Dev Blog 9th February - Under the Sea

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Original Post

---

Hey everyone!

Last week I was able to show off the Hylotl villages that Necotho had been working on, and they were awesome and beautiful but a few people were like, "Where are the underwater cities?!" which was totally understandable because I mean... underwater cities, right? Anyway, here's a tiny bit of an underwater Hylotl city in action! You can see a few more screenshots here.

[​IMG]

Tccoxon has been traversing the stars with his ship crew. Sometimes they'll examine objects they see in the world and let you know what they think of them! For some reason, the Glitch have strong feelings about paper lanterns.

[​IMG]

I'm happy about this little feature, because we've almost finished going over all of the item and object descriptions in the game! Each object you can place in the world has seven different descriptions (one for each playable race). You can learn quite a lot about the Starbound universe just by inspecting objects with the magnifying glass, and now your companions may give you their perspectives once in a while, too.

Novakids are made of star-stuff (even more-so than the rest of us), so it's always made sense that they should glow - even if only a little! And now they do, and all is right with the world.

[​IMG]

That's all for today. 'Til next time!

<3

2. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

Sweet. I love the inspect command I really wish more games would let you use something like it.

Spritley Jack, Alkanthe and Twin9aa like this.
  3. Quiqksilver

Quiqksilver Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So will all the other races get passive abilities too? Seems unfair they get to start with guns AND get a glowing effect.

4. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

I like the fact that Novakids glow or will glow in stable.
    I can wait to find the Hylotl Cities on ocean planets, cause tbh I thought ocean planets where abit boring to explore.

Spritley Jack and Alkanthe like this.
  5. InfoPunkie

InfoPunkie Void-Bound Voyager

I'm in agreement, can we bring back the passives for the other races like we used to have such as the Hylotl being able to breath under water please? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

ALL ABOARD THE GLOW TRAIN, CHOO CHOO :DD

Xenix-Hero likes this.
  7. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

I was just telling my sister that novakids should glow!

And would you look at that, all the people whining about the crew should have just waited for the next few updates....like I said.

Good job, team!

Alkanthe likes this.
  8. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I played on the nightly last night and saw the Novakid glow. It's so good.

InfoPunkie likes this.
  9. Kingmarshy

Kingmarshy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wait, so passive race attributes are finally happening?

Really cool either way!

10. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

So cool to see the crew will now talk about items they see. On the other hand being a Floran not looking forward to frogmen citiesss.

11. Mikhaos

Mikhaos Pangalactic Porcupine

Glowing Novakids. Thanks guys. OwO

InfoPunkie likes this.
  12. InfoPunkie

-Sorry, who is complaining and where?-

Oh, apparently my reading comprehension is rubbish today. Heh.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  13. DaedricShadow

DaedricShadow Pangalactic Porcupine

I think ADaks is referring to the people complaining about Starbound not being complete or not having updates quickly enough, you know, those kinds of very annoying and very impatient people. I've seen the same arguments over and over again on Facebook, Reddit and very occasionally even here, and most of the time they have no idea about the developer blog and don't care to play the game in its current state if they want to complain about its current state (which they often do).

14. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice to see passive abilities, but I like how they don't show the "doors" to the underwater cities. Curious if every home comes standard with an airlock. :p

Jareix Cryvix and InfoPunkie like this.
  15. InfoPunkie

Thank you for clearing that up, even though I realised a second before you posted what ADaks meant. People who complain pointlessly are annoying, I love Starbound and love these updates, let 'em come slowly but surely to make sure that they're done correctly and well.

16. Lloyd Larsen

Lloyd Larsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The underwater cities looks really lively ! Can't wait to go here.

I agree, it's always made sense for Hylotl to breath underwater (particulary when the background itself say so), or Glitch to not breath at all, but what the heck... since Novakid come from the community it always seemed unbalanced compared to other races, resulting in contradiction like the fact they're the only race who have a specific tech tree. I hope you'll take some time to balance the races !

17. liack

liack Subatomic Cosmonaut

In the gallery, the library is impressive!
    Otherwise, curious to see if other races will have some passives as well...otherwise, all aboard the nova train!

18. Hatedchild

Hatedchild Void-Bound Voyager

Finally, the best kind of villages <3
    Thanks devs c; I've been waiting for Hylotl Arcades since they were teased some time ago <3 I can die happy now.

19. BlackGryphon

BlackGryphon Void-Bound Voyager

God I can't wait to be not computerless. I miss this game!!!

Twin9aa and Captain Rage like this.
  20. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't know if this has been answered before, but are novakid settlements and assets going to end up in the game eventually?