Mob Randomly Generated Monster; Name and Description Generation

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Campaigner, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Right now, randomly generated monsters are named "Unknown", and are described as "Some indescribable horror" (sic). My suggestion is that each monster part offer a random name piece. Something like this;

- Biped Bodies, Quadruped Bodies, Flying Heads, and Fish Tail provide the tile.
    - Heads and Flying Wings provide the first half of the name
    - Biped Arms, Quadruped Legs, Flying Bodies, and Fish Fins provide the second half of the name

For the description, something randomly picked from three pools; Food preference, What it does, Silly one-liner. Things like;

"A carnivorous hunter that...", "An herbivorous pack animal that...", "An omnivorous creature who...", "This beast..."
    "...hunts at specific times of year.", "...seeks shelter in odd places.", "...collects the skulls of its prey."
    "It is actually a living plant.", "This beast hates humans with a passion.", "It evolved specifically to be cooked in holiday meals."

Or, just say it's a native of the planet you caught it on.
    "Native creature from Beta Upsilon Tau Tau IIa"

Some examples;
    [​IMG]
    (Ignore how they have the same colors, that's purely coincidence)

Something like this would make random monsters a bit more lovable.

Also, make the frame bigger, or shrink the text, for pet description room. There's barely any room for decent descriptions!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

This would add a lot more to the game! This is an excellent idea! I wholeheartedly support the addition of random gen monster names and descriptions!

3. FlyingGekko

FlyingGekko Orbital Explorer

I like this idea a lot! With the random pools, even the fans could give suggestions and the developers can use those. It would save them some time, hopefully, and the fans will also feel more connected to the game itself.
    Imagine seeing a creature and it has something in it's description that you suggested - that would UP the coolness factor! :D

4. creca

creca Big Damn Hero

this idea gets my thumbs up

5. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I like this! Might make the game feel more alive.

6. Zenpai

Zenpai Space Hobo

I think we can all agree that this is mandatory to the next build, it would give the game more structure, and my OCD doesn't appreciate the fact that half my Pet's names are "Pet"

7. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Considering "pokèdex like feature" is among what is being added next content patch, I'm pretty sure it's going to be in there.

8. foilfoli

foilfoli Yeah, You!

YES. GOOD. WE NEED THIS. WE NEED TO MAKE RANDOM MONSTERS MEANINGFUL AGAIN!