More/longer events

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pencilstab, Mar 17, 2016.

1. pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

Might seem a bit weird, but I'd really love to see the events for the bachelors/bachelorettes expanded on! Perhaps I'm jaded from Harvest Moon, but they just seem so short (and not very.. romantic, maybe? for the 6+ heart events), it'd be amazing to see if, in future patches, ConcernedApe added in some events that happen with your spouse, or some events that happen after you give your Love Interest the bouquet!

I saw on his Twitter that he was developing post-marriage dialogue, so perhaps that will solve the sort of lacking romances~ And I'm sure that it's possible to mod in some additional lines depending on the heart amount.

Just some thoughts, though :)

• Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

• Madidel

Madidel Void-Bound Voyager

Hopefully, the post-marriage dialogue will bring back the lovable quirks that kind of get sucked out of the characters after you marry them, but I hope ConcernedApe fleshes out the bouquet-to-wedding timeline, as well. I mean, a whirlwind romance is far from what's expected from a game of this genre, but there's just so much depth given to the world that these cut-and-dry events seem out of place and anticlimactic. I wouldn't ask for too much since going overboard might ruin the magic of the game, but perhaps there could have been a cute little cut scene that was triggered when you gave them flowers, or at least some unique dialogue for each bachelorette or bachelor that matches their personalities a little better. The fact that there's nothing more than a generic dialogue when you ask them to marry you, however, is really disappointing. I expected a full event to be triggered, as well as perhaps one or two in the days before the wedding takes place. Maybe the future bride or groom could've snuck into the farm on the night before the wedding and woken the player up to calm their nerves, share in their excitement and reminisce about how they got to be where they were now; how strange they think it is that not too long ago, their lives were completely different. At least then, even if each wedding played out in similar ways (because they are weddings, after all, and there are only so many ways that you can plan one) it would feel more special; like they're as excited about and invested in this as you are.

Of course, it would also be great for the family to throw a little party or something to welcome you into the family (I, for one, would love for my character to be tackle-hugged by Robin when I'm marrying one of her children; in addition to this, it could also offer an opportunity to resolve tension within the family and/or ease whatever guilt some characters (Alex and Penny, specifically) may have over leaving) and anniversaries, lover's quarrels, and entertaining in-law relationships would also be absolutely wonderful future additions, but most of all I just want the endings of the more romantic storylines to be as spectacular and adorable as the rest of the game is. I know that the creator's probably heard this a thousand times over, but I love all of the characters so much and I want marriage to be an opportunity to flesh them out even more, instead of reduce them to cardboard cutouts of the perfect spouse with little to no individuality.

Also, it'd be nice if the spouses did at least a little of what they normally did in addition to their new wife/husband duties. It breaks my heart to see them stop doing what they love because I chose to marry them, and it pains me to see so many opportunities for cute new dialogue go to waste (if Sebastian still had any interest in a computer, for example, it could open up possibilities for him to casually mention that the player's picture is his icon/profile picture and he's getting a lot of compliments; in addition, Haley's dialogue could sometimes include her asking for you to pose by the plants for a picture, and then settling for taking a picture of you as is when the character doesn't want to move because you look cuter in your natural state anyway.) Of course, this'll probably be remedied in the post-marriage dialogue update, so thank goodness for that, but I just love the ideas too much to ignore them. If anything, I'd want the characters to get even more into their hobbies after marrying; it would show that they're content and happy and don't have to rely on your constant attention in order to be entertained.

SimplyDoge, Trifoilum and Delsin7 like this.
      • Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Abigail doesn't even play video games anymore! Every day she just stares at her pendant, weeps silently, and wishes things were different. Her SNES is just lying there with Chrono Trigger in the slot waiting to bring joy...but it goes untouched...

• pencilstab

I've not actually gotten married on the game yet, but that just sounds
          super depressing, wow...
          I have heard that the spouses tend to lose personality once you marry them, which is a dang shame to me, given that the villagers are sort of static already, which is a shame. Of course, I'm sure there will be additional mods that will add onto the dialogue eventually, but Stardew Valley's villagers just don't really stick out to me (besides perhaps Linus)

• Delsin7

Delsin7 Space Spelunker

Hehe, its not that bad in actuality, but it will be nice to see her get out more/try and beat that Gunsmoke-esque game when CA upgrades the marriage life.

• Madidel

I always thought the characters were cute and entertaining, though, yeah, considering that Stardew Valley isn't really the type of game to put emphasis on the characters and their lives, I can understand how they don't leave much of a lasting impression for some. For me, it was a breath of fresh air to see characters that weren't over the top to the point of taking focus away from the rest of the game, but were still individual people with unique interests and personalities that you can fall in love with. It is a farm game, after all; there isn't really much for characters who don't own farms to do besides just standing around and pursuing their various hobbies (which I do on a daily basis, so I can't really complain.) I don't know, maybe I just enjoy the more domestic aspects of the game and that's why I'm so disappointed that the courting and marriage parts of the game don't feel really... real; like it's actually a relationship and not just a separate experience that doesn't add anything to the game whatsoever beside the occasional farm help (which they don't even do unless they're in a good mood.) Again, yeah, their characters were a bit static on occasion, but you'd at least expect a little emotion and, I don't know, happiness in a marriage from a game that handles pretty much everything else so well.

