using, but in Gimp its Colors->Map->Color Exchange. If you have the color you want to exchange selected manually or with dropper, then the color to be changed will be selected. Then you can insert the color id or manually select the color you want it to become. Presto! https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-exchange.html

• MikSacred

MikSacred Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I'm using GraphicsGale and it has something similar, I try to use it when I can but it doesn't always work the way I want lol. So I end up having to go over the pixels. Which is okay as I enjoy seeing my ideas come together and trying to figure out the best way to try and get things to look nice.

Thinking of trying to edit the nursery into a cat play room. I am just in the planning stages, I have to find all the sprite sheets and think of how best to redesign everything..

• elyneara

elyneara Void-Bound Voyager

really excited to see more, any plans for toddler replacement?

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Hmm, I just checked the toddler sprite sheet. It is way too narrow for a direct baby-cat spritesheet transfer...like super narrow. (25-33% less space) I think if someone creates a Storm/SMapi mod that can alter the sprite selector code it'd work, but until then all it'd make is weird smooshed cats. Definitely interested though, we can all use more cats.

• digitalsonder

digitalsonder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AaaAaah, THANK YOUUUU! I wish I could see it in game.... *cries*

• digitalsonder

digitalsonder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, I downloaded it and it looks so cute<33 I edited it a bit if you don't mind... but I can't turn it into an .xnb file. [​IMG]
                  For some reason I really want to name the cat Toast xDD They remind me of cinnamon toast.... mmmm.... xD
                  Edits include: Changing the eyes, the color of the tongue, and some other small pixels I can't remember

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
                    rhomboid likes this.
                  • Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Ah there are 2 xnb files in the midget siamese zip folder, you can then extract and repack the xnb one you want with the changes you made. This is a step-by-step guide to doing xnb things http://imgur.com/a/44FO5.

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do these also edit toddlers then? :)

• elyneara

elyneara Void-Bound Voyager

I'd be willing to try to do a Storm/SMapi mod to alter the selection code. I am a developer, I just haven't worked with the Stardew valley mod tools beyond sprite edits. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn about Storm/SMapi so I can do that?

• Jokerine

I hope someone can give you a hand! I for one know nothing about using APIs. I'd just be happy with the edited sprites, but I wanted to know if the toddlers will work or not...

taintedwheat likes this.
                          • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

dude, didn't even see this, what?

Wow exciting! AHHHH. (still would love dawgies so I'm really excited to see them ! thanks you!!! omg!!!!)

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

anyone tried tossing their cat yet?

• Spudli

Spudli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the toddler sheet would be a really good idea since there's nothing really stopping the babies from growing up into toddlers, which would replace the poor kitties with random gremlin children :p

Jokerine and Alina_Mau like this.
                                • Jokerine

Hey, @Delsin7, even if we end up with a weirdly smushed version of these kitties as toddles, can we please, please have them until something better comes along? I beg you on my knees! <3

Also, I know there is both baby.xnb and baby_dark.xnb in the files, so should we download two of these retextures and rename one to baby_dark.xnb, or does it not matter? Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
                                  • kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

Couldn't you just duplicate the cat xnb and change the name and replace the toddler xnb? They're just sprite maps, I don't think the game engine stretches the sprites to stimulate growth (that would look odd).

Also I love this idea! Having kids that never grow up seems really weird... and if you're a gay couple where did the adoptees come from??

taintedwheat likes this.
                                    • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I did that by replacing the cat with a pug to have two dogs. I didn't realize this until a couple of days ago, haven't tried it with the babies yet though. o:

• Jokerine

I could probably, yeah, but as far as I can see the toddler sprite has different size so I'm not sure if it would work. I don't have any save with toddlers to test...

• kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

Hmm... I don't have toddlers either.

Is the toddler sprite too tall that you couldn't make the cat the same size without it looking like a tiger or something?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016