WIP Welcome to the Rice Fields Mod

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by SgtPineapple1st, Mar 4, 2016.

1. SgtPineapple1st

SgtPineapple1st Subatomic Cosmonaut

Welcome to the Rice Fields, fellow Farmers
    This mod will be a full farming expansion with new crops, tools, recipes (crafting and cooking), and, my favorite, an industrial sprinkler.
    3/7/16 At its current state, we are looking at 45 brand new crops in the game.
    (Read the Text File in the ZIP)
    Changes:
    V 0.2
    • Added cotton as well as basic framework code for multiple other crops ids; 794 795... and look at id 4242... it's causing me some issues.
    V 0.1
    • Added Rice Seeds and Rice Grains for harvest. Only available through modding API "player_additem 792/793"
    Yesterday I was playing with this mod just fine so I packed it into a zip for sharing. Today I updated my modding game files to 1.3 (not the most recent update), and it seems to crash while loading my save. If anyone has a fix, I'd love to hear it
    Rice_InGame.PNG RiceFields_CropStage2.PNG RiceFields_CropStage3.PNG RiceFields_CropStage4.PNG

Plans
    Short Run:
    • Adding Rice Seeds to the Shop
    • Rice Processing Machine- Turns 5 Rice Grains into 1 Cooking Rice
    • Rice Fermenting (Keg)- Rice Grains will be able to be placed in the Keg, after some time it will produce Sake
    • Irrigation Tools- Will be used to make irrigated plots. Rice will only be plantable in these irrigated plots. These irrigated plots will need to have an arm extending to one of the water sources (ponds) on the farm.

Long Run:

• More Crops (Cotton, Quinoa, Squash, etc. taking suggestions) and machines to process some of these crops (like cotton into cloth)
    • Recipes
    • Industrial Sprinkler

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc, feel free to post them on this forum post, or ask me at any time (whether I'm playing Stardew or not) at my stream: SgtPineapple1st on Twitch or join #stardew-modding at webchat.freenode.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    • Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Rice soon, fellow farmers?
      Looks fantastic, anything I should be looking of testing for when I get around to testing it out?
      Cropwise, sugarbeets (and a process to turn them into sugar) would be a good addition. Honestly the amount of crops we could add to Stardew are practically limitless, but instead of suggesting wholesale, I'll watch from the sidelines, haha.

• SgtPineapple1st

I will consider sugarbeets. As for things to watch for when using this mod, there's nothing. From what I've tested, the rice works fine. I'm planning to add Cotton next (sprites are done), but I will look into Sugarbeets.

Acrimonia likes this.
        • Acrimonia

Neat, I'm looking forward to trying it myself - I'll have some feedback for ya soon! (And cotton sounds great.)

SgtPineapple1st likes this.
          • TitanCrystal

TitanCrystal Void-Bound Voyager

Looks really nice and I like the idea with the sprinkler. :3

• SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, adding new crops is possible with just modifying the xnb? :eek:

• Ink Dragon

Ink Dragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was very much looking forward to something like this! Thank you so much for making this mod!
                Not sure if this helps but I have a list of crops, trees, and other things I was working on that I was considering adding once the modding API got further along. You are more then welcome to take it as suggestions.

Acrimonia likes this.
                • SgtPineapple1st

Yes. Descriptions, sell prices, etc. But it does not allow u to add them to the store.

SpitefulFox likes this.
                  • SgtPineapple1st

You're welcome. I'll take a look at your crop lost. One of the things I do plan to stress in the finished product of my mod is compatibility with other mods. Also, I too have to wait for the Storm API to release before I can add the meat of my mod.

Ink Dragon likes this.
                    • cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

The most impressive XNB only mod I've seen yet! Added to the mod list.

• Acrimonia

This is a great XNB mod, I'm really floored by the possibility - again, just using the XNB. Having aernoth staple crop in the game just feels right, and the possibility of more (and new or improved industries, like textiles!) to look forward to is absolutely great.
                        Would that I could give more then one like.

Also: Thought, but modding sunflowers to be usable in the oilpress might not be a bad idea.
                        It's a fairly mid-high range oil and extremely useful in reality, so...
                        Three harvested sunflowers, 400g baseprice.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
                        • SgtPineapple1st

Look for version 0.2 tomorrow!

Acrimonia likes this.
                          • SgtPineapple1st

If you want to work together, I'd be happy to.

Acrimonia likes this.
                            • Acrimonia

Yesssss, this is rapidly becoming my favourite mod on the site. I'll stay up watching the moon and getting drunk on rice wine to celebrate!
                              Ink Dragon, if you don't mind adding rye to that list of prospective crops, I would be quite grateful.
                              Lavender, there's one I didn't even know how much I wanted until seeing it...

• SgtPineapple1st

V 0.2 is released. This also marks the beginning of my usage of the API. Next update may also only add a few crops, but I will try to add new features ASAP.

Acrimonia likes this.
                                • WirlWind

WirlWind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Howdy, I put a mod suggestion for hemp with a few idea's on how to make it worth using and someone suggested I put forward the idea to you, since you've already done rice :)

So here goes:

Hemp

V Cheap seeds (Maybe the same cost as grass starters?)
                                  Fast growing (Only a few days, maybe 2-4 : Balance as needed, the point should be to have it as a filler crop between cash crops)
                                  Can be harvested for hemp fiber (spun into wool / fabric?)
                                  Maybe multi-seasonal?
                                  Drops leaves, can be put in a preserve bin to be turned into bio-fuel (maybe has 3 coal 'charges', or drops multiple fuel to offset the multiple days it takes to make) / or turned into feed for animals

VERY low profit, this plant is entirely utility based.

But...

After you grow it, it leaves a fertilizer (the quality bonus one) effect behind, making it amazing for rotating in between the cash crops and saving you a bit of fertilizer.

Would be nice to have more utility plants available :)

• SgtPineapple1st

1457401013272623974263.jpg
                                    I added a whole lot more and the grand total of new crops is 45.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
                                    • SgtPineapple1st

45 more crops... and that's just xnb... I still have to do all the api stuff, tool creation, mechanic creation, etc.
                                      I also have the urge to add a brewery machine to flavor ale, beer, wine, etc. to make them worth more. I'm afraid I might overwhelm myself as I tend to do constantly.

• Acrimonia

If no one's offered to help sprite for you when you've got the numbers Cucumbercrunched out, I'll chip in. Because who doesn't love sugar?
                                        My thoughts - divide tasks to help keep yourself motivated. I force myself to do the work I hate most first, so it's done, but everyone's got different tricks to their work.
                                        Crazy hype, though, not even gonna lie.
                                        Might not ever leave my farm, now.

(Glad to see you had the chance to show off your rye sense of humour but exercised restraint. Going against the grain like that is tough, you've got my respect.)

• SgtPineapple1st

All of my placeholder descriptions are bad puns. If you want to pitch in with making sprites, it would be a big help.