Dev Blog 10th March - Is this the rail life?

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Original Post
    ---

Hello everyone! I dunno how it could possibly be Thursday already, but here we are. Let's talk about rails!
    [​IMG]

The rail system is something Metadept started over the Christmas holiday, and we've since taken a little bit of time to polish it up so that it's ready in time for 1.0. We've tried to include the key elements of the Skyrails mod by Apjjm as well as craftable elevators in order to create something that's more in line with Starbound's design: general purpose, flexible and creative!

[​IMG]

The core of the system are rail materials, which are non-colliding blocks that players place in the world. These materials will automatically connect to each other and to adjacent rail objects, so it should be easy to create anything from simple elevators to large rail networks!

Players can currently make use of the rails in two different ways: by placing self-propelled moving platforms, or by sliding along rails using a special rail hook item driven by gravity.

[​IMG]

In addition to basic rail tiles, there are also several objects to make more complex rail networks possible: a rail bumper that caps rail endpoints and sends riders back in the opposite direction, a rail stop that stops and starts riders based on a wire input, a rail switch that connects and disconnects rails based on wire input, and a rail sensor that triggers a wire output whenever a rail rider crosses it.

[​IMG]

We'd like to expend the system in the future with more types of rails, objects, and things that travel along them!
    What do you think? :)

KuroKyo, Dunto, Sir Wilfrey and 30 others like this.
  2. Ferretic

Ferretic Aquatic Astronaut

Couldn't come up with a witty remark this time.
    THIS is why Starbound is the most innovative game ever.

Nice work Devs!

More things that move along rails, you say?
    Turrets maybe? :3

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Sir Wilfrey, Yarott, Sylxeria and 9 others like this.
  3. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

Really good job.

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

My main takeaway from this blog post is scriptable blocks, and my reaction is "holy crap".

5. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

Time to make a reskin of those platforms, to look like doors. :D

Edit: It's like skyrails and the current elevators were mashed together, and created something better than either one!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Sir Wilfrey, R_C_A^ and steelwing like this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Letrune is gonna love this, I tell you hwat.

7. Polraudio

Polraudio Void-Bound Voyager

Finally something to replace those god awful elevators.... i hope.

8. ogdred

ogdred Phantasmal Quasar

All of my "YES!"

Also , turrets in general getting more love(dev attention) would be nice.

Astrih Konnash and Blevruz like this.
  9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Aw yes. I'm not sure if it has been fixed (or if I goofed), but could you also make it so NPC's understand how to use/ride elevators?
    I have 2 glitch guards at the bottom of an elevator upwards but they don't know how to use it so they can't socialize with other village people.
    So sad to see.

Except for that, again, aww yisss, very nice.

PabloM likes this.
  10. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

Vechicles that move along rails! Yes, please! :D

Great news overall :).

PabloM likes this.
  11. Kitts2307

Kitts2307 Void-Bound Voyager

The best news all week!

I can't wait to make an underground tram system!

12. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

That looks interesting.
    Will they replace the current elevators, or will they simply be a new part?

13. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooo this is too cool :D I cant wait to try it out!

14. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I now fully expect a 'Fanta-sea' biome...

15. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

This immediately came to mind;

16. Kitts2307

I hope we can launch these platforms off the rails like in thrillville!

17. Volchonok

Volchonok Void-Bound Voyager

You know what'd be awesome? Being able to put containers like crates and chests on these things. We could make our own automated cargo-holds that way. We push a button, and the crate of our choice comes zipping towards us. We take out what we want, push the button again and it zooms off.

'Course for that to work we'd need it to be able to stop on both ends. In the pictures above it loops back once reaching the end, so we'd also need to be able to make points which force the platform to come to a stop, similar to the switch node shown above.

18. Akastuki

Akastuki Void-Bound Voyager

For real. Hits me instantly.

Might as well add those flipping platform, right?

Kawa and TeddyBearYoshi like this.
  19. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

You don't know how frustrated I was with the previous elevator system. I can't tell you how awesome this is.

20. Kitts2307

OR, we could do it the fun way and put like a million delay gates up to keep the cargo supplies out for as long as you'd think you need them. Five-second timers would work, too, but it doesn't look nearly as impressive when you wire it all up.