RELEASED [No API required] Bigger Farm (Carpenter compatible)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by KingJoey, Mar 16, 2016.

1. KingJoey

KingJoey Phantasmal Quasar

Hello everybody!

I noticed some requests for more farming space so I set out to double the size of your farm!

The entrance is on the far left side of your farm, and takes you to a plot roughly the same size as your original farm. I have not thoroughly tested it yet, but I could make the carpenter build stuff there and I could plant seeds etc. It's a big empty plot for now, I think I did add stuff that grows in between seasons but I have yet to hit that point so some feedback would be awesome.

[​IMG]

Because there are a lot of events going on on your farm, like where your spouse goes and where the mailbox is etc. I had to locate the second plot to the right of the original farm in farm.xnb. So while your farm feels like it's on the left side, if you want to build something from the carpenter you have to scroll your map to the right.

Because of this, your screen will also scroll further to the right if you walk on the original farm like so:

[​IMG]

Which I don't really consider an issue though. I just extanded the path and added in some extra trees to make it look normal.

Again, this is not thoroughly tested, so proceed with caution. As far as I noticed it acts exactly how it should.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dy1h304p06lchuc/Farm(2).rar

Thew 'new' version (above) adds some moss to the walls and fixes a fence as a user noticed I placed a wrong tile somewhere ^^

Place Farm.xnb in your Stardew Valley/Content/Maps folder. Make a backup of your original Farm.xnb before you do so you can always revert.

Edit: Make sure the entrance is accesible, for your own convenience. Although I made the mod myself I made the entrance right behind my silo's so I had to relocate them to acces the second plot ^^

Also check out my bigger cave for your farm: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/bigger-cave-new-version.109636/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Screw Pelican Town, have tourists just visit your farm

-grape vineyards the eye can see
      -industrial scale winery and brewery
      - petting zoo of friendly farm animals
      ... just need to build a bed and breakfast and you're in wine country in Sonoma County, California

• FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

WHAT A VIEW

this is exactly what I wanted!!! I just hope that if a patch comes around we don't lose everything on the second map. :x

StardewLaunchPlayer and KingJoey like this.
        • ThunderLynx

ThunderLynx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

great idea and will use it seeing how the "planting for all seasons" mod lets me plant anything anytime of year. I'll let you know if anything bad happens but probably wont be any issues.

KingJoey likes this.
          • FinalMantasyX

If anyone is willing to test, can you replace the farm.xnb, put stuff on the new farm, and see what happens when you play with the original farm.xnb? And what happens when you put this one back in? Does the stuff remain?

• drakrochma

drakrochma Void-Bound Voyager

Is it possilbe to build houses in the new area?

• KingJoey

Well with my cave mod wich is a similar mod, the items stayed in their locations but where unreachable if I converted back to the original so I'm thinking something similar will happen if you go back and forth between the modded and the original farm.xnb. I'll do some testing with my save backups on that tomorrow.

• KingJoey

You can let the carpenter build stuff there, as described in the post.

farmvillesux likes this.
                  • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

Hi KingJoey, great job on this mod so far.

I haven't yet actually used any mods, although I did jump straight into modding myself. I just spent the last 2-3 hours making exactly what you've made here, only to find out you've already beat me to it. Oh well.

My approach was different though, I added a path on the left side of the map and tried to load an entirely new map that I had made from scratch. I added appropriate warp points only to find that when I attempted to leave my farm, it would play the map transition animation (fade to black) and then place me exactly back at my exit point from my farm. I'm still unfamiliar with the game engine, does it load a pre-configured list of .xnb files when the game is launched? Is it not yet possible to add entirely new maps without an API of some sort?

Know that I ask this without doing even the bare minimum of research on this topic. I literally jumped straight into what I needed to in order to add a new map and then figured out the rest through experimentation with the native game files.

• taintedwheat

Now you guys gotta make the house bigger ~ <3

• KingJoey

I could probably add some extra rooms to it.

Vixxi and taintedwheat like this.
                        • Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

May I make a suggestion? The fence to the east of your house is missing the top half and looks weird. Replicate what was done next to the dog/cat bowl, as seen in the screenshots below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
                          • taintedwheat

Dude, @KingJoey that would be so siiiick.

• viovasvi

viovasvi Subatomic Cosmonaut

my farm has exploded in a good way

~ next possible expansion or possibility would be add an elevator in the skull cavern? :3

Vixxi likes this.
                              • FinalMantasyX

WTF, there's just a straight-up map editor for this game already??? I thought people were meticulously laying this stuff out with pure code.

Zhuria likes this.
                                • kodfod

kodfod Void-Bound Voyager

it's not made FOR Stardew Valley but it works. ^_^

farmvillesux likes this.
                                  • ssgb99

ssgb99 Intergalactic Tourist

can i replace both? (bigger farm and big cave) now i replace big cave in my game

• drakrochma

drakrochma Void-Bound Voyager

Do you have a link to download the editor?

• nonameforme

nonameforme Tentacle Wrangler

This is awesome!

I will post my idea real quick before trying this mod. (I know some will be currently impossible to mod, but I hope Storm will enable them)

-What about the 2nd zone = need to unlock via quest/event? (or simply need iron axe, let a giant log block the way)
                                        -A old / abandon wine keg / facility cave in that area.
                                        -Populate the area with some initial monster. (harder to renovate)

• Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Well its what he used to make maps, so it better work