RELEASED Bigger Cave (Now with 2 floors and farmable!)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by KingJoey, Mar 12, 2016.

1. BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

I have never had this issue at all.

Only thing I can think of offhand is that did you extract the .xnb file from the compression before tossing it into the maps folder? If I try and dump the file directly from the archive it never works.

• joshmiller83

joshmiller83 Big Damn Hero

I would love to use this mod but am I reading it correctly that it could break an event about bats/mushrooms? Have never gotten that far into the game so I am wondering if I should install this after I see that, so as to see all the events properly?

• dk2020

dk2020 Space Penguin Leader

no issue with the mod. I didn't do anything with original cave and filled floor 1 and 2 and demetrius came as usually and now have mushroom in original cave. Already had stuff in floor 1 and 2 when demetrius came so as long as original part of cave is empty he shows up as usual

BoffoBoy and Superior_s like this.
        • BoffoBoy

If you have not yet had Demetrius come and say 'hey you wanna banana!' then so long as nothing is in the Cave it should work fine. That said, if you have not yet hit the 25k earned mark for Mr. I am a banana to arrive then you really do not need the space this monster grants; stalling as you said is perfectly valid with no real drawback.

I you are over 25k earned then it;s already too late, there is something odd about that event and I think it never appears if ANYTHING is in the cave, mod-ed or not.

• FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Mr. banana stole my campfire that was inside my cave when he put his weird mushroom plantation.

BoffoBoy likes this.
            • BoffoBoy

good thing no badgers came or ..... a snaaaaaake

• snowcandy

snowcandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had Demetrius turn my cave into a bat cave before installing the file for the second floor, but somehow the bats never seem to drop any fruits for me since then.
                I've reverted to the original FarmCave.xnb and fast forwarded a few days to check if it's an issue with my game, but they seem to give fruits just fine in that file.

I'm not sure if there's something that's broken with the modded version so if someone could help me out, it'll be much appreciated as I'd like to keep my storage cave as well as have the bats do their job by giving fruits. Thanks in advance!

• elysian_fate

elysian_fate Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can confirm this is also true for me. After a full month without any bat "droppings" I'm going to have to remove this mod. Which is a shame, because I loved the machines being hidden away. Hopefully a later version will adress this issue.

• ThunderLynx

ThunderLynx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am getting fruit/mushroom before the new floor was added.
                    just revert back to the older version, before new floor was added, and the bats shall return.
                    there is a mod that lets you switch between types of drops.
                    just look in the tools section of forums to find it.

• snowcandy

snowcandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just wanted to confirm, was this Version 1 or Version 2.0 (old) that you're referring to?
                      I've been using Version 2.0 (old) all these while as I was too lazy to swap over to the latest version.
                      However if it's Version 1, I'll move my chests out and give it a go to see if this changes things :3

• dk2020

it does look like the bats will have a problem with the cave layout. From looking at the code, it takes the width and length of the cave from the width/length of the map layer [0] .. Due to the caves being disconnected, the calculation based on the width and height of the map layers throws the bat fruit spawn coordinates off, so they never properly spawn where as the mushroom has a predefined box to spawn in. That explains why the 1 giant map worked fine for the fruit bats, thing were all connected and it could get proper cave size base on the size of the map.

Edit:
                        The fix for the farmcave and bats is remove all the extra unused map section so that the map is the size of what is being used. Then paint all the area between the floors with black. This makes it so that the bats can appear in all the black area and the map becomes connected. The black region is ignore as valid fruit spawn and is used by the bats. The bats will then drop fruits in the farmcave including the 2 extra floor. I've fruit in all three caves (20ish), took a very long while to get RNG to spawn any fruits but when it did, i got lots in the extra 2 floors. Its way overpowered now. If you don't want bats everywhere I guess you can paint the area between the floors with a solid wall/earth tile so it can't be access and be used by the bats and still maintain as connected. my modfied farmcave.xnb is available http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05918852516900448435 if anyone wants its

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
                          BoffoBoy likes this.
                        • dk2020

kingjoey, let me know if you want help testing any changes to your farmcave map to fix the fruit bats spawning.

• Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

I made a mod request for something more elaborate than this, maybe you can adapt some of my ideas to your mod?
                            http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-requests-larger-cave-craftable-cave-beach-planter-boxes.111493/

I'm requesting a mod to have an addition to the cave on your property, as well as craftable planter boxes for the purposes of growing mushrooms, coconut trees, and cactus plants. This is how I think it could work:

1.) 'Upgrade' your cave
                            Once you get a Megabomb, you can place it against the back wall of your cave. This reveals a crystal wall, that when broken with an Iridium Pick, reveals the entrance to a larger cave covered in dull blue crystal (figure roughly the same size as the green house). There is a small pond in the center of the room.

2.) Choose your environment
                            On the back wall of this new cave is a small hole with a large circle above it. When you inspect it, you learn 2 new recipes, Sunstone Seed Crystal and Nightstone Seed Crystal. The Sunstone Seed Crystal requires 200 Solar Essence, a Prismatic Shard, and a Diamond. The Nightstone Seed Crystal is the same, but substitute Void Essence for Solar Essence. Once crafted, place your Seed Crystal in the Crystallarium, and wait 7 days for the Pure Stone of your choice to be created. Place your Pure Sunstone in the Cave receptacle (the small hole), and the circle above it becomes bright like the sun, turning the blue crystal walls sky blue, revealing the ground to be pure desert sands ideal for coconut and cactus, and the pond is stocked with fish normally native to the Calico Desert. The Pure Nightstone turns the circle into a crescent moon, the walls dim to a dark purple, glowing crystals hidden behind the walls shining through like starlight. The cave floor is perfect for Cave Carrots, Mushrooms, and Fiddlehead Fern. The pond is stocked with various cave fish, even Lava Eels, which are somewhat easier to catch here. In both cases, Legendary fish can be found here if the original is thrown in, but only one at a time.

3.) Planters
                            In order to plant anything in the cave, you need a Planterbox (adapted from the Mushroom boxes in Vanilla). Placing Coconuts, Cactus, Mushrooms, Cave Carrots, or Ferns in them will produce every day or three (depends on luck). In the Case of Coconut, placing coconut in a planterbox will eventually result in a tree, which will destroy the planterbox in the process. Alternatively, you can plant Coconuts in their planters on the Beach. Cacti will not grow on the Beach.

• endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is the cute water trough a mod or an item that is craftable and just not available to me yet? Unless I missed it in the mod's screenshot. If so, ignore the silly question!

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

The water trough is part of the greenhouse tileset, I believe.

endermaryn likes this.
                                • BoffoBoy

Towninterior tileset, like almost everything else interior wise. Crammed into the lower right corner and really hard to spot. oh my how much I have learned last 24 hours.

tub.png

endermaryn and Superior_s like this.
                                  • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

My bad. Lol

BoffoBoy likes this.
                                    • BoffoBoy

Hey! Believing is free!

Superior_s likes this.
                                      • ThunderLynx

ThunderLynx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IM UINSTALLING this mod. I place items in cave. Spent hours getting it nice just to log back in and see things missing.
                                        only thing left is the crops and floor.
                                        does this conflict with mod that adds a basement?
                                        EDIT
                                        Bigger farm mod conflicts with this one. Your mod works fine but ALL versions of bigger caves can't be run with bigger farm because they both edit the farm file.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
                                        • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I would just like to point out that the Bigger Cave mod does not edit the farm file.