RELEASED [Storm] Character Voices (Like Undertale)

Discussion in 'Music/SFX' started by Svered, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Svered

Svered Astral Cartographer

Here's a mod that will replace the dialogue typing sound with a custom sound for each character if that character has a .wav file packed into a .xnb in Content/Voices in the Stardew Valley main directory. Still don't have sounds for every character, but the framework is there. Not 100% sure it works in all cases, but at the very least for general dialogue it works. Let me know any issues you encounter. Also feel free to post voices you create since I have no talent for it.

How to pack .wav sounds into .xnb:
    1. Create a ~0.1 second .wav file in the audio creation software of your choice.
    2. Name it after the character you want it to be the sound for.
    3. Have This in the same folder as your .wav files (credits go to jopojelly of the Terraria community for this converter)
    4. Either drag and drop to convert a single file or double click to convert all the .wav files in the folder to .xnb
    5. Drop the converted files into Content/Voices in your Stardew Valley game directory.
    6. Now it should play when you talk to those characters if my mod works correctly.

Attached Files:

Seveska, Drogean, Feka and 2 others like this.
    • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Problem 4 when I try to convert the file.

• ♥ Princess Sakura ♥

♥ Princess Sakura ♥ Void-Bound Voyager

http://imgur.com/gallery/WCfeO/

Skipping to Step 11 once you have XNB Node, if you make two folders to serve as input and output (one hosting the .wav files and the other empty), you could bring up a command window and type;

"xnb_node.cmd pack [input folder] [output folder]"
        OR
        "xnb_node.cmd pack [input file with extension] [output file with extension]"

That should hopefully convert it to .xnb - it's the method I use with my modding, though I've not done any audio mods... I don't know if this applies, but it may be worth noting that, as the guide says, with image files you need both the .png AND .yaml in the input folder before it'll let you pack it into .xnb, perhaps the audio similarly needs to be accompanied by a .yaml along with the .wav? Sorry if that doesn't help.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

We need .yaml file to convert files to xnb. Texture's one mentions #!Texture2D as type. No idea what type we need for sound.

• Svered

The program I linked works fine to convert to .xnb. Make sure there's no tag information on the audio file. I noticed the file you uploaded last night had tag information that prevented it from packing using the program I was using (which is different from the one I linked). Open your file in Audacity and reexport it and it should let you clear any set tags. It might just not like whatever Adobe does to it because it seems to work with tags set in Audacity, but is broken when I leave it with your tags. Might be 32 bit float WAV vs. 16 bit Signed PCM WAV as well, but that throws its own error.

Edit: Importing sans.wav with audacity then reexporting it as Signed 16 bit PCM WAV while removing the extra tag at the bottom worked to make it not throw a Problem 4 error.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
              keyten likes this.
            • Atelier Kuya

Atelier Kuya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So so so, with this we can give specific dialogue voices to each character?

• Svered

Not like voiceovers but if you can get a certain sound to play on each typing event for each character. It's sort of the thing that made me feel like Sans in undertale sounded like Patrick in Spongebob.

Atelier Kuya likes this.
                • Theeternal92

Theeternal92 Void-Bound Voyager

If only I wasn't too lazy to do this :zzz:
                  Great mod though

• Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i think we should brainstorm some games that have this, easiest thing to do would be to rip the sounds from an existing game and port them over

I know I've played a few games that do this, but just cant think of any recent ones

keyten likes this.
                    • Nyutan

Nyutan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

'Bebebese' from Animal Crossing comes to mind I seem to recall another game that does it.. but--OH Banjo Kazooie.

• Atelier Kuya

Atelier Kuya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mario and Luigi Super Star saga and the games in that series do it

• Reversinator

Reversinator Void-Bound Voyager

The Spyro games for the GBA had a bunch of different voices for the characters as well. It's a bit obscure, but if you need a resource, it's not a half-bad place to look.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

I have made an Abigail voice. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Drogean likes this.
                            • Drogean

thanks, wasn't sure how this mod worked but now i get it

keyten likes this.
                              • Drogean

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
                                Svered and keyten like this.
                              • Svered

I have yet to update this for the newest version of Storm since they did a shitton of refactoring/changing how things work, and I have exams this week so I don't really have a bunch of motivation to work on this. I may or may not fix it soon since I have an inkling of an idea of how the changes work, but if anyone with the knowhow wants to fix it feel free to fix it and push the fix to my github.

Drogean likes this.
                                • Drogean

I created a brand new pack of sounds for all the female characters that *i* think matches their personalities pretty well. Ya know, Haley sounds kinda bitchy, Penny sounds a bit shy, Jas has a kiddy voice

Will upload later today

Svered and keyten like this.
                                  • Megsoiluj

Megsoiluj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

can't wait to see hear that. :D

But, hope someone upload a video to check it first.

• Drogean

Female Dialog Chatter v1 Release
                                      - Adds unique chatter for every female
                                      - Chatter loosely based on personality

Please report any sound issues here

Preview (Default vs Abigail vs Caroline)
                                      https://clyp.it/l5g2myue

Install
                                      1. Install the CallBack Mod above
                                      2.Extract the zip to Stardew Valley Folder

Download Below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                                        Seveska, blargsnarf and Svered like this.
                                      • Drogean

any chance of porting to SMAPI? seems like STORM development has stopped