Modding Help Beginner's Guide to XNB Node and Graphics Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bitesizedboy

bitesizedboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

So a new problem came up lmao
    I loaded up my file and the blush that was added was gone :,D

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

!?! was there an update to the game maybe that could of replaced your file? I have my updates for Stardew Valley set to off just incase...
      Edit: well you do have a backup of your .xnb though right? just throw it in there again :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
      • bitesizedboy

Yeah, that must've been it. I replaced it with the one you packed for me and everything is fine now C:

Superior_s and cure like this.
        • bitesizedboy

That scared me lol

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah it seems like CA just releases a TON of hotfixes so idk.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

I'm not sure about today, but there was an update yesterday and he did a bunch of almost unnoticeable minor edits to graphics.

cure likes this.
              • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah I heard he replaced \Portraits\Haley.xnb with a near duplicate xD I'm almost curious enough to grab it and use a difference filter on it in Photoshop and see if he even changed anything at all.

Superior_s likes this.
                • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Lol, if you do let me know what you find out.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

This is why I never took up coding - I have zero tolerance for syntax.

So all I've been trying to do is take the walls_and_floors.xnb and change one floor (the monochrome starscape) so that the black background matches the effing wall of the same type. I managed to convert the the file to png with some other random program and have a PNG of the finished product (trivial 0 tolerance magic wand over the section in CS and paint fill) but nothing I can do will turn it back into the XNB,

When I try and run the node.cmd the window just insta closes.

I'm not the type to toss stuff at walls, I just put it down and listen to some chill music.

Attached Files:

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

You can't just double click on XNB Node, you need to run it via the command line, as in the OP

BoffoBoy likes this.
                      • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

to make things easier, it may make sense to take advantage of the "Extract <From Folder> <To Folder>" function - and teach people how to use that.

Typing on the command line seems to be a difficult thing for people to pick up

So, somebody can just create a .bat file with the premade commands, along with the 2 empty folders in a zip.

And tell people to "put all the stuff you want to unzip in FolderA, double click the bat file, everything will extract into FolderB

Then create a 2nd bat with the same line except using the "pack" switch, and tell people.

To PACK an .xwb file, edit the images in FolderB, double click BatchFile#2, and everything will end up compiled in FolderA

shit im at work but I can see if I can do it

cure and Superior_s like this.
                        • Drogean

yeah i'll make one now let me see if i can find some test files to work with

• Drogean

ok done, here is the toolkit i made

Easy to use

1. Unzip this anywhere , recommend the Stardew Valley Folder

2. Copy .XNB files you want to mod to the PACKED FOLDER

3. Double click the UNPACK FILES.bat file

Download Link
                            http://ge.tt/7u7OV3Z2 - updated to v2 - fixed a pack bug
                            Mirror link

@cure let me know if this works for you, you can pretty much update your OP and reduce it to two lines - click .Bat1, and click .bat2

@BoffoBoy try this

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
                              FiyahKitteh, BoffoBoy and Superior_s like this.
                            • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

I'd make a thread for people to download it if @cure doesn't add it post. Give more people access to doing this when they may not because they normally have to open the command line and such.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
                                Drogean likes this.
                              • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

sorry guys for some reason i never received alerts on these posts ;-;, Do you mind if I add XNB Mod Toolkit to the guide?

I totally realized that and that's why I tried to make the overall command line work as detailed as possible in my guide, but a .bat file never came to mind really. It's a great idea :).

Edit: one thing I'm unsure about is if it's cool with the creator of XNBNode to include his work like that without permission.. Do you know anything about that?
                                Edit Edit: We could always just add the .bat file as a separate download.
                                Edit Edit Edit: Also, Including the files in the zipped file inside another folder is one thing I had to be thorough about in the guide as one user ran into an issue with placing the entire XNBNode folder inside his Stardew Valley folder.. Going to mix around your files with my nit-pickyness and let you guys see what you think.

Edit.. etc -.-: Well I really don't see anything that says we CAN'T distribute his work anywhere so wth, I'm going for it. Guess I could check these forums for posts by him first.. But if nothing comes up, going for it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                                  Drogean and Superior_s like this.
                                • Drogean

@cure yes please go ahead and add the toolkit to the guide, distribute, edit, anything you like - Im sure the community would be happy to find out that we're trying to make modding as easy as possible, since this type of game seems to attract a more "casual" player who may not be familiar

Superior_s and cure like this.
                                  • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah, bitesizedboy especially brought up a lot of potential roadblocks to the casual user that I want to try to minimize. As is the purpose of this guide.
                                    Edit: Oh btw, I did ask him in his profile, but he hasn't been on since Saturday so it might be awhile before we get an answer. Draivin's Profile I'd just hate to do something like including someones work without their permission =/. Even if we're just adding two simple .bat files, a readme, and a .txt file here. Really no problem with just placing the two DL's next to each other in the guide anyways right?

Anyways, Here's the changes I made.. *File* Let me know what you think, and If it's cool, I'll upload it to mediafire and get it in there :nuruhappy:.
                                    Edit: oh i added a note about not using MS Paint in there
                                    "• DO NOT USE MICROSOFT PAINT TO EDIT .PNG FILES!!! IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY! There are some great suggestions of programs to use included in the guide."

Another edit...: Going to reorganize those graphics editors in the guide by ease of use as well.. I really don't find GIMP so simplistic and I threw my personal favorite and probably the easiest to use at the bottom which was probably a bad choice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                                      Drogean and Superior_s like this.
                                    • Drogean

looks perfect! :headbanging:

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

I'm pretty sure you could with the old Paint, not this new crap they've put out. I never use the new one; downloaded the old one and use that, but I'm mostly using Photoshop these days. The old Paint was great. For a long time I did all my pixel art in there.

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

awesome :)
                                          not sure.. All I know is the Win 7 one can't.

Edit: oh and btw, got caught up in hearthstone xD. i'll get to adding it in a few.