Modding Help Beginner's Guide to XNB Node and Graphics Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bitesizedboy

bitesizedboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have it in a folder inside of the Stardew Valley folder.

Attached Files:

• yes.PNG
        yes.PNG
        File size:
        17.4 KB
        Views:
    • bitesizedboy

Should I just have the xnb_node file in the stardew valley folder?

Attached Files:

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Yes move both those up one directory.

cure likes this.
        • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Sorry I'm not responding guys I'm trying to clarify things in the guide as I see questions asked. Thank you for all your help Superior_s and Zhuria

Zhuria and Superior_s like this.
          • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

No problem I spent 15 minutes or so raging at my computer when I first started to try to unpack Xnb files.

cure likes this.
            • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Haha same here. tbh there's so much I have to delete in that guide I made now regarding Zhuria's earlier comment on the different file types contained in .xnbs that frankly I'm exhausted and unprepared to edit the rest atm. I've just only really dealt with Characters files and have never had any trouble myself. The little guide on the thread containing the link to xnb_node just said .json and that's as far as I ever got with it xD. Think I'm going to trash/hide this thread and take a break. Thank you so much for your help guys.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

I'm pretty sure the .yaml are just information like this is so and so file. You need them but as far as I know there is no purpose in editing them. The .tbin files that are with the maps can be edited with tIDE, but I haven't figured much out about doing that except getting the map to actually open. So at the moment those are mostly useless for the average user. The whole yaml thing is basically the same as the json don't really need to mess with it just make sure its with the PNG it belongs with on packing. Sorry if this is long. Or if things are inaccurate.

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah I really was just aiming this guide at the first time user. I really just don't want anyone to end up with corrupted files if they continue to use this information on different xnbs than ones that only contain .pngs and a data file (.json/.yaml)

While yes files like Map files do contain .tbin files whether you extract it as a .json or a .yaml you still get that .tbin file and a yaml/json containing exactly the same information just with a different extension xP. This is all beyond my knowledge if continuing to only extract individually as I said in the guide could be harmful on some files though.

• bitesizedboy

Okay, so I can see on my sprite that I now have the blush I want, however, my character is covered in white?

Attached Files:

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

I think you may of had an issue with transparency and replacing blank space with white pixels instead of deleting them entirely?

Superior_s likes this.
                      • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

You need make sure whatever you editing your image that you make everything beside the graphics transparent.

cure likes this.
                        • bitesizedboy

What do you mean by transparent?
                          I'll provide a picture in case it helps

Attached Files:

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

What are using to edit your file? If it's Microsoft Paint I don't think you can do transparent backgrounds, but it's been years since I've used it so I may be wrong.

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Well, if you were to select something and hit Delete when working with a .png, you'd end up with blank space. Not white space. As Superior_s said though. If you are working with MS Paint. I'm not sure it can accomplish that.
                              Edit: I posted some suggestions of Image Editing programs in the main post. Check there and find one you like.

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

lol my issue was figuring out why I couldn't change directories. Turns out you need a separate command if you're switching drives. Ugh I hate command line stuff lol

Superior_s likes this.
                                • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Not a fan either Xnb_node was the first time I have had to use command line on Windows and the only other time I've used command line was when I had Linux for a month so I'm completely lost beside what I've posted here when it comes to command line lol.

• Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Just a suggestion cure but may change the post name to show this for is editing graphics, and when you get to tidying up the main post explain that if you run into a .tbin that your not messing with graphics. Up to you though.

cure likes this.
                                    • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah I had a minecraft server for awhile and my god linux command line was soooooooo much easier. It was like an Ubuntu server or something. Just everything about it. Windows CLI is junk in comparison

• Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I have a very basic grasp of it and if I absolutely need to use it I just Google what to do. I can't be bothered to remember how to do everything, my brain is already too full of other crap lol

Superior_s and cure like this.
                                        • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Yeah that was actually on my todo list but I got caught up doing multiple other things xD. Thanks for the reminder. I was actually supposed to go smoke a cigarette about 2 hours ago as well >.>
                                          Edit: I think it's time for that smoke lol.

Superior_s likes this.