WIP Diverse StardewValley - Hiatus / I'm dead.

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by notsnufffie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. TheFool

TheFool Astral Cartographer

not to mention her work outfit having it's own set as well.

glad you're working on a maru too, though. CA's original looks oddly purple-tinted for whatever reason and the anime portrait i'm using just clashes with all the other style of portraits i have.
    your haley is really high quality but i don't want to change anyones race in my own game either; so i'm really excited for your maru in particular!

• Eternalmyst

Eternalmyst Big Damn Hero

Because SJW's are hypocrites. Besides, both mods are fine. The whole point of mods is an optional change anyways. Nobody has to download them if they don't want to :)

3x1tus, izzy82, Kenma and 2 others like this.
      • notsnufffie

notsnufffie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, Maru is very purple. I'm letting her keep some of it but toning it down considerably.

• Qwynn

Qwynn Industrial Terraformer

Oh, I wanted to ask! Will you be doing other POC portraits as well? First Nations, Middle Eastern, East Asian, etc?

notsnufffie likes this.
          • notsnufffie

YES! 100%!! :confirm::confirm::confirm: I don't have any plans in stone yet. Sebastian is going to be Asian, because my friend Lou was already pretending he was cause her GF is Asian. I may end up doing multiple portraits of each person. Ah. But YES! I AM I WILL!

powerdemon, mosstress and Abokado like this.
            • Qwynn

Oh my goodness, that's sort of hilarious because I've always envisioned Sebastian to be mixed (white/east asian). Early on a friend of mine mentioned he sort of reminded them of Markiplier (a youtuber) who is German/Korean, and it sort of stuck. :rofl:

hwaitaeng likes this.
              • notsnufffie

Oh! I like the Markiplier headcanon! I'm going to do an Asian Sebastian for my friend Lou. But I'm thinking also a mixed version, cause he and Maru and half siblings (at first I thought they were step siblings, so I had other plans but the wiki says half so.) they're going to be Black/Asian mix. Sebastian more Asian like his mom Robin (Bye bye red hair.) and Maru more black like her dad. Might change a bit as I go. We'll see.

• Qwynn

Exciting! Can't wait to see it. =3

• Izzabelle

Izzabelle Former Staff

Racism:
                    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
                    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

There is no evidence that this definition applies to this mod or this user. So there is no need for us to assume racism is an issue. Aesthetic preference =/= racism. This means that the mod is fine, and racism as a subject need not be brought up in this mod's discussion.

Gureii, Daffodily, izzy82 and 3 others like this.
                    • M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

I love how the 'race' mods are getting so much more hate than the 'furry' mod. Given the track record of the internet. :p

Also: I love the alternate character interpretations, and while I enjoy the game as it is, I agree that choice is always good. It does, however, bother me a little that people seem to think just adding black persons to a game broadens diversity. Because that's still just two races represented. If you go with european v american v jamaican v african then I guess there's more; but my point is that there's a much wider array of options to go with. Why not make Robin and Sebastian East Indian? Or make Sam's family mixed Asian/Caucasian? If you REALLY want there to be diversity, don't stop at one! Go crazy and make more of the bachelors mixed race, or various races!

And of course I mean the colloquial version of 'race'. We're all just human and more people need to realize that.

izzy82 and notsnufffie like this.
                      • M.Car

Ignoring supervamp...

I'm also still a little bummed the only possible same-gender couple is the player's own. Not up in arms about it, but if we're acknowledging it for the player - and the townsfolk are obviously fine with it, even ALEX - then it's obviously not an issue in Pelican Town!

ermvictor and Seajun_ like this.
                        • Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

Oho, awesome <3

I'm keeping my eyes further for more characters (Haley's current depiction -suits- her character for me), but I'm definitely appreciating the hard work spent here.

Thank you for the hard work :D

and re: SJW and bitching and racism
                          People. Only one group of people is bitching here and it's not the SJWs.

So if you are calling out the people who bitches about Maru's whitewashing, then it's 1-1 for 'bitching about race and representative issues in videogame mods', yes?

ermvictor likes this.
                          • notsnufffie

@M.Car | Um. I mentioned in the thread that I'm doing more then just black people. I've got plans for Middle-Eastern, Asian, First Nations, East Asian, and so on.

@supervamp78 | Try reading the thread before commenting. I'm not just doing black people.

@Trifoilum | You are to kind!! Thank you! I'm really happy with how Haley came out. I want to tweak her outfit a bit later, but I've just go so many more people to do it'll have to wait.

ermvictor and Trifoilum like this.
                            • M.Car

Sorry dude, did not notice that on my first read through. (Fairness: Kinda just skimmed the images and then got caught on all the people complaining and wanted to offer my support...) But AWESOME! Super on-board with more choice in the characters!

notsnufffie likes this.
                              • notsnufffie

No no, it's okay. To be honest I'm a little on edge from all this. Sorry if I came off rude. Thanks. And thank you for your support!

• Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

WOOT MORE DIVERSE STARDEW VALLEY

Ofmanynames and notsnufffie like this.
                                  • Trifoilum

Trifoilum Cosmic Narwhal

Nah, ignore it. person is trying every trick in the book to bring you down and somehow paint you as a / the bad person <3

• M.Car

Yeah dude, keep on keepin' on!

• npnah

npnah Space Hobo

Your mod is great. Diversity is the best. Thank you :D

But to everyone refer the mod that change Maru skin as "whitewashing" it likes you are accusing the modder racist.
                                        The man just want Maru in HIS game to have white skin, what's the problem? why to judge other's preference?

Those who have problem with these mod are the REAL RACIST here.

• Apollyna

Apollyna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just voicing my support for this idea. I would be very excited to see you do as many NPCs as you can, in as many beautiful shades of brown as you can ~

Don't let the uneducated get to you; you're doing great work!!

notsnufffie likes this.