RELEASED No Friendship Decay

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by hitachihex, Mar 6, 2016.

1. hitachihex

hitachihex Void-Bound Voyager

This seems to be a decently requested mod that no-one has put up yet, so I decided to throw a quick one together.

Install:
    Make sure you have SMAPI 0.37 from https://github.com/ClxS/SMAPI/releases/tag/0.37
    Extract the DLL from the archive and place it in the /Mods/ folder in the main game directory.

Usage:
    The mod automatically adjusts friendship values, depending on if you've talked to the NPC or not, there's no settings or anything you have to change besides placing the mod the in the /Mods/ folder.

Links:
    1.0 :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dteituy6oikveq4/NoFriendshipDecay.zip?dl=0
    1.1 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/06tzj8y09famuv2/NoFriendshipDecay_1.1.zip?dl=0

Notes:

The game currently decays friendship by a value of 2 everday, if you haven't talked to the NPC.
    SMAPI currently fires the DayOfMonthChanged event on load, so everyones friendship is increased by 2 each time you load a save file as well.

Also, if you create a new game with the mod loaded, before you've met all the NPC's, their friendship level will increase by the default of 2 too. There's not much I can do about the former and the latter, since the friendship dictionary that stores these values has all the NPCs already in it whether you've met them or not.

Edit:
    1.1 should possibly fix the issue with increasing the value when the game loads as well.

FINAL EDIT:
    Wanted to clarify why there are still two different versions in the OP.
    Version 1.0 gives you a net gain of friendship without you actually influencing the relationships of other NPCs naturally. 2 is gained the moment you load into a saved game (because of how SMAPI is designed, not much I can do about that bit) and 2 is gained automatically per day (to remove the natural decay of 2 if you haven't talked to them). If you have talked to them you will always get a net gain of 2 per day that the game wouldn't normally give you with Version 1.0

Version 1.1 prevents you from experiencing first days dialogue with an NPC, but does not give the erroneous 2 on game load, and 2 extra if you have talked to them.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • dimasep0

dimasep0 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you! Gonna test it now.

• Stealth103

Stealth103 Orbital Explorer

Yes!! I was looking into trying this out myself, but haven't dug into the resources too far yet. Didn't know about the decay when I started, and later I noticed I was losing hearts with a lot of people, hated that especially since there's no tracking for whether you've talked to someone or not. Thanks for this.

• Middeer

Middeer Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you so much for this! I was pretty bummed out when I realized relationship decay was still a thing. Time to go update my SMAPI. `w`;

• GosuGian

GosuGian Twenty-three is number one

Finally. Thanks!

• Luna_Amell

Luna_Amell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Which one increases? First or second?

• hitachihex

The first version was me not noticing I could just set their talked to flag to true on a new day (even though that comment is in the source.. lol), so it would incrementally increase their friendship by 2 after the new days decrement of 2, but it suffered from the issue of being able to increase it by 4 (up from 2 from talking to them at least once per day).

I'm still not sure what exactly will arise if you use the first one on a completely new save (I tested it on a new save for a few days, but didn't do _everything_ to see if it caused an issue, like for example, the introduction quest might be automatically completed for you)

The second version just sets the talked to flag to true, so when the game calls resetFriendshipsForNewDay() it won't try to decrease it if you haven't talked to them.

• Xerxius

Xerxius Seal Broken

Oh, god, yes. Thank you! ♥

• Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

• clickeddaisy

clickeddaisy Big Damn Hero

YOU'RE A GOD!

• Pongozila

Pongozila Void-Bound Voyager

First: Thanx this mod is great.
                        Second: does this apply to animals? if not could you make it apply to animals? :)

• Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Neat-o. This'll make later runs a lot less hectic, and instead of spamming gifts and suddenly making people love me, I can idly chat and have the hearts fill up over seasons.
                          Much better.
                          I was going to ask the friendship decay metric, too, thanks for giving me info on how it works naturally. Good to have in the back of my head.

• Lazward

Lazward Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Truly praise be for this !! I was just about to boot up my game when I thought 'I should check the forums to see if that mod I was interested in has become a thing yet', and viola !! Here it is ! This is gonna make playing a lot less stressful on me.

• Nypra

Nypra Poptop Tamer

Thank you so much! You are the real MVP!

• Khranos

Khranos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you! I was one of the ones requesting this, and it really will make this game so much less stressful.

DatYandereGirl likes this.
                                • DatYandereGirl

DatYandereGirl Big Damn Hero

Yeeeesss! Thanks!

• Ridesdragons

Ridesdragons Void-Bound Voyager

so you said with ver. 1.1 it simply sets the NPC's "talked to" flag to "true", but does this prevent you from talking to an NPC if they only have 1 thing to say that day (or reduce it from 2 to 1 thing said because you already "talked" to them once)? does this also prevent the +2 gained from talking to them?

• hitachihex

That's correct, that's why I have 2 versions up still.
                                      The only way to prevent the accrue of 2 _without_ talking to them AND the erroneous addition of 4 on new game load is to use the second version, otherwise the first one will let you experience their first daily dialogue (which is generally the same thing, randomized a bit during seasons and other things.)

• FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

That information should definitely be in the main post. I'd rather lose friendships with people I mistakenly don't see every day than not be able to talk to the ones I do.

• Ridesdragons

Ridesdragons Void-Bound Voyager

couldn't you make it so you don't get any points from talking to them? this way, every day if you don't talk to a person, 2 points are removed and then 2 points are added, resulting in a +-0, but if you do talk to them, you just get the +2 at the end of the day? this would allow you to talk to people every day and build up friendships without gifts while simultaneously getting rid of heart decay.