What real rewards do I get playing hardcore?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by roman.stanash, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. roman.stanash

roman.stanash Subatomic Cosmonaut

Unless I want to make the game harder there is no real reward in playing hardcore mode.

2. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

People tend to pick higher difficulties because they see the challenge itself as the reward rather than some shiny thing that can only be obtained in the difficulty.

3. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

^ This

Although an achievement recognizing awesomeness would be cool. Just like one of those steam achievements or something. Nothing major

4. julamad

julamad Void-Bound Voyager

I think at least they should put better items in chests, it isn't just a higher dificulty, it's perma death, it should have something worth the feeling of losing your character because you didnĀ“t noticed the spikes below you, or made a bad jump and fell in lava...

5. Wisty

Wisty Subatomic Cosmonaut

I suppose a reward of some kind would be nice, but I think the choice of difficulty comes down to what kind of game experience you are looking for. I assume as a hardcore player, you would be interested in things like player level and progression through combat, but unfortunately there is no player level in the game, and increasing in tiers through dungeon looting would be difficult. Maybe in future updates they can change the loot tables on hardcore mode to include more armor and weapons rather than things like seeds and furniture.

julamad likes this.
  6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

- Kinda the point of a difficulty setting.

But i know that some games do have rewards for higher difficulty (like a better % to find rare loot, or the only way to find some realy rare loot) and i guess it would be kinda nice if starbound hade something of the sort.

7. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

I disagree. There is really no point to playing hardcore unless you REALLY like to lose everything. Personally, I HATE it when the game glitches and spacebar no longer works to jump, for instance. It would be kinda silly to put otherwise unobtainable rewards in a difficulty of a game which can very often be prone to these glitches.

8. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

To be perfectly blunt, the only need for an increase in rewards is when the difficulty itself requires them by raising enemy stats to the point that standard equipment just can't handle it, or the environment itself becomes more hazardous. None of this is the case in hardcore as the only increase in difficulty is a harsh punishment for a single mistake. The only "need" for better rewards in this case is for self-gratification.

9. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Bragging rights, you get the right to brag on the forum for playing hardcore mode

10. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

The worst is if you have a lot of pixels on you and that happens, imagining how bad it would be if you were at rubium tier and died because of some BS? I would probably jump out a window.

11. WingedSpear

WingedSpear Big Damn Hero

Hmm, but the game is not forcing you to play Hardcore, i like playing Hardcore, the reason is, i like the tension, and how survival games feel when you know that you will lose your character if you die, and i usually get attached to my characters and i dont want them to die, so i do my best and play as smart as possible in order to stay a live, that is fun to me.

Those difficultys are for the same kind of ppl that enjoy the hard combat and never complain about Mobs being too strong, because if you beat something that most players cant defeat, you feel that as a real acchievement, if you beat something everyone have defeated before, you havent done anything. The same goes for Hardcore, if you progress, or end the Story content in hardcore mode, you feel really good and you can actually post it, but if you finish the game in normal mode, again, you havent done anything special, since to be honest, starbound has been nerfed so many times that everything is easy to kill so everyone can finish the game in no time.

The MechE likes this.
  12. Callak

Callak Void-Bound Voyager

I just wish there was a way to force everyone that joins a server to play at a particular level. It's annoying to play cooperative with people that have advantages that allow them to be reckless and not suffer the same penalties as you do.