1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Wineskin wrapper for Mac

Discussion in 'Support' started by DandoCalrissian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Truz

Truz Seal Broken

I might have found a solution for the "no save data problem" I've tried this three times now and it's been working on my GOG version.
    For what I can tell this problem is being caused by the startup_preferences file found inside the Stardew Valley wrapper, so what I did was reinstall everything from scratch and then I made a copy of the startup_preferences file in another folder outside the wineskin wrapper.

And now any time I see that the tips are missing from the startup screen I know something happened and that my save states probably won't load. So proceed to go inside my Stardew Valley Wrapper by right clicking and selecting Show the Package Contents and the I go to the folder drive_c/users/Wineskin/ApplicationData/StardewValley and replace the startup_preferences with the one I had backed up.

I'll upload my startup_preferences, just unzip and replace.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

annia316 and LeonBlade like this.
    • LeonBlade

LeonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Next time it breaks, do you mind uploading the startup_preferences of the one that's broken so I can see what's happening?

• Truz

Truz Seal Broken

Sure thing LeonBlade, anything I can do help you guys! :iswydt:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
          LeonBlade likes this.
        • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I have another modding question. I'd like to use Storm and from the replies here it seems possible. I'm not sure which is my correct AppData folder to place the storm files in. I have a few different ones, like

Users > MyName > Desktop > Stardew Valley > Contents > Resources > drive_c > users > Wineskin > AppData // Application Data
          and
          Users > MyName > Desktop > Stardew Valley > Contents > Resources > drive_c > users > crossover > AppData // Application Data
          and
          Users > MyName > Desktop > Stardew Valley > Contents > Resources > drive_c > users > MyName > AppData // Application Data
          and
          Users > MyName > Desktop > Stardew Valley > Contents > Resources > drive_c > users > Public > AppData // Application Data

Which is the one that would be %AppData& on a Windows machine? Or is it somewhere else entirely? Apologies in advance for being silly.

• OhYeahitsJosh

OhYeahitsJosh Space Spelunker

I have a random question: I followed the steps exactly but I still have to load up steam in Wine to run the game instead of just loading the game up. Did I do something wrong and is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

• asdh

asdh Seal Broken

once the game is closed how do i reopen it. I've been just reinstalling steam every time to open it. is that what I'm suppose to do?

• Jinxiewinxie

Hi there! I think you might have to do the step 8 again: On the Wineskin window in the Windows EXE field, either press browse and find the Steam.exe yourself, or copy this into the "Windows EXE" text field: /Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe

Make sure you're doing the Steam.exe and not the steamsetup.exe (it sounds like you have it pointed to the set up since it wants to reinstall steam each time) I'm no expert though, so hopefully this helps or someone smarter than me knows and replies too.

Also, I kept trying to open my wineskinned game by clicking the wineskin icon in my app bar at the bottom of my mac which was kind of silly. I realized you open it up by clicking on the first download you do here (it has the Stardew Valley chicken icon and is actually called Stardew Valley, mine was saved to my downloads so I just dragged it onto my desktop and play it from there now (after doing that step 8 stuff of course)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
                  asdh and LeonBlade like this.
                • InsaneAesthetic

InsaneAesthetic Space Hobo

I downloaded the SDV wrapper, downloaded all of the extra Winetricks through Wineskin. I got the Windows version of Steam running and installed Stardew. However, every time I try to run it, it starts and then says "Installing: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.cmd (Step 1 of 1)" & it never starts up.
                  Also, I have definitely run these files in Wineskin:
                  dotnet40
                  msxml3
                  xna40

So I can't quite figure out what I'm missing. I had this issue before and after I downloaded those extra files.

• LeonBlade

LeonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

A few of these are aliases to the same folder, however, the right folder is MyName or Wineskin (which are both the same thing), however it's not AppData, but instead "Application Data" (yeah I know, kind of dumb). You can confirm if it's the right folder if your see your Saves folder.

I don't run this through steam, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

• gibby356

gibby356 Space Hobo

• asdh

asdh Seal Broken

!!!! thank you so much finally someone answered my question

• Jinxiewinxie

I just clicked the link in the error, downloaded the thing and then started over with the preparing wrapper and it seemed to work fine. I'm sure there is another way to do it but I was scared and confused, so I just started completely over after downloading what it told me to at that website.

• jacoblouis

jacoblouis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey! Im trying to download the stardew valley wine skin from the link provided on the first page (http://www.mediafire.com/download/cktru580l85r14n/Stardew+Valley+v1.3.zip) and it seems to download but it stops at 21.9 MB out of 203.7 MB and then it doesn't continue. Im not sure what to do. I am downloading it on my 2012 mac book pro which has OS Yosemite if that matters. any help would be great!

• Jinxiewinxie

I downloaded the file you linked and then re-uploaded it to Google Drive. Hopefully you can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5QADMXhIbTackFLNE82al9rV0E/view?usp=sharing

LeonBlade and jacoblouis like this.
                            • jacoblouis

jacoblouis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• gibby356

gibby356 Space Hobo

I am so close. I followed all the steps up to starting the game and then closing the game and steam, but when I try to do step 8 "On the Wineskin window in the Windows EXE field, either press browse and find the Steam.exe yourself, or copy this into the "Windows EXE" text field: /Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" and hit browse it cannot find Steam.exe. I can go to downloads and find the icon and start the game. Is that all I need to do or am I missing something. Thank you so much for your help.

• Jinxiewinxie

Do you know where your Steam.exe is located? You might try using the browse button there on wineskin, then find the downloaded Stardew Valley thing (it was the original download you did, so wherever you placed it (the icon looks like a yellow chicken), then if you right click the icon, there might be an option to "show contents" (the .app is actually a folder even if it doesn't look like it, but you can only access the files inside by doing that right click, open contents thing) -- then once the contents is open, go through those folders to find the steam.exe

I hope this helps! Please respond if I'm wrong or right so I know ^_^ I'm not on my mac right now so telling you from memory.

LeonBlade likes this.
                                • quirkybeauty

quirkybeauty Intergalactic Tourist

After I close steam and stardew valley I can't reopen the wrapper

• Jinxiewinxie

Don't be clicking on the red icon thing for the wrapper, instead click the yellow chicken icon called Stardew Valley.app (it may be in your downloads folder if you didn't move it, but its the original thing you downloaded)

LeonBlade likes this.
                                    • gibby356

gibby356 Space Hobo

Please let me know when I have reached my question limit. I have been a console only person, but was a die hard harvest moon player so trying to do this computer stuff is killing me lol. So I tried what you said and found the steam.exe but it was a blank white paper looking thing and when i clicked on it nothing would happen. So in frustration I trashed everything and started from the beginning by downloading the wineskin file. I was able to download every file but the MSXML3 as it took me to a Microsoft site to manually download it which my computer won't let me. I tried reading the forum to find the answer myself but I am at a loss on how to get it dowloaded. Whats strange is I wasn't able to download it the first time but was able to start the game. Should that have been possible? If you can spare another reply I would be so appreciative.