Modding Help How do I convert to xnb file

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Candel0ro, Mar 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Candel0ro

Candel0ro Poptop Tamer

PROBLEM SOLVED: Had to name the png 'Alex..png' for some reason it needed two periods.

Hey guys, I would love to start modding and all, but I havent the slightest clue to how to convert a png into a xnb. I've scrolled through dozens of forums and pages saying that you have to use this app or these app and nothing is working for me- If anyone could give me a clear tldr list of things I have to do that would be awesome!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    • GreaterPorpoise

GreaterPorpoise Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if you've seen it already but I found this guide pretty thorough.

Lunumi likes this.
      • Candel0ro

Candel0ro Poptop Tamer

Hi thanks for the link! I've followed all the instructions and I seem to keep getting this show up on my cmd.exe

[​IMG]

Am I doing something wrong?

• GreaterPorpoise

Whoa. I've never had that happen before, not sure how much help I can be. Is the program (xnb_node.cmd and its 'app' folder) in the same folder as your Stardew Valley.exe?

Only other thing I can think of is the command format after you've done the "cd: [path to Stardew Valley folder containing the app]":
          1. [xnb_node.cmd] [instruction e.g extract or pack] [input folder\file] [output folder\file] so for an example:

3. unpacking: 'extract' is the instruction, 'Content\Characters\' is what I want to extract, 'ContentUnpacked\Characters' is where I want to put what I extract:
          Afterwards, ContentUnpacked\Characters will have the editable .png and .yaml/.json versions of the .xnb files that were in Content\Characters.

4. packing Alex.xnb: 'pack' is the instruction, 'UnpackedMods' is where I put my modded Alex.png and Alex.yaml, 'PackedMods' is where I want the final .xnb.
          EDIT: Guh, I messed up on the command. Way to be helpful, me. Also, I discovered I'm using the outdated version of the app. :p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
          • Candel0ro

Candel0ro Poptop Tamer

So I've been fiddling with it but I get this error [​IMG]

• GreaterPorpoise

Well, the 'no such file' thing seems to be because of the repeated fullstop, 'Alex..png'. But also, you have to pack the .yaml, not the .png, to get a .xnb. The .yaml will automatically group up with the png if they have the same name. :)

• Candel0ro

Candel0ro Poptop Tamer

I'm using the code xnb_node.cmd pack alex.yaml alex.xnb
                I dont know why its saying png??

• GreaterPorpoise

Hmm, maybe it's because your file extensions are hidden so it fills it in? You could try turning that setting off but beyond that, it's puzzling. Now that I understand the problem better, I'm really sorry that I can't be more helpful. :oops:

• Candel0ro

Candel0ro Poptop Tamer

Thanks for all your help regardless!

• Morichinatsu

Morichinatsu Space Spelunker

I followed [ this ] youtube guide and it works flawlessly for me. Hope it helps!

• Ceylon

Ceylon Void-Bound Voyager

I've tried inputting the parameter you've mentioned and I received an error. Try using one of these and see if they work?
                        • xnb_node.cmd pack UnpackedMods PackedMods
                        • xnb_node.cmd pack UnpackedMods\Alex.yaml PackedMods\Alex.xnb
                        I've also used the guide GreaterPorpoise linked and it worked fine for me.

• blargsnarf

blargsnarf Pangalactic Porcupine

You have two folders, which is right. Packed and unpacked.
                          Put Alex.xnb in Packed.
                          Then cmd xnb_node extract packed unpacked (this'll unpack the "packed" folder into the "unpacked" folder
                          Then do your edits
                          Then cmd xnb_node pack unpacked packed (this one will pack the unpacked folder back into the packed folder)
                          Now the alex.xnb in the packed folder will contain your edited png.

That's it!

• zomgzomg

zomgzomg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyone who finds this via Google, like me...
                            Follow the imgur guide linked in the second post and make sure all your cmd prompts are correct.
                            Like, really correct. No really, retype all of it, there's a dumb mistake somewhere you aren't seeing.

I had it working fine until the very last step and it started just running infinitely with no errors or activity being shown.
                            Went back and rechecked the folders/files, cursed a bit, ripped out some hair, finally just retyped it a 3rd time and it worked. e__e
                            No idea what the problem was, but it ran correctly in like 1/4 second. Supa fast and flawless.

cmd prompts are dumb and outdated (just make a "full" program, sheesh) but they're also primitive as hell.
                            If they work at all for most people, it's 1000% user error. Quadruple check and try it again.

• yuukiw

yuukiw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you sure you use the newest version of the unpacker? I know that an older version required that you remove the extension. In the regards change your folder se tri so that it show known extension.

• leomonpunk0

leomonpunk0 Space Hobo

I tried to follow the instructions for obtaining the XNB Node, yet I am unable to extract the files from the download. It's a .rar file, so I tried to use a specific software that would extract the files, but it keeps giving me an error. I've successfully used that software to extract .rar files before, so I don't believe there's a problem with the extracting software. I'm not sure where the problem is nor how to fix it.