More/longer events

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pencilstab, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Dillweed

Dillweed Void-Bound Voyager

One of the things I've noticed about most (if not all) Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games is once you get married your spouse has no life. In a way its almost preferable to stay single and gaze from afar since once you marry them the only point they have is to make you lunches and watch your kid. Which is super 50s and NOT in the good way. I understand there's a lot going on in those games, and in Stardew Valley, but as everyone here is stressing...you picked that character because of their personality/what makes them...them. And if it just goes right out the window...well..shoot.

Maybe there can be options for each of the characters, I don't know if people really age in Stardew but maybe a few of the characters could later work for an already existing shop as an assistant, and depending on what you do in your game they can later take the place over as owner while the previous character does something else. Or they have their own stand, or they join a nudist colony. Okay, maybe not the last one, but the general idea is that maybe there can be a base option that is slightly altered for each character. That way its less they all need a special snowflake job and more they're doing something. And hey! If that gets hella complex I'd be down for that being DLC if it ends up adding to the plot/giving things more depth.

• Madidel

Madidel Void-Bound Voyager

That would be awesome. The transition from being tentative and infatuated lovers to a married domestic couple would be a little awkward (which is the reason why I suggested providing a cut scene event with the proposal and some other sort of event before the actual wedding; it would show that the player's relationship with the character has developed beyond that point) but I would love to see post-wedding events that reaffirm those established affections. I thrive off of feeling needed and appreciated, so little situations where you need to have your spouse's back would be amazing to see.

While we're talking about spouses doing things to help earn a profit, Penny could make a little (emphasis on little; I doubt teachers or tutors get paid well in small towns) extra money tutoring the kids, Sebastian can continue with his programming and start very hesitantly working with residents in town, Abigail could possibly be a video game designer as she has a lot of knowledge on the subject, Sam could make a few bucks every now and then with the music thing and Haley could try her hand at being a professional photographer for nature magazines and the like. Each spouse could have specific benefits (Penny's income would be pretty steady but be a small amount, while Leah's art would take more time to create but bring in more cash once it's finished) and it would give your farm a little extra boost.

• Madidel

That's a really good idea, actually. I mean, I'd prefer it just being a patch (unless there's a lot of extra content that makes it worth the price) but I'd like the characters to have some sort of existence after getting married. Of course, a specialized job, depending on what it is, might be easier to code in, as giving them their own stand might end up being a problem, but I see no problem in having the spouse work at JojaMart or Pierre's at a certain time, or maybe pitching in at their parents' establishment if they happen to have a career like Robin and Pierre do. It would give them an excuse to get out of the house, as well.

Dillweed likes this.
        • Dillweed

Yep! I totally agree! On a basic level like that I would hope that be a patch and not DLC, but if it got super heavy content wise I'd be fine with it just because there's so much being added/tweaked for nothing and I am all for pitching in for something I'd really want/would make my experience while playing the game super enjoyable!

• Madidel

Yeah, that's true. CA does a lot with this game; I wouldn't be against paying for the heavier stuff.

Dillweed likes this.
            • Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

Me too. Definitely not against paying for DLCs.

Dillweed likes this.
              • Nimblentfox

Nimblentfox Seal Broken

Wish to see they have more lively too. I'm a big fan of marriage event, but not for HM series as it is too short and nothing much memorable. SV follow it and even shorter than some heart event... At least it give a smile when I marriage the same gender :)

I wish dev give it more. Rune Factory got a nice marriage event but still lack of lively process after marriage. Hope SV can surpass this marriage curse.

• Dillweed

Oh wow I didn't even think of that! It be nice if you could like PLAN your wedding a little bit, like you could pick where it was and if you needed to rent out a space save up or do it for free but do a favor for the person ect ect

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, Maru could work on her inventions and whatnot. First invention could be something for the farm, and you'd help out with the research (be it via materials, or just "helping out" via scenes and stuff)...and from then on there'd be something like a seasonal payout from her "work" where she completes an invention and is getting royalties from it. It'd be the highest paying spousal job probably, but the least frequent payout. Just having them doing stuff they did before would be great.

Could also have a scene where you and her are stargazing and you discover a new comet or star or something...and you get to choose how to name it (be it after yourself, her, both of you, your children, your pet,e tc.)...and her reaction depends on how you name it. :3

Lots of great stuff you could do with this, that really wouldn't require that much extra actual CODING itself, but more just SCRIPTING the events. :D
                    I'd much rather it be a patch, cause I'm...rather loathe to get DLC in general, on principle. Especially after Mass Effect 3 had a DLC on Day 1 that unlocked the best character in the game and gave you extra missions involving him and stuff. I was just like: .........yeah, screw DLC!

If it comes with the game, fine...but otherwise...yeeeeeah, I'll probably pass. :(

EDIT: That said...I'd much rather them not work at Pierre's or JojaMart...but instead be doing "work from home" or something of that nature if they don't have their tutoring job like Penny or the nurse job like Maru. Have their "work" be working on sculptures/art for Leah, inventions for Maru, games for Abby, photography for Haley, programming for Sebastian, music for Sam, novel(s) for Elliott, etc.

Harvey and Penny are probably the only two that don't really need anything "extra" for them...since Penny is basically meant to be a housewife in the game i think...and Harvey, well...he's a freaking doctor. :p

Alex is...well...Alex, so...who cares! :p Joking aside, though...dunno what to say about him in that regard, heh.