It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

There was Fallout: Tactics quite a while back, which had more of a strategy focus (while still being largely squad-based). But it never really reached the popularity of the main series. I've got a copy of it, but it doesn't work.

2. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

aww. thats a pity! it probably was just too ahead of its time! I would totally go for a FO RTS, I can see how the different factions would play out quite nicely, if it was FO4 themed... oh well, still FO4 is a lot of fun to watch

3. Jonesy

Yeah, it is a shame. Especially when Tactics 2 was planned to be set in Florida, which might have turned out really interesting. Sadly, that never saw the light of day.

But I think there could be room for an RTS spinoff. Build a settlement, place defenses, command units, etc. Maybe a battle system where you directly control squads as they go fighting and scavenging.

Chrillzilla likes this.
  4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... like Divinity Dragon Commander! cept WAY less uhh... controvertial! or Kessen 3 in which you would command units, and the hero in them to battle other units on the map, I could see that happening in an FO setting with Vault dwellers/settlers and Key characters in the world of FO

5. Jonesy

So, I was playing Fallout 4 today, and I realized just how much I love one particular settlement. So, I've thought up a question for anyone who does play Fallout 4; What is your favorite 'obscure' settlement location? By which I mean one that's not one of the big, popular ones (like Sanctuary or The Castle).

Mine is Murkwater Construction Site (link to wiki), and in many ways it's really nothing special. It's waaay down south in the middle of the swamp, giving off a distinct Point Lookout vibe. Not much there initially; a bombed-out house and the frame of another, with very little room or resources or usable land. It's home to a mirelurk queen, which respawns even after the place has been settled. Nearby enemies include mirelurks, yao guais and a sentry bot.

But I just love the fact that you're in the middle of this dark and hostile swamp, so you need to carve out a pocket of civilization. I immediately set up a supply line linked to my other settlements, and built a small-to-moderately sized raised building to house some beds, a cooking station, a first aid station , a medium generator (linked directly to an industrial water purifier outside) and a table with some chairs. In the bombed house I put an artillery piece and large generator, which I linked to some heavy laser turrets on the building roof to ward off the repawning mirelurk queen. There are three settlers, assigned to the crops, artillery and first aid station. Add to that a fence surrounding the place, some lights (both inside and outside) and plenty of machine gun turrets, and I've got a genuine safehouse in the middle of nowhere.

Benkinz99 and Corraidhín like this.
  6. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Has anyone Encountered Professor Goodfeels? That robot immediately reminded me of this dude.
    upload_2016-2-4_13-15-56.png

Jonesy likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Goodfeels has disappeared on my character. :<

8. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

Really? Shame. I followed him around for like 20 minutes listening to him talk. Best waste of time ever.

9. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Void-Bound Voyager

Whoa man.

10. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Hey, has anybody else found a Carlisle Typewriter yet? I found one, and I've got it sitting in my house. I'm kind of curious how many junk items have a "preserved" or "clean" counterpart.

Jonesy likes this.
  11. Jonesy

Before I forget, Bethesda has announced three DLCs on the way!

https://bethesda.net/en/news-articl...land-workshop-far-harbor-and-more_76908/76908

Yesterday, I played for half an hour and found a 'fumigous blowtorch' for the first time. I think I found a fair few 'journalist pens' in the Institute, before the Minutemen sent me. Besides that, most of the variants I found were more uncommon than rare.

12. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Hey everybody, if you're planning on getting these DLCs, get the season pass. It's going to double in price soon too, so get it while it's cheap!

Fumigous Blowtorches are pretty great for oil. They're like the economy wonderglue of blowtorches. I haven't seen a journalist pen yet though! But I have also found sealed wonderglue, preserved cigarette packages, clean coffee mugs / drinking glasses / plates, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

13. Jonesy

I got an objective to kill a raider called the Bruiser, on behalf of the Railroad. I go to Kendall Hospital, and hear gunfire deeper into the dungeon. I lob a grenade up at a lone raider, and almost immediately get a notification saying that the Bruiser is dead. I don't know if I killed him, or if it was the deathclaw deeper into the facility. Probably the latter, but it's still nice that it didn't take long.

Edit: Got another Railroad quest to kill another raider in the same place, and said raider also died before I reached them. I can confirm that both raiders died at the claws of the resident deathclaw (a legendary, no less), among with at least a couple of unnamed mooks.

Yeah, I'm going to try and pick up the season pass on the weekend. I'm not too excited about the workshop one, but the robot one seems OK. But Deep Harbour is the one I'm hyped for. I'm currently back into the game so I can get some more perks in rad / damage resistance.

Strange that you've found the fumigous blowtorch repeatedly but never the journalist pen, while I had the opposite. The RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh away, I guess.

14. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I'm really excited for the robot one, it looks like we might be able to customize any robot at all. Assaultron bodyguards! Or maybe we could give a Sentrybot the AI and voice of a Mister Handy, that'd be interesting. Also, I've heard speculation that the workshop DLC might allow us to use Fusion Cores to power settlements.

Jonesy likes this.
  15. Jonesy

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having my own sentrybot. Should come in handy in some of those southern areas, where the enemies are tough.

But why would we need fusion cores to power settlements? We've already got generators that work just fine.

16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hell... those add ons actually look cool, quite a far cry from what Beth created with... ehem... Hearthfire, Dg and DB... if I was a modder, I would so be getting started on the workshop and robobrain aspects of FO4

Jonesy likes this.
  17. Jonesy

I thought Dragonborn was pretty good. Closest thing Skyrim got to Shivering Isles (i.e. self-contained area with a completely new style and its own questlines). I hope Far Harbor goes that route.

Corraidhín likes this.
  18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

It was good, but it annoyed me after a while with the whole book this, pillar that... but if Far Harbor is as massive and badass as they claim, hell! ill jump in the FO world! and join the Typewriter and Glue sect of scavengers

Jonesy likes this.
  19. Jonesy

I kinda liked the books, largely because you could get some very useful active and passive abilities at the end. Never cared much for the pillars, though.

20. hatakesans

hatakesans Subatomic Cosmonaut

A bit of an off topic question but has anyone managed to get a pie from the Port a Diner? It is possible but requires a lot of luck

[​IMG]

Chrillzilla and Jonesy like this.