RELEASED Stardew.Farm: Screenshot sharing tool and site

Discussion in 'Mods' started by nictuku, Mar 19, 2016.

1. nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

Hi.

Our group of developers is working on a tool that uploads the game file and makes screenshots of the stardew farm whenever the game is saved. It's called Stardew.Farm (previously "stardew rocks").

Visitors of our site can also see other people's farms and watch how they evolved.

We are making fast progress! Most things are displaying correctly now and the web site looks beautiful.

If you'd like to give it a try, please follow the instructions here.

All screenshots it grabs are saved automatically here: http://stardew.farm

UPDATE: If you haven't visited the website in a while, take another look. It's super slick and was developed by gumbyscout.

Here's a recent screenshot using a save game from my IRC friend Kylindra:

[​IMG]

UPDATE: you can now browse *all* farms on the website now by scrolling on the page. It also shows information about the farm, such as the current in-game date and how much gold the farm produced. We'll add more information soon.

If you'd like to help, the best way is to install the client. We'll use the tester's save games to find and fill gaps in the tool.

We also have a discord server to discuss the project. It's linked from the site and the github page. Feel free to join us.

Let us know what you think - and feel free to share links of your farm with other farmers :).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    • nut1414

nut1414 Void-Bound Voyager

I tried it, i dunno what happen.

• nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

You have to save the game for anything to happen, i.e: sleep in game. Then a partial screenshot of your farm would appear here: http://stardew.rocks.

If nothing happens after the game saves, then look for the house icon in the system tray and click that. Let me know if any error appear in the logs it shows (via PM, or issue on github, or whatever works best for you).

Thank you for giving it a try!

• nut1414

doesn't show any error maybe my upload speed is too slow

• Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

It seems to be watching my save but doesn't seem to care much about me saving :p

• nut1414

definitely delaying my picture
              here is my pic

Attached Files:

nictuku likes this.
              • KingJoey

KingJoey Phantasmal Quasar

I'm looking forward to test this as I use a mod that makes the farm map bigger and I'm curious as to how the tool will handle it. I'll be posting once I have time to test it. ^^

• Pinkishu

Now it seems to have uploaded it :p

nictuku likes this.
                  • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

I don't think it's going to work well because the server side relies on the game XNB data for choosing the farm dimensions.

We can do something about it - like adding the farm dimensions to the saved game XML for mods.

• KingJoey

KingJoey Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds good, I'll get back on it once I finished some mods of mine and actually start playing again.

nictuku likes this.
                      • Pinkishu

Who is "we" by the way?

• bulbaswat

bulbaswat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I'll help test this out. I just started a couple days ago and haven't got very far, so this should be a good way for me to look back at my beginning and see how far I've come later. I don't know how long it'll be till then though. I think I've actually spent more time making and finding mods for the game than actually playing it.

nictuku and KingJoey like this.
                          • Pinkishu

nictuku likes this.
                          • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

I meant me and the KingJoey - I would need help from the mod users or, ideally, the mod developers to establish a way to make the tool work with mods (i.e: an alternative for it not to rely solely on the game native map tiles. It could be a bit hard, TBH.

KingJoey likes this.
                            • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

I'll work on the crooked grass :). I'll also try to add compression to the save game upload. Hopefully that will make it more reliable. Thanks everyone, stay tuned.

• FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

Can you make this simply save locally, as an automatic backup?

• nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

That would be cool, and it could even help concernedApe. A lot of the "event not triggered" bugs wouldn't be so troublesome if people could go back to any day of their game.

I'll think about it. That said, I really want the sharing aspects and developing that is already using a lot of my time. So I'm not sure I'd have time to make the "local backups" solution. :(

• FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

• nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

This is fixed now - I think. I've also generated everyone's screenshots with a more robust layering code.

BTW, I love this farm by a farmer named Jack:

[​IMG]

Well done farmer Jack!

Now I really need to work on the missing tiles (starting with crops!) to make justice to this lovely, lovely farm.

gumbyscout likes this.
                                    • nictuku

nictuku Space Spelunker

No, it's not fixed yet. The grass is still in the wrong place. Working on it!