Tool SMAPI: Stardew Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ClxS, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clefairykid

clefairykid Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, super new to all of this, haven't ever modded anything before and don't use PCs much either, so my bad if it's terribly obvious what's going wrong :rofl:

I downloaded this, unzipped the folder to the stardew valley folder (I'm using a GOG version on Windows 7, old and mostly likely never updated since it's just on my dual boot partition and doesn't get used for anything other than the occasional game that won't run on wineskin).

I moved the dll files I wanted to use to the mod folder and the new smapi exe to the same place as the original one, and it opens just fine with this new exe, however in the black area during loading, it says 0 mods loaded, and as far as I can tell nothing has happened, it doesn't seem to be able to see any mods.

Someone recommended right clicking the dll files and to check "unblock" but there is no such option in the window I get for properties on a file, maybe because my windows is "old" (although in my opinion XP is old, not 7 haha)

Is there something missing? I don't really know how to install this, I just moved the files to what seemed like the correct places based on the file structures mentioned on the github page, but I don't personally understand what a dll file is or anything to know if I should have done anything else. Also, there are two folders called "Mods" so I don't know which is the one we should put dll files in, or both, but I tried both and it didn't work anyway so :rofl:

The dll files I'm trying to use are the durable fence mod and the cheat menu mod, I figured I'd try the cheat menu because it's listed here as compatible with this new version of smapi and also because it's a physical thing I should be able to see right away if a mod has worked (it'll be harder to know if the fence one has worked without playing a few days in first).

• jtfin

jtfin Lucky Number 13

To be clear, in your 'Stardew Valley' application folder (the one with Stardew Valley.exe), does it look like the following (there are more files than this, but should seem similar):

Stardew Valley/
      |
      --- Content/
      |
      --- Animals/, Buildings/, etc.​
      --- Mods /
      |
      --- Content/
      --- TrainerMod.dll​
      --- Stardew Valley.exe
      --- StardewModdingAPI.exe

When you then open 'StardewModdingAPI.exe,' does the console (the black window) run for a few seconds then the game boot? Or do you only see the console (the black window)?

• jtfin

jtfin Lucky Number 13

We have a fix in code review that will help with the assets issue. It should be integrated soon and will be in the next version.

Thanks for your feedback, we wouldn't have checked for the bug otherwise :)

Cygen and Ao Tamashī like this.
        • Clovilah

Clovilah Void-Bound Voyager

I'm using the latest version of SMAPI I know of (0.37.2) and none of my mods are working at all. I updated because I wanted to use a couple of the newer mods that are out but nothing seems to work now. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? help.jpg

Edit: I have tried full screen, unblocking the dlls, running as admin and I checked to see that the mods were updated as well.

• Emtu

Emtu Subatomic Cosmonaut

You are running the API EXE not the regular one, right?

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

After it's been picked up by a lot of the modders, no. I'll give it a little time to give modders chance to convert their mods over though. I'll also be happy to help people convert if they need it.
              But yeah, once Storm is out I'm moving on to creating my own mod and other side projects not related to Stardew. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
              • skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Visual themes? You mean the windows ten ones?

• ClxS

Hey there, just to let you know we think we found the source of the problem. A contributor has fixed it and it'll be in the next release.
                  Edit: Woops, didn't see jtfins comment. :p

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
                    Cygen likes this.
                  • skedone

Did you manage to duplicate the error I was having, have bought it on steam today to test if it's something that is diff in gog version for you

• Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know where it is on win8, but you should be able to right-click the executable -> properties -> compatability -> check the box 'disable visual themes'.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

..does this work with the 1.05 beta?
                        tempted to test that, but not sure if it will break this.

• ClxS

Not sure really. I'm working from the Steam version which is still at 1.04.

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello, could you please put up this guide on how to play with SMAPI and still get achievements on steam?
                            Lots of people ask on how to do this, it would be easier for them to learn about it here.

Full credits to Wandernorb111, of course.

mokoyoko and Clovilah like this.
                            • skedone

Yeah that's not a thing or used in windows 10

• Acrimonia

You're using Win10? My condolences.
                                More seriously, there's a lot of issues I've had at work with Win10 not running displays properly, I thought you were using Win8 for some reason... Hrmn.
                                Give me a minute. When I get back to work, I'll ask a coworker who runs it for advice.

• osuki

osuki Space Spelunker

i can't use weather controller ;w;

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Emtu

Emtu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I strongly suspect it wasn't updated for SMAPI 0.37. Use the cheat menu mod if you're not, weather is one of many things it can do.

• Acrimonia

You've probably moved on, but in case you're still trying to get this working, I've been told it is in fact in Win10, and should be in the exact same place. Are you sure you don't have compatability options?
                                      Failing that, here try alt-entering and then alt-tabbing and see of that auto-resizes it, even if you go back to full screen.
                                      If so, it's possible that your laptop is set at a different default resolution then your monitor, though it's unlikely.
                                      But hey, I'd love to narrow down the easier things first.

Let me know if there's any dice.

• skedone

no i have not moved on just family life took over im about to test steam version now and see what happens will get back to you

• skedone

got it these are the settings i had to change encase anyone else is having the same issue
                                          [​IMG]

Acrimonia likes this.
                                          Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.