Mac OSX Wineskin Attempts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soshta, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Soshta

Soshta Intergalactic Tourist

Okay so I hit launch and nothing happened except in console it lists a bunch of fixme's. Should I keep going with the steps after steam/stardew install in haxd's guide then? A.k.a. installing wget?

Also I got it to install from downloads into the wine directory.

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

I had my savefile disappear, but it returned on a relaunch after a brief panic attack.

Soshta likes this.
      • alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

probably, i didn't start moving files until after i got the game installed and running after the install screen

Soshta likes this.
        • Soshta

Okay so when I call up winetricks, it gives me the error, I enter the
          export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH
          and run winetricks again but there are no install options listed. I closed it and now am stuck at what to do next.

I am in the weeds over here. I closed console because it hadn't done anything for 10+ minutes. It said sh, tr, and something else was running, but it was taking forever. Now I can't get anything to respond where I left off. Man, this is torture.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
          • alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

some of those installs/make commands take a long time. FYI you can cancel a running process in your terminal usually with either CTRL + C or Ctrl + D.

with winetricks, I coudln't get the ui to appear either, you can install them from the terminal with the commend `./winetricks name-of-the-dll-to-install`. that's how i did it.

it is very difficult to get all of these pieces working correctly if you are not a technical person, that's why it would be super beneficial if someone could package up a wrapper and ask for permission to share it (dunno if that's needed). the barrier to entry with a custom wine build like this is very high.

Soshta likes this.
            • Soshta

Using the way you suggested, I only installed Xact, XNA40, should I have done steam as well since I am not using steam? Or should I have downloaded the full list from Hakd's post? Otherwise, as it stands, that is where I am at.

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

no, i did not install steam. steam is only needed if you bought the game from there.

i think you may have gotten some steps out of order. have you already run the setup.exe from GOG?

from http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mac-osx-wineskin-attempts.106850/page-5#post-2799668, everything after 'I then went to the Stardew Valley directory' is not relevant to using the gog version.

if you installed xna40, dotnet etc with winetricks, then the next step is to run the GOG setup.exe. based on the code you pasted above, it will be something like:

Code:
                ~/dev/wine-source/wine ./path/to/stardew_valley_setup.exe
                if you do not know how to use paths in the terminal, then try:

Code:
                open ~/dev
                this will open a regular finder window and you can either and copy or drag and drop your exe installer from GOG into that folder. then to install it you can use the command:

Code:
                ~/dev/wine-source/wine ~/dev/setup_stardew_valley_2.1.0.3.exe
                setup_stardew_valley_2.1.0.3.exe must match the name of the file exactly, the version number could be different.

This will run the installer, and for me it raised some error about a windows package and gives the option to either try to repair or uninstall it. Neither option made a difference for me, but uninstalling it is faster. Then the game will install and a bunch of errors may popup, but you will still see a 'Launch game' button, and that should boot the game without any issues. THEN, you need to move the installed files around so that you can boot the game without running the installer next time.

hth, but honestly it may be worth waiting a day or two and see if someone can provide a nicer writeup since this thread is getting a bit messy. i'll try to help out with the GOG instructions if someone doesn't get to it first.

• Soshta

I think you're right. Yes, I ran the set up. It did what you said. Now I have the Mscoree.dll. Error when I hit launch. Hopefully someone can get a wrapper out there and a video/pic guide. Thanks again for all your help! I feel like all that stuff I added via console was a waste, and I might be better with a reformat anyway once this is all solved and made easy.

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

if it makes you feel better even when it works there are issues: i just had to relaunch it a half dozen times before it found my saved game :/

• DukeOfRiven

It probably has something to do with the ConcernedApe INEXPLICABLY storing saved games in a lackadaisical location like the ephemeral, occasionally roving %appdata%. I don't know why, say, My Documents wasn't good enough for him, or even - shocking thought - inside the Stardew Valley folder.

I am loving this game, and every distant harvest moon memory is tumbling out - but I do not grasp why he has saved games there. Cannot grok it.

• Soshta

I'm just excited to finally play! I hope it's sooner rather than later, I realize most people are asleep at this hour.

I am so jealous xD

• DukeOfRiven

Somebody said they were willing to do a step-by-step photo version, I hope they still come through on that. Whose step-by-step are you following, anyways? Haxd or Jeregrines? Or have your own issues left those two long behind? (I see neither of them used the GOG version...)

• Soshta

I used Haxd's version. I just subbed in the GOGsetup.exe for the steam installer. Also noted that someone page 6(I think) said all that was needed was Xact, Xna40, and Steam. I left off steam. SO maybe that's where it all went wrong. I should have installed every single .dll on that list instead of just the two. It's hard to find out where to even pick up from here. Maybe it's better to wait since I have no clue how to reverse or undo what I've done in terminal so far.

• Minx0623

Minx0623 Space Hobo

Ive done everything in jeregrinds's guide so far but it's been a long day and everything i know about wine I've learned in the last 2 hours. Can anyone explain what it means to "change my directory into the wine source"?

• Damonkala

Damonkala Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I've tried using Haxd's guide, but for the GoG version, several times now, but I keep getting the "No suitable graphics card found", which I thought was an error dealt with long ago.

Can anybody please tell me how to do a complete wine restart? Every time I try to retry the steps I have the feeling that I have something left over that's getting in the way.

• MonokelPinguin

MonokelPinguin Space Spelunker

If you have the GOG version, on Linux I had the same problem with the System IOException: Z:/...../FarmerSounds not found (I don't remember the exact error message, but it was something like that).
                                  To fix that, change directory to where the Stardew exe is (drive_c/GOG Games/something). Basically you take everything from the path, that you give to wine to launch Stardew except the exe name and execute
                                  Code:
                                  cd <the mentioned path>
                                  . (Replace <the mentioned path> with the path of the stardew folder). Then you launch Stardew the usual way, just that the path to the exe is now only the exe name.

This should be no problem, if you edited your path variable as suggested in the guide, but make sure, that you will execute the right wine version! If you didnt change PATH you will get the same gpu error as before, because it uses the installed wine version, not the one, you compiled yourself!

alphahouse likes this.
                                  • MonokelPinguin

MonokelPinguin Space Spelunker

He wants you to execute
                                    Code:
                                    cd <path to src>
                                    , where <path to src> is the path to directory, where you downloaded the wine src to.

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

ah you definitely need the dotnet stuff!

• Sarc

Sarc Intergalactic Tourist

Does anyone have a guide or step by step tutorial on how to do this for someone who has no idea what you are saying when you start talking about code and has no experience with wine or anything like it.

I'm dumb. I will give you my life if theres a way for me to run this on my mac.

• Soshta

Went back to install more winetricks (dot net). 20sp installed fine, but 40 went full derp. It still said installed despite the error box it threw up. Ah well. I changed the directory back to SD and wine booted the game exe and got essentially similar errors.