Please answer this poll - Where you bought S.V.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EpicAdventure, Mar 12, 2016.

?

Do you have (select both if you have the game in the two sites):

Poll closed Mar 31, 2016.
  1. Stardew Valley - Steam version

83.8%
  2. Stardew Valley - Gog version

16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EpicAdventure

EpicAdventure Zero Gravity Genie

I'm curious about the prefered version of players of this game.
    Some of the differences are:

Gog version
    No DRM.
    No sountrack available for purchase.
    21 achievements (Only in-game achievements ATM. Very few games have achievements in Galaxy. The Witcher comes to mind).
    Slow updates (gog staff tests the game before they release the new version).

Steam version
    Soundtrack DLC available.
    40 achievements.
    Quick updates.

I purchased the gog version, because I think DRM is disgusting, and I knew if I purchased there that the game would be DRM-free. But I can understand why some people would prefer steam version, updates are much quicker and there's a lot of achievements.

I would appreciate if after voting, you posted the reason you bought Stardew Valley in X site.

• Godot

Godot Big Damn Hero

GOG because I find it convenient to be able to install the game at places where I donĀ“t have the Steam client installed

• Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I purchased Steam because that's what I have currently installed after my pc reset.
        I have nothing against GOG either just DRM literally makes no difference to me.
        Plus I like my achievements and I saw it there first.

• Indigo Rose

Indigo Rose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Steam DRM is like the least troublesome DRM ever. Also, steam is just a really convenient platform.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I got on steam, day 1.

Reasons:
            --it has an easy to use wallet card program I can use to put money on account.
            --Not all titles require steam to use, especially this title. Only to update, or so it has been said. (I have a some number of titles that don't require steam running to play it.)
            --convenience to have game in library and in one place.
            --It is exactly the same no matter where it is sold at the moment, barring the update it is in. GOG a bit slower due to this. But is the exact same files, minus the steam api ones needed for steam.
            --I don't have a GOG account, and don't feel like signing up at this time. Plus I don't know if they have a similar wallet card concept that steam does.
            --Don't really care what platform it was on beyond one simple fact; PC. All I cared is buying a copy of it, due to awaiting for something like this for over a decade or so... When ever back to nature was released to the USA.

I am personally not overly concerned with DRM, unless it is one of those hassle types that has you going through 2-3 different things in order to just play the game. Two worlds I am looking at you... :nurusick:

So basically it was the platform I had that it was sold on, and I just wanted the game. :nuruflirt:

• christhekiller

christhekiller Subatomic Cosmonaut

Steam, it's the library where I have all my games except Minecraft and Rimworld, and even then I have them listed on my library. And the steam DRM doesn't get in my way.

• Killist

Killist Intergalactic Tourist

gog
                Even though I have over 200 titles in my steam library, I always go for gog whenever I have the choice as CD Projekt is the only publisher/developer that I like.
                The slower updates made no difference to me as I won't even be playing everyday to really benefit from quicker updates
                Never understood why people obsess over achievements if there's no in-game reward for them

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I bought GoG because Steam was being a little bitch and not accepting my visa.

Thanks for not taking my money Gaben. Now I have to wait longer for updates.

• RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Steam because I have over 120 games on there. The DRM makes no difference to me as playing offline really only affects online features such as chat, game time logged, and cloud saves.

• metalax

metalax Subatomic Cosmonaut

Steam, because it is so much more convenient to have all/most of my games within a single library, that is automatically kept patched upto date. I hardly regard it as DRM it has so little interference in actually playing, and the number of games that don't even need the client running to play.

• M.Car

M.Car Space Penguin Leader

Steam, because I don't have to worry about it being up to date, and I can buy a steam card at the mall (as I don't want to own a Visa because I like not being in debt.)

• Fallingferret

Fallingferret Void-Bound Voyager

This thqh fam.

Steam's drm features only come into play for those who go without an internet connection for over 3 month periods IIRC. (Unless they extended that) Otherwise it's a pretty hassle-free storefront and game library for most people.

Edit: and the fact valve as tried to make steam the least obtrusive drm out there

• Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

I think you forgot to select the Maximum Selectable Responses as Single Choice.

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

Gog, I hate DRM, they NEVER CAN punish pirates, only paying customers. pirates always get a better experience and only paying customers get screwed, so I buy Gog games whenever possible. I like to support good business practice.

• EpicAdventure

That was on purpose. Some people purchase the same game in more than one store, for whatever reason.
                                It happens.
                                Some people like the game so much that they don't mind giving more money to the developer(s).
                                I've Terraria in Steam and Gog, for example. It's a game that gave me countless hours of entertainment, so I didn't mind spending more $$$. Also, I wanted the DRM-free version.

• Oerba Dia Vanille

Oerba Dia Vanille Starship Captain

Steam. I don't even know what is Gog

• EpicAdventure

Gog is a store similar to Steam.
                                    It used to be Good Old Games (GOG), but that changed a few years ago. That's why you'll find a lot of old titles there, like Grim Fandango, Star Wars - X-Wing, Doom, etc.
                                    I'd say the main things that make it different than Steam are:

• They always release games without DRM. The games are yours, until you die. If gog went bankrupt, and they had to end the service, it wouldn't stop you from being able to play all your games.
                                    • They've a client (it's called Galaxy), so you can talk with friends, know what they're playing, patch your games, like in steam. But it's optional, if you want, you can just download your games and talk in the forums, which many people do.

Oerba Dia Vanille likes this.
                                    • Thorin

Thorin Pangalactic Porcupine

Thru GOG. When possible preferably not by Steam.