RELEASED Chest Label System

Allow you to name your chests!

1. OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

So, I was annoyed that I had lots of chests and could not remember anymore where I put my stuff...

Since I found no mod that did this, I made it myself :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a note: I decided to save the names by renaming the Chest items, I checked the game to see if it would break anything, and seemly it doesn't, but if something ends breaking, just rename the chest back to "Chest" (including with the capital C) or remove the chest and put it back (the game renames it back to "Chest" on its own).

Mod source: https://gitlab.com/speeder1/ChestNameWithHoverLabel

Update from 0.8 to 1.0
    • fixed all zoom rendering bugs
    • improved the "cursor" of the name box
    • fixed the bug of the mod blocking other name boxes from working
    • added SMAPI 0.38 support (thus SMAPI 0.38 is mandatory for the 1.0 version)
    • Props to jlee100 that made a stopgap version until I could make this update!
    Update from 1.0 to 1.1

• added a proper "readme" file to the repository
    • updated to SMAPI 0.39
    • fixed the bug where the labels rendered over active menus
    Update from 1.1 to 1.5

• Now the readme is in html... (sorry for all people trying to decipher markdown!)
    • updated to SMAPI 0.39.6
    • fixed the bug of the mod blocking other name boxes from working (again!)
    Update from 1.5 to 1.6

• Mariano updated to work with SV 1.1
    • I fixed Mariano update to work on smaller screens
    Also now I decided to not host the files here on the forum, it is too confusing...

download link

I created a Patreon profile, if it works (I never used Patreon before), I hope I will be able to move into "full-time" modding, instead of doing my current contract work to pay my bills.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Ragnar6645

Ragnar6645 Seal Broken

Works great, awesome mod!

EDITED, 3/15/2016 at 10:15 PM.
      So, I tested everything I could think of, naming chests after all villagers, naming chests after items in them, naming multiple chests the same thing, the tests I ran were, entering all buildings, mines, talking to all NPCs, traveling to the desert and back, participated in a festival, sleeping/saving and did testing of all of the above with chests inside, outside and both. There were no problems of any kind that I could find so I hope that helps.

Thanks for the great mod!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
      • Rath

Rath Orbital Explorer

Thank for the awesome mod!

• Randonx

Randonx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Kazekitsune23 likes this.
        • raenevigil

raenevigil Phantasmal Quasar

I.. I think I love you. JK but seriously, thank you for this. :D

• irrimn

irrimn Pangalactic Porcupine

I have this problem too. Seems like the cursor that the mod adds to interact with the naming textbox doesn't scale properly with the zoom levels.

Probably need to set the cursor position to change to compensate for the zoom level manually.

• OrSpeeder

Oh whooops...

Forgot that part! I will fix ASAP, I already know how to fix (the enemy health bars mod I made obey zoom correctly).

CA zoom coding is kinda insane :/ make things like that hard.

• OrSpeeder

The mouse I could fix kinda fast in the few minutes near my personal computer, but the name label in the wrong place won't be easy... :/ Its rendering code is not easily accessible, and is buggy on CA's side of things (in fact the whole interface is code is "Wrong", he did some crazy hack to workaround it, I am seeing if I can replicate the hack without breaking the game)

• Goregrind

Goregrind Space Hobo

Hows it going been looking for a mod like this but how do I install it and get it to work sorry bit of a noob

• xylonez

xylonez Big Damn Hero

There's a bug with this mod. You become unable to rename any of your animals. Great work nonetheless.

• OrSpeeder

What do you mean? I only modded chests, what animals?

• xylonez

xylonez Big Damn Hero

You know when you right click your animal, you can click on the box and rename your animals? I can't do it with your mod on.

No idea how the 2 is related though, but removing your mod's dll seems to fix the problem.

• OrSpeeder

That is... particularly curious, I wonder why.

I don't have animals yet, so I couldn't test that, when I get animals I will try to see what is going on, very weird!

• Randonx

Speeder, is the fix up for the double cursor thing?

• OrSpeeder

I didn't uploaded it because it feels pointless since I can't fix yet the rest of the interface (ie: when the "double cursor" happens, the button, text bool and dialog boxes also render in the wrong place).

I did some code that theoretically is right, but it isn't working, and I am not sure why, I asked in the XNA official forums (it is a XNA issue) but noone replied yet.

Basically, CA made the "zoom" system by rendering the game into a render-target, and scaling it by the "zoom" amount and pasting that render-target back on the screen.
                              To render extra-stuff correctly in "zoom" mode, I would need to do the same, render the new content to a render-target, and render this INTO the existing rendering, the problem is the last part, for some reason all my transparent pixels render as "default XNA blue" instead, I have no idea why.

On the health bar mod, what I did was manually render the health bars "corrected" by zoom, by multiplying the zoom value by their position and size, but the UI rendering of CA don't allow that, it renders to fixed position and scale (and probably why he made the render-target hack in first place... he shouldn't have done that, it is terribly inefficient).

• Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

Is it possible to release the double cursor part while waiting for the fix on where the button, text box, etc? If not, that's fine, but for me at least, the double cursor is far more jarring than the movement of the rest of the interface. Either way, thanks so much for the mod release in general. I love it.

• Randonx

Agreed Nichili. I mind the double cursor much more than the improperly placed text box. I'll wait for Speeder to decide whether he'll upload the fixes in batches or not.

• OrSpeeder

I can't fire up Stardew Valley now to test, so I will upload the file that I THINK it is the right one, I am not sure, because of this I won't send it to the main thread.

Attached Files:

• pepper77

pepper77 Void-Bound Voyager

The cursor is fixed, but it appears something got skewed when it comes to renaming the chests while zoomed out. It seems like the input is just out of position because if I click up and to the left a bit it will let me rename the chest, the same with the "Ok" button.

Screenshot below shows where I need to hover just to click 'Ok'.
                                      chest.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
                                      • Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Im using this, and it fixed the arrows issue.
                                        Also im not seeing the bug you mentioned before (with the input being off) Everything seems to be in perfect order.
                                        Just for an fyi, im on windows 7

Nevermind. I see the issue, its just not nearly as noticeable. Good work in either case, and thanks for the early release :D