RELEASED Maru White Skin

Discussion in 'Characters' started by diippyjas, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oron999

Oron999 Seal Broken

lol to be honest, I personally identify really strongly as an ally to social justice communities. While you're right that "SJW" is a pejorative label for SJ communities, they're also kind of synonymous. I spend quite a bit of time seeing what they have to say and considering their perspectives. And I can tell you that "egalitarian" is not a label that is used often for members of these communities.

I don't think that the point is that your opinion is not valid. It is more like, yours is one of many perspectives. I do not like to think of advocating for SJ perspectives as "protection" because that strikes me as paternalistic and inappropriate. It's more like, there are many different view on these subjects with interesting things to say, and the goal is to persuade as many people as possible to consider alternative frameworks in a variety of situations.

• cunnyform

cunnyform Space Hobo

So you're against modding as a concept entirely?

Skullycakes, Colton, Thoragon and 2 others like this.
      • Greenxblack164

Greenxblack164 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its a game... she looks more hispanic than anything,

• Kcho

Kcho Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yet you don't find it strange that people want to change everyone to anthro-furries? it's just personal choice, some people find white chicks more attractive, some find black chicks more attractive, some find cars attractive, some find trees attractive, some people find three headed dragons with tentacles that breath acid and shoot bullets out of their nipples attractive, people just like different things and this was done to those who might like it.

And I don't agree with Oron because ever since games were created there was never a focus to make people black or white, they just made a good and iconic character and everyone liked it all the same (see Mario, Link, Solid Snake, Donkey Kong, Bowser etc) , their skin color was irrelevant and we got this far in the videogame industry without it being a problem, it's only a problem if you make it a problem.

• keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

It is already more popular than my cave. Goog job!

• ateos

ateos Aquatic Astronaut

So is Alex, the Wizard and all the other portrait mods here. All were modified to not look like the original or as you word it "Designed". Why is that Maru is so special? Hell even the "anime-fied" portrait no longer looks like Maru.

Skullycakes, Colton and Thoragon like this.
              • Cruxador

Cruxador Poptop Tamer

Except you have no problem with changing other characters skin tone or even gender so obviously "I'm just against modding characters in general" is a lie.
                You mean why am I getting offended? Because you're being offensive.

Yeah, it strikes me that way too. Because it is.

• Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

Hey, just throwing in my two cents here. I'm not going to comment on anyone's opinions here, but is this *really* the place for a petty argument like this?

• sunbean

sunbean Void-Bound Voyager

Of course, I think that people don't focus on race when they make games and it's not racist to make everyone white, hence why I still enjoy playing games and don't complain. However, I do think it's perfectly valid for people to be able to ask for more diversity, and be properly represented. It's just a matter of letting the gaming industry catch up to other forms of entertainment. It's relatively new. And no, this issue has been discussed plenty of times, the world is a big place.

I do think the anthro mod request is a bit weird, but I didn't say anything about that, and again, different strokes. I wasn't going to comment here but I felt the need to respond to some things said here.

009i66 likes this.
                    • Oron999

Oron999 Seal Broken

It's not just about preserving original qualities. It's also about the wider racial implications and how it plays into, feeds from, and births more systemic inequality and representational issues. Making someone into an anthro character from a non-anthro one does not play into these big messed-up social problems. Making a dark-skinned character light-skinned does, you know? If there were distinct pro-anthro biases and discrimintation, or non-anthro real people felt under-represented and unattractive, I'd understand the cause for concern. It is the social context of the change that causes some people to feel an aversion to lightening a character's skin, but not other changes.

009i66, Nunah, LovelessPsycho and 2 others like this.
                      • zerlkung

zerlkung Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like old maru. :D

• Oron999

Oron999 Seal Broken

Do you find this discussion unpleasant? I was hoping it could be a productive exchange, where maybe people from different perspectives could come to some sort of mutual understanding, or at least acceptance. I want to make sure that each perspective is adequately represented and expressed, so that we can all walk away feeling that we've gained a degree of understanding. It is very easy for people to talk past each other, and I always hate to see that.

• BlushingCreep

BlushingCreep Phantasmal Quasar

I never said I was against modding characters in general. Ever.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not doing what you're insisting I'm doing. You're putting words in my mouth. You've got strong feelings about what it is to be mixed race and you feel like I'm dictating how someone of mixed race has to look or be. I'm not. I'm saying that this character, in specific, is mixed race. She was created with a darker skintone. My opinion is that it shouldn't be lightened because that takes away one of the only visual cues that she isn't white. That's it. I'm not saying that all mixed people of black and white parentage have to be dark skinned in order to qualify as being mixed race. They don't.

LovelessPsycho likes this.
                            • Bucketlamp

It's not that I find the conversation unpleasant, it's just really not the right place to have this kind of "debate". As for trying to find a level of acceptance, that's the general excuse to allow an argument about politics, religion, gender, race, etc to persist. Some issues people will simply stand where they stand, trying to make them see in another perspective is like trying to explain color to the blind.

magyareagle likes this.
                              • Cruxador

Cruxador Poptop Tamer

No, just when the mod doesn't fit your agenda. So don't claim it's about what's "right" or how the dev intended.

You're saying she has to stay on your pedestal of what it means to be mixed and anyone who takes her off that pedestal is committing a sin against your worldview.
                                She has two parents who are visibly of different races. That's what makes her mixed. That's all it takes, and aside from her own cultural perspective and how she chooses to identify, that's all it means for her to be mixed. Everything else is you imposing your own racial views on other people, which is a bigoted thing to do.

Skullycakes, Colton, yuc7 and 4 others like this.
                                • Kcho

Kcho Scruffy Nerf-Herder

See and I agree with that, the problem is people don't ask for more diversity, they demand it and try to bring down anything that disagrees with them it even if it doesn't affect them like a mod for a single player game such this, even causing the OP to have to take down the mod.

Skullycakes and Beon like this.
                                  • Toumato

Toumato Starship Captain

It just a game peopels, calm down.

Anaxagoras likes this.
                                    • sunbean

sunbean Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry the thread blew up on you, OP. :/

vDominai and Anaxagoras like this.
                                      • Bucketlamp

Please check the OP of this thread, feeling proud?

• rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I'm freezing this thread until it can be properly discussed by the moderators. It will probably be unfrozen, but I'm not making any promises.
                                          Thanks to everyone who was keeping it civil.

Ladymegan likes this.
                                          Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.