RELEASED Less Depressing Marriage Dialogue

Discussion in 'Characters' started by azeala, Mar 12, 2016.

1. azeala

azeala Void-Bound Voyager

Marriage dialogue edited to be less depressing. Sam doesn't give up his music. Sebastian doesn't give up his motorcycle. No more depressing comments about never going into town, missing friends/family, and being isolated. I haven't had a chance to test it yet since I'm not married so let me know if there's any issues.

• RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Hrm, not sure how much of a demand there is for this since as long as you keep your spouse happy they don't say stuff like that.

• sivolobwho

sivolobwho Phantasmal Quasar

This isn't true, actually. Sebastian says things like, "I miss my motorcycle! It's too dangerous for a married man, though," and, "I wonder how Sam's doing? We used to be good friends."
        And Sam says, "I've given up being a musician. I'm a family man now!" And other things about giving up the guitar. They're default dialogue strings, so they don't have to be unhappy to say them.

Thanks, OP! Some of the default marriage dialogue does make me say, "Aw... geez." :^(

• RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Huh, I've yet to get anything like that from Abigail about her adventuring dreams or being away from her family.

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I had been reading about the low points of marriage dialogue this morning. Thank you for this :)

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Any chance to edit out complaints about indoors being messy and there not being any crops to water? Leah breaks my heart every time she asks if I'm even doing anything, while looking out over the fields she has so dutifully watered before her early-onset Alzheimers kicked in...
              (It's a bug, it bothers me, I want it gone if possible. Please?)

• azeala

I'd like to change that dialogue too but I can't figure out what file it's located in. If I find it I'll edit the text and post an update.

Kittenykat likes this.
                • Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Much appreciated.

• Greenxblack164

Greenxblack164 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ive yet to get married, and didn't know about this but now that I do it's pretty upsetting. I downloaded this mod, but a quick question, does it delete the dialogue out, or replace it with something else?

• azeala

It replaces the dialogue with something else. The majority of it was left untouched, but some of the generic comments like "I'm fine in here by myself!" "Oh, I'm not bored..." "Say hi to everyone in town," have been edited so they don't feel like such a guilt trip. Sam and Sebastian also had a few of their specific lines edited, since Sam talked a lot about giving up on music and Sebastian made some comments about how he and Sam "used" to be really good friends and how he misses his motorcycle.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

If you can't find dialogue it is hardcoded into dlls. You will need API if you want to change that.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

So yeah, despite not having coded seriously for over a decade (and even then I pretty much stuck only to PHP and SQL), I decided to try to help looking. Couldn't find it either.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably hidden in whatever file handles schedules for the married people and/or pathing. I have absolutely no idea which file that would be, but that's where I'd start looking.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

If you give me exact words of that dialogue I may try I may search it in all extracted XNB files with search engine but I am pretty sure It is hardcoded.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Unfortunately I don't have the exact words right now, and I have another engagement for the next few hours - but one of the messages was something along the lines of "The house is a mess... I can't even get where I want to." and the other was something like "I was going to water the crops, but I couldn't find any. Are you even doing anything?"

I can say I'm 98% certain of the exact phrase "house is a mess", so that might be a good starting point.

I'll see if I can't get the dialogue to pop up again later today. Will post a screenshot if that's the case.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

This one?
                                this.setNewDialogue("You could have cleaned up in here a little while I was gone...$a#$e#It's not very nice to have to wade through a bunch of junk after a hard day's work.$a", false, false);

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

That sounds like the right kind of dialogue, but it was not the one I got. Mine specifically had "the house is a mess". Maybe it depends on who you married, or there are several which it randomly picks from? I married Leah, if that matters.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

No luck.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

All right, found the exact quote. "Ugh... the house is a mess. I can't even get to where I need to go!"

I sped up through the days by sleeping, trying to catch her saying her line about not finding any crops... but no luck, she didn't do it before my save file turned winter, and I gave up at that point.

If you can't find it, though, I guess we just have to deal with it until it's properly patched. Oh well.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Found the crops one:
                                        this.setNewDialogue("I was going to water some crops this morning, but I couldn't find any! Are you even doing any work out here?$s", false, false);

Drogean likes this.
                                        • Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, that's the one. No doubt about it.