Modding Help Installing/Using - Need help big time.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Clovilah, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Clovilah

Clovilah Void-Bound Voyager

Why do these mods mean so much to you, why don't you just play the game regularly?
    I'm an at-home mom. I'm 33 with a two year old and an 8 month old girl. I have virtually no time to sit down and play something, let alone something that is so detailed in time management.

I have trouble (physically) moving a lot of times, so I am stuck at my computer, despite having to take care of my kids. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I need "me time" or my sanity level drops dangerously low.

I've modded plenty of games before, especially since I only play PC games anyways; but this is like an alien world to me and I have -no- idea what I am doing or what I am even reading about when I go through the forums. A lot of the terms and conversations are spoken in a way that you need to be understanding of the subject in order to fully understand it. I cannot hit the ground running so-to-speak, with these things and really would appreciate some help.

Before SMAPI was taken over by a different user, I was doing ok with it. Now there's a new version and something called Storm and apparently I have completely misunderstood what to do with any of it.

• Windows 10
    • v1.04 of the game
    • Running Version 0.37.2 of SMAPI
    I don't know how to use Storm or really even if I should.

The mods I want to use are here: 01.jpg

This is also where I have SMAPI and the mods installed: 02.jpg

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Also, I think anyone willing to make a detailed video showing how to install SMAPI and Storm and XNB (Which I know -nothing- about what so ever) I think it would be a huge help to the entire community.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • dimasep0

dimasep0 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi @Clovilah I think you shouldn't jump into the STORM train yet seeing it's still in open beta which expected to have lots of bugs to fix. For now, I suggest to keep using SMAPI.

edit: if you need anything else, just ask. I'll help if I can.

• Clovilah

Hello ^^

I might have read it incorrectly, but I thought that FreezeInside.dll needed to have Storm in order to work correctly. It was either that and/or the mod that allows you to use all crops in all seasons. A lot of the stuff I read from and about Storm looks like right now it is only for modders, but I keep seeing mods that say they require it. I don't have it installed and don't know how to honestly anyways. But nothing is working for me at all right now. It opens and everything looks like it is ok, but the game is vanilla, like nothing is installed.

• dimasep0

Many of these mods are out for testing out the new STORM API, while usable right now, it has some lengthy step like decomplying and etc. For now, I suggest waiting for STORM to get into stable state. Meanwhile, if you want mod that freeze time inside, may I suggest CJB's In-Game Cheat Menu? It uses SMAPI and have option to freeze time inside. Don't be put out with the word 'cheat' cause everything is toogle-able. You can read it more at the mod page. Here's the link : http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/smapi-0-37-1-in-game-cheat-menu-v1-5-1-9-mar-2016.108004/

• Clovilah

I will give it a try, I just don't have any mods working at the moment.

• dimasep0

All right, feel free to ask again if you run into problem(s).

• Clovilah

If anyone else would be willing to help me understand what I am doing wrong with SMAPI as of right now, I would really appreciate it.

• dimasep0

If I may ask, can you tell us since when do you face difficulties with SMAPI? I myself use SMAPI and there hasn't been any change in the way of using it.

• Clovilah

• Clovilah

I put up the pictures to show where I have SMAPI installed. I put up the mods to show what I am trying to use. I don't know what I am doing wrong, that is my biggest issue. No matter what, none of the mods will work.

• dimasep0

If SMAPI used to work, then it should work normally too. The new guy that takes over SMAPI doesn't change the way SMAPI works and only implementing new features until STORM release. However, at closer inspection some of the mods you're trying to use are out of date and won't be updated until STORM release. Please wait a moment while I cross check several things.

• Clovilah

My issue is that none of them work. I know it is something I am doing wrong. And I realize that at least three of those (time freeze, deposit anywhere & calender anywhere) don't work right now with the updates. Are all of my mods out of date and not working?

• dimasep0

Alright, More Variable Grasses, Jumino, Calendar, and Durable Fences are all obsolete with current SMAPI; Instant catch, Freeze Inside, and Warp Mod has been rendered redundant because their functions have been implemented into CJB's In-Game Cheat Menu; Last time I checked, there was this rather game-breaking bug that makes you unable to gain any relationship points via talking in return of not losing them and the mod creator stop using them. Delete these and see maybe there's a change.

Clovilah likes this.
                            • Clovilah

I will do this when I have a chance, have to take care of real life right now but thank you so much for all the patience. It is seriously appreciated.

Edit: Thank you so much for the help. I deleted everything you suggested and got the cheat menu thing. It works like a charm. You literally saved my game & my mommy sanity, thank you so much. It gets very boring sitting here for such a long time, because I cannot move about very easily for medical reasons. This is just fantastic, thank you so much again it means so much to me. If I could only figure out how to get this to work with Steam overlay/achievements I'd be set lol.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
                              • dimasep0

• clefairykid

clefairykid Void-Bound Voyager

I don't follow this stuff very well either but managed to suss out that most of my issues came from the fact that many mods are either not updated to work on smapi 3.7+ specifically (as in your earlier version smapi is fine but the very latest one has fewer compatible mods for it) and this is the result of many no longer bothering to update them because they know that storm is coming soon (but don't get confused and add anything storm related in yet, as 1. its not ready and 2. you can't use a smapi thing a storm thing at the same time).

I'm not entirely sure what you're aiming to do precisely but I know that for my own needs, the CJB cheat menu (and maybe next time I'm playing the show sell price one he did as well) covers everything I want, it's got durable fences, inside time freeze and does so so much more that there's really only a few things it doesn't do, but I've not had the need to install anything else yet. Plus I can personally vouch for it working on latest smapi and the creator updates it super often and takes feedback from users c: So try that one out if you want a single easy to use mod that covers plenty of things.

• Clovilah

I did try out the suggestion and although the game starts up just fine and says I am playing Stardew, I cannot get the overlay or achievements to work. When I asked for help the only thing anyone asked me was if I started it through Steam.

• Clovilah

Yeah I got the cheat menu thing, it does a lot more than I wanted honestly but for now it is all right. I don't like the temptation with the money and freeze time everywhere, etc. But for now it works, sort of. The last update screws up cut scenes and causes the game to freeze so I had to go back to 1.4 for that mod.