Do Silos have to be next to your animal building?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xreaper331, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Xreaper331

Xreaper331 Void-Bound Voyager

Does the Silo have to be directly next to for example the chicken coop? Because to save space i want to put around 4 - 6 SIlos in the bottom left corner of the farm. -Thanks

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Far as I know, no. You can place anywhere.

Xreaper331 likes this.
      • sorrymyfault

sorrymyfault Phantasmal Quasar

anywhere is fine

Xreaper331 likes this.
        • Revanak

Revanak Void-Bound Voyager

No u can place it anywhere

Xreaper331 likes this.
          • lolyeahgames

lolyeahgames Void-Bound Voyager

No, they don't. I remember when I first started playing. I was so young, so childish. I made a lot of crucial mistakes, including placing my silo right in the front of the entrance to my coop. I've since destroyed all of my buildings to make room for crops, but the point still remains: I was rather dumb. I learned the hard way, through hours of learning and training, that your Silo can go anywhere on the farm. Be glad that you're learning from my own fucking mindless mistakes. :)

Xreaper331 likes this.
            • Marak

Marak Big Damn Hero

None of my silos are anywhere near my barn or coop, and it literally doesn't matter.

The only mistake you can make is not building the silo first and filling it with hay before you build your barn/coop.

Xreaper331 likes this.
              • EpicAdventure

EpicAdventure Zero Gravity Genie

You can put the silo anywhere, even in the front of grandpa's shrine.
                He probably won't like that you're blocking him from the sun, so don't be surprised if he curses you.

Xreaper331 likes this.
                • Xreaper331

Xreaper331 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks everyone! Creative funny answers and one's who give me the information I need. (Didin't expect to get an answer that quick!:3) Anyways Last question: Do I need to fill the silo or does my hay automagically go into the silo? -Thanks!:confirm:

EpicAdventure and Tamorr like this.
                  • Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

You need the silo in order to harvest hay when using a scythe on grass. It'll automatically get stored in the silo and won't go into your inventory.

However, be warned that once the silo is full you'll stop getting hay altogether when you use the scythe on the grass. That's why my recommendation would be to either build several silos, or build a coop at least so you can withdraw the hay from the silo at the coop (can't do this in the final upgrade for coop/barn, though).

This way you don't waste all that grass, and if nothing else you can SELL the excess hay for cash as well. It'll be useful to have several silos anyway, as one silo will support a LITTLE more than a fully upgraded barn/coop it looks.

I usually build 3 in obscure corners of the farm's map that I'm unlikely to use, and then fill those and withdraw the hay. Rinse repeat. Three looks like it should be enough for one fully upgraded barn and one fully upgraded coop, full of animals. ^^

Also, another suggestion for when you're harvesting hay. Unless it's the last day in fall, leave spots of grass here and there and don't clear everything out altogether. This'll allow the grass to grow back and it'll grow in all directions and more efficiently if there's open spaces around it. There's no limiter for this it seems, so just leave patches of grass here and there. ^^

Xreaper331 likes this.
                    • Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

Reiterating everyone's answer, but with a bit of my own opinion:

No. But it sure looks mighty appropriate next to em :D

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I really don't know since I haven't gotten a coop yet... All I know is what the person above me mentions of using the scythe to fill the silo from the grass outside. Although probably best to leave for open pasture throughout the seasons, for the exception of near winter, as grass is gone then. So at that time best to clean up what you can.

Don't know if one can put the hay in the silo directly, not really tried... curious on that one. :nuruhappy:

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Doesn't look like you can. You at the very least can't PULL OUT OF IT, it doesn't look. :zzz:

As for the open pastures...my recommendation is to definitely put a fence around you coop and/or barn (for that reason put them close together). Limit the movement of your animals so they don't go getting stuck in areas they shouldn't be in, rendering them unable to return properly in the evening.

I'd set aside a decent area for this, but it doesn't need to be excessively large I don't think.

Apparently something is likely to eat them in the middle of the night if they get stuck outside. =x

I usually just leave the grass alone, except for cutting portions that are way overgrown to fill the silos up a bit...until the fall, that is. ^^

• She Meows

She Meows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sounds cute lol:D