WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Hex4kit

Hex4kit Void-Bound Voyager

Hey !! looking forward to see more diversity <3 I also hope that some characters will still have dyed hair!

notsnufffie likes this.
    • rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

Any more talk of racism will earn people points. This isn't the place for it. Any more flaming will earn you more points -- consider this your last warning.
      Everyone else, thanks for keeping it civil :)

gideonsgrave, izzy82, Seajun_ and 7 others like this.
      • notsnufffie

notsnufffie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Apollyna | Thanks! I plan on doing as many as I can but they take me a ridiculously long time, hopefully I don't burn out.

@Hex4kit | Yes! Dyed hair is a must! I need to go back and edit Emily at some point to add some blue and red back in, I feel like I took to much of her character away. Maru is keeping her fun colored hair (if I can figure out how to do it right, which I will cause I'm a try hard).

@rhomboid | Moderating isn't easy. Thank you! <3

Hex4kit likes this.
        • Hex4kit

OMG I love love love your Robin!! Plus it makes so much sense for Sebastian and his hair oh yes I love this

• Beret

Beret Subatomic Cosmonaut

Robin looks awesome :) thank you so much!

• einari

einari Space Spelunker

I don't know what's going on about racism topic (I don't read at all...)
              But I want to tell I like your work, please keep it up X3 !!!

• Qwynn

Qwynn Industrial Terraformer

Ah, Robin looks great!

• catbossa

catbossa Space Hobo

I love the Robin and Emily one and immediately downloaded! (I would also use your Haley one but I'm using Vlad's portraits and I love their art style.)

I'm not surprised people don't understand why whitewashing and making a game diverse is not the same thing. But I'm not gonna explain why; there's a thing called Google. (I do love it when they blame the boogeyman that is SJWs LOL)
                  Anyways, I'm Asian so you may understand that the number of Asian-Americans that I see in pop culture in America is very few or very stereotyped. I love the Robin one because I can clearly see her in real life! (And I like that she looks South East Asian? I'm Lao myself so she looks like one of my relatives!)

Keep up the wonderful work! I'll be looking forward to more of your releases and will definitely add them to my game.

• notsnufffie

@Hex4kit | Thanks! u wu!
                    @Beret | Thanks. I was hoping you'd like her! I'm really happy with how she came out!
                    @einari | EE! Thank you Einari!
                    @Qwynn | Thanks!

@catbossa | Oh! Thank you! I'm not sure I've seen Vlad's portraits, I looked but couldn't find them. I'd love to see it. It's so fun seeing them drawn in everyone's different art styles!

It took me a while to understand and I'm still learning, hopefully they'll come around someday. Takes time and sometimes seeing something from the right perspective to understand. Until then I'm just going to be that horrible SJW here to ruin their day.

Not going to lie. Teared up just a bit. I'm so glad you like Robin and the fact you can see her as one of your relatives is the exact reason I'm doing this! I'm white so I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you, or anyone else, as a woman though I can understand to a degree how important representation is. (I was thinking Southeast Asian when I made her, I'm glad it came across. Its so hard working with tiny pixels.)

Thank you so much for your kind comment!

Fawnd and Abokado like this.
                    • notsnufffie

I thought I was almost done with Maru but forgot about her hospital portraits... I pulled her hair back and ITS SO CUTEEEE!! Now her normal hair looks a mess. :T (I knew it wasn't great but its the fourth time I've done her hair. Guess I'll redo it again.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Alkanthe, Nunah, Zevrix and 9 others like this.
                      • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

oh hey, me likey! :D

sunbean likes this.
                        • endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh the Maru's hair on the right is too perfect! I love the style and coloration. Very unique. That is definitely a keeper there. I like it better than the left side. If you were to offer the the right sided style for both, I would not complain ;)

• notsnufffie

I threw her file together with a slightly edited version of the longer hair. I think it looks better though I still need to go back and edit her eyes a bit and I forgot to make her nose bigger so she'd look more like her mom and dad. When I do go back to fix that I might put together a version with the short hair. But right now I'm beat. I think I need a day or two off.

Also early Maru look. I liked it but I wanted to keep with her shorter hair.

[​IMG]

(Nevermind. Taking the Maru download down. I thought I'd finished Maru. But I messed up some layers.)

• endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ohhhh!!!! Are those some incredibly smexy dreadlocks I see on her? Very fetching! Tough decision but I think I still like the shorter hair better. But the longer hair is going to be very popular so you might want to keep both ;) And yes, the facial proportions for all the different racial groups is going to be very important to nail down :)

Yes, sleep and recharge. Take the time you need. This is a very daunting and immense project you took on. But I am happy you choose to. I love the mod's concept and am looking forward to seeing more diversity in my Stardew Valley town :nuruflirt:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
                              • catbossa

catbossa Space Hobo

Your welcome! I think it's important to let creators know how meaningful their work its. :) This is Vlad's portraits which takes a realistic approach to the characters. It pretty much wowed me because it was one the first mod portraits that I saw. http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/32/?

Also, I have a suggestion about Emily's clothes to make them fit in with the color palette of the other villagers. When I see her in-game she tends to stand out compared to the other characters because their clothes are a lot brighter. 5756865.png

idiotequed likes this.
                                • notsnufffie

OH! Wow! The portraits by Vlad are amazing!! Love the art but I don't think I'd use them unless they did all the characters.

Yeah. I've been meaning to go back and edit Emily's clothes. I tend to do color palette I like rather then what would look good in the game. Oops.

• idiotequed

idiotequed Aquatic Astronaut

These look SO GOOD. I'm more in love with Emily and Robin than I was before! Haley's adorable.

I guess it's taboo to get into the washing and isms, but suffice to say, I'm totally on board with this mod.

• Abokado

Abokado Subatomic Cosmonaut

Jeez, this looks freaking amazing. Haley is so adorable! And I actually like Maru's hair on the left, makes her look really funky.
                                      Thank you so much! I know I was bummed that there wasn't much diversity ingame. Gonna use this immediately. <3 (And patiently waiting for Emily's edited sprite.)

• Hex4kit

Maru's hair is incredible

• notsnufffie

@idiotequed | Thanks! I just updated Emily so be sure to redownload her.
                                          @Abokado | EE! Thank you! I'm glad you like them! I went with a slightly edited version of the longer hair for Maru. I liked her long bigger hair to much!!
                                          Thanks @Hex4kit!

Updated Emily. And added Maru. Her pulled back hair for the hospital could have been done better but I don't think I've ever talked to here there so I'm not going to bother editing it AGAIN right now.
                                          [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

One of these days if I'm really crazy I'm going to try and edit Fall and see if I can make it less offensively orange. (I love fall colors but SDV's fall is just TO MUCH ORANGE for me. It looks weird af imo.)

wraith_magus, Nunah, ZiriO and 4 others like this.