RELEASED [Storm] and [SMAPI] TimeSpeed Mod--Configurable Day Lengths

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by cantorsdust, Mar 4, 2016.

1. 0atBran

0atBran Void-Bound Voyager

That is weird, it works just fine for me. Are you saying that .37.1A is a newer version of SMAPI then .37.2?

• Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

The current Storm version doesn't appear to be working. The info on the OP is confusing so I downloaded anyway and tested.

• cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

Version 1.5.3.0 of TimeSpeed out. Updated for recent Storm and adds clock and world lighting smoothing--no more "ticks"!
        https://github.com/cantorsdust/TimeSpeed/releases

With the public release of Storm, I will no longer be continuing development of the SMAPI version.

• Pyrii

Awesomesauce, seems to be working. Will give a thorough test later, I have RL stuff to do first.

• Vitriks

Vitriks Space Spelunker

Main link doesn't have binaries.

• Rezo2012

Rezo2012 Void-Bound Voyager

Not finding these Binaries your all talking about.

• cantorsdust

From the very link:

• Geoclasm

Geoclasm Lucky Number 13

Would it be possible, perhaps at a future time, to see an option with this mod wherein it can be toggled while the game is running?

For example : I want to run a game in real time - 10 minutes game time = 10 minutes real time, but eventually the time is going to come when I want to speed time up for some reason and I've run out of stuff to do. Having a check box someplace which would toggle the time-dilation on/off would come in handy.

That said - looking forward to trying this out. ( Also - if this feature already exists please disregard, although, is it possible to change the config file while the game is running and the changes be propagated into the game? )

Also - I did try setting it for 10 Minutes ( IRL ) = 10 Minutes in game but the clock just stopped ( either that or I wasn't patient enough to wait 600 seconds before making this post -.- )

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
                  • Radedo

Radedo Void-Bound Voyager

If anyone is interested, I made a video that highlights 10 gameplay mods for Stardew Valley and it features this one as well. You can see it HERE

• Rezo2012

Rezo2012 Void-Bound Voyager

Please let us know when you make a stable version.

• krithias

krithias Space Hobo

So, the SMAPI version doesnt work anymore?

• cantorsdust

The Storm mod version is quite stable. Read the quote--it's talking about Storm being unstable. Not quite true, just a caution, really. The mod works just fine. SMAPI version works, but will not be updated in the future.

I bet the clock was running.

The way the clock works is that that 180 degree period must be covered by the entire time from 6 AM to 2 AM the next day. That's 1200 minutes, or 120 10 minute ticks. That means each 10 minute tick is 1.5 degrees of rotation. You're having the clock hand move 1.5 degrees per minute. That's very, very slow. It's (600/7) 85.7 times slower than the base game.

That said, I am looking into ways to adjust clock speed while the game is running. Storm has a built in, in-game console that I can use, but it's currently broken in the current version. With that console, you could enter a command to change your time speed on the fly. Hotkeys could work too, and that's actually not a bad idea--I'll look into that more. A speed up and slow down button should be doable now.

Long term, I am hoping to create an in-game menu like CJB does with his In Game Cheats mod to let you set it easily.

Geoclasm likes this.
                          • Geoclasm

Geoclasm Lucky Number 13

I was referring to the digital clock. I didn't see a single tick after waiting for at least 10 minutes ( I think. Again, not claiming that I'm the most patient individual here ).

• cantorsdust

So I started testing this. I had already rigged up a counter to print to the console values as time ticked by. I set the tick length to 600 and wait.

Around 2 minutes with entirely normal values I start to think to myself. "This asshole's going to make me wait 10 minutes to watch this clock tick like normal."

Around 4 minutes I started thinking, "This is bullshit, I'm just going to stop now."

Around 5 minutes I started thinking, "No. I'm going to wait out the full 10 minutes and show this asshole a screenshot of 6:10 AM."

And right after 5 minutes, the values overflowed and went negative. Went back in my code and realized I was multiplying 7000 * the number of milliseconds that have passed, which overflows a 32 bit integer right around... 5 minutes.

Version 1.5.3.1 fixes the overflow bug for the Storm version. Shouldn't have any trouble with ticklengths up to about 300,000 at least, and I added absolute values to everything so it should overflow gracefully and keep working after that. Many thanks for the entertaining bug report :)
                              https://github.com/cantorsdust/TimeSpeed/releases

edit: If your tick lengths are less than 300 (5 minutes), don't feel in too much of a hurry for this update--you're not breaking anything.

• LLSix

LLSix Intergalactic Tourist

I really like your mods Cantorsdust, but I'm having a small problem. My game is consistently starting new days at 9:00 p.m. at night. I've been able to work around this by quitting out and restarting the game fresh which starts me at 6:00 a.m. when I load up my game.

The only mods I have are:
                                Storm-0.1.1.0_GIT-2cbc63f of Storm,
                                1.5.3.0 of Timespeed,
                                1.4.4.0 of FreezeInside

I have FreezeInside set to freeze time in the mine too.

• Pyrii

Could be FreezeInside doing it as TimeSpeed is working fine for me at a setting of "14".

• Proxiehunter

Proxiehunter Void-Bound Voyager

The installation instructions for this mod seem to only refer to your steam installation and your steam folder. Is it incompatible with the GOG version of the game?

• famacis

famacis Intergalactic Tourist

Timespeed 1.4.2 it worked for my SMAPI 0.37.2A

• cantorsdust

I reintroduced the same bug for like the third time into FreezeInside because I've rewritten the code for 2 APIs now and rewritten the internal code at least once. You'd think I'd learn at some point. In any case, that was fixed already with the latest version, 1.4.4.1 of FreezeInside.

https://github.com/cantorsdust/FreezeInside/releases

Thanks for the very clear and helpful bug report.

Works fine with anything that Storm works with.

Edit: Also I have no idea what you mean about my instructions referring to my Steam installation. They make no mention of Steam or its folders. You need to put the mod in %appdata%\StardewValley\Mods\TimeSpeed.

That's where it goes. %appdata%\StardewValley\ is a standard folder everyone with Stardew Valley has.

• Geoclasm

Geoclasm Lucky Number 13

Uh... okay then. Glad I helped...? Also, I should hope no ( sane ) individual would take the length of a day and extend it to be longer than real time, unless they're trying to pull some serious Dragonball Z level stuff...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016