Trifoilum likes this.
              • pencilstab

They are cute, I definitely enjoyed Elliott's and Haley's events, but yeah, I think I also prefer the domestic/romantic aspects that these kinds of games offer! Harvest Moon's heart scenes were always so cute to me, so I suppose I came into this game expecting very similar things. While Stardew Valley is a major step up in terms of UI/customization/features, it does lack a bit in the social part :rofl:

But I look foward to CA's patches! Perhaps it will help flesh out the villagers more~

• Madidel

Lucky for me, I actually haven't ever played any of the Harvest Moon games (which I regret SO MUCH, but I didn't know that I enjoyed this kind of game so much until now) so I went in with some lower expectations than most people and the social part wasn't a huge issue for me, or at least, the social parts involving non-eligible characters.

I am really looking forward to the patches, though! Of course, coding is a big challenge, even for big-time companies, so it might take a while and odds are it probably won't involve absolutely anything that I mentioned in my first reply, cute cut scenes included :cry: but I'd be willing to wait for years just to see what CA will include. Even if the characters just go back to doing and saying the stuff that they did when single, with some slight alterations to acknowledge that they're married to the player and very content, I'd be happy.

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I miss my overconfident, arrogant jerk Alex. He seems like an entirely different person after I married him. All the married people have the same lines, and the only resemblance of Alex is when he's in his corner talking about working out to look good for me. I like that vain guy back more than the sweet generic husband. I hope there are A LOT of dialogues to take in account for people who want to play long term, but that's just my wishful thinking though. :p

• Madidel

Yeah, I've married both Sebastian and Penny in different games and they're just so different that I can't stand it. Penny goes back to town on occasion to teach the kids, but Sebastian just stands there by the computer all day; not even playing it, just looking at it. It's so sad. The patch will most definitely fix the dialogue (I don't know if they'll add enough to keep you entertained for years of in-game time, but it will most definitely give you enough to make them talk like themselves again) but I hope it fixes their actions, too.

• Last_Aeon

Last_Aeon Void-Bound Voyager

• Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

If I'm not mistaken, Harvest Moon (at least the ones I played) has a more.....generic / less detailed characters than Stardew Valley?

I can say with some certainty that Harvest Moon : Back To Nature is, at least.

In terms of character and their issues (there's definitely no Penny or Alex or Harvey ._.)

• pencilstab

The later Harvest Moon games are much better, More Friends of Mineral Town being, imo, one of the best games in the series. Island of Happiness and the first DS versions were also pretty good... The characters had very distinctive personalities and I quite enjoyed them; they had a good amount of depth behind them that was displaying in their cutscenes and what not

• Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

Oh, interesting! I did not get to play the ones in DS so :(

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe it's just me but Back to Nature is the best Harvest Moon for me since it's the first game I play. The Goddess Festival was the best festival and the most memorable for me. I think I choose my wife based on how they look cute in that dress. It was also pretty nice to be able to participate in the dance yourself in Harvest Moon for girls, it would have been my favorite harvest Moon game if the game didn't end after getting married. Friends of Mineral Town and More Friends of Mineral Town are my second favorites. Subsequent games make playing the game a chore, really. I hate having to rub animals for affection, especially everyday, then food getting bad and degrade and things like that make the subsequent Harvest Moon more like tasks instead of fun.

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

I always considered the later Harvest Moons to be soulless. The characters in Tale of Two Towns were effectively card-board cutouts with the only person showing interest in the main character being the witch in the woods. The other games are exceedingly tedious. Friends of Mineral Town is not a later Harvest Moon game (MFoMT is the same but with a female lead, IIRC), but it is good. My favorite is HM:64 with HM:BTN is a good contender.

This game would be excellent with relationships expanded. Even without any benefits, I end most of my days home before 10PM so that the marriage is seemingly less lifeless.

• Last_Aeon

Last_Aeon Void-Bound Voyager

To be honest I've never played Harvest moon before, so I can't compare anything. (That's why I'm stuck in the second year trying to seriously farm for once, damn where's my money) But the characters in Stardew valley is pretty well built. However, the main thing that made us in love with them is the events, which created the characters' main personality we know and love.

And to be honest, if you marry someone, you will notice you can only max out 2 more hearts. which Signifies that the developer may try to make more events, but doesn't want us to skip it due to having to many hearts, so he limited it at 2. And may add it up to ten later.

• Madidel

That's a good point, which means that there may be more plot lines and events in the future to keep the player involved. However, I hope the original plot for each character (you know, meeting, falling in love, getting married, all that) would be wrapped up before that in a slightly more satisfying way. It would feel strange if the post-marriage events were still about the characters falling in love and such.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Maybe their love "deepening", though.

*event A happens* "I'm so glad that you were here with me for this. I'm so happy that I married you." sort of thing. You're there for them when they REALLY need you for something, and they re-confirm that they'll never regret marrying you, etc.

There's a lot of things they can do w/o it being about them "falling in love", though. Especially when we have details on how their lives play out.

For example, in Maru's case you could help her with experiments (by providing materials AND going through the events)...and maybe one of the "end" rewards for this would be a farming bot that you can have do one task for you (or take care of a certain area's stuff or something like that).

Leah could make more art and sell it, bringing in extra money for the family.

Abigail could...I dunno...become a pro gamer? :rofl: She needs more scenes of her playing the flute either FOR the player, or WITH the player playing his harp, though! =x

Etc.

uberlobster likes this.