Dev Blog 5th February - The Taming of the Crew

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Original Post

Happy Friday!

Following up on Tuesday's post about ship crews, I wanted to go into a little bit more detail!

When an NPC asks to join your crew, they'll have a particular role in mind for themselves - they may be a medic, or an engineer. Once they're aboard, they'll have a passive effect on you and your ship. A medic will heal you, a biologist will give you status effects, and an engineer can increase your fuel efficiency.

You can take crew members with you to explore planets or complete missions, but you won't get their passive status effect while they're in your party. When a crew member dies, they respawn on your ship. Look at how happy Tccoxon's crew is! It's almost as if they don't realize how much he hates NPCs. :(

[​IMG]

If you decide you don't like someone in your crew, you can give 'em the boot! Goodbye Wesley, you slacker.

[​IMG]

And hey, look! We're implementing loads of new dungeons! Hylotl villages are here and they are so pretty.

[​IMG]

That's all for this week. See you on Monday, folks! <3

2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Still no way to designate equipment and manage inventories for them yet, but I love seeing how much progress is being made! And we finally have Hylotl villages?! AWESOME!

3. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I don't like the idea of respawning them on the ship as it makes them seem disposable. Meatshields for say, the lunar outpost while you stay back and snipe things with a ranged weapon. Maybe set up "reputation" --- people hear about you letting your workers die and don't want to work for you. Or if they like you, they enter the que for being hired should a spot open up.

4. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

I was afraid of this. Now we cannot even have proper Red Shirts. :nope:

5. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woo! HYLOTL Villages HAVE Arrived!

Also, can we get a hardmode sorta thing for crew so they perma die?

KFCdevil84, Krabbe, Twin9aa and 3 others like this.
  6. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

So wait.... why exactly do I need a medic? That just seems really unclear on the benefit of having a mobile bed running around my ship? I mean if you think about it 10 seconds in bed heals plenty, most players have a healing spa full of healing water somewhere after they beat the first boss or two, etc. Just seems baffling.

Really hoping to see inventory management as a job.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

@mollygos Is that the right video? That looks like an earlier demonstration of the colony system that existed.

I'm kinda glad they respawn on the ship instead of backtrack all the way back to get them. Lore wise There IS a cloning machine up in our ship, and gameplay wise, mistakes with npcs happen.

The protectorate gear looks pretty good, very "x-com"y, even though Lintton wouldn't be caught dead in it.

Twin9aa, jakecool19 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

oooo.... that is a good expanding explanation of crew. Good to see where you deal with them on the extra tab within the AI console.

Hylotl villages... :nuruflirt:

Another thing to investigate when comes around. Will have to see out those tiles, and stuff. Visiting their culture and see what they have to say. Can't say I would be completely welcome, but at least I can show them another side of the leaf. :nurutease:

Twin9aa and jakecool19 like this.
  9. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Sort of a slow week, but some nice additions. I won't use the followers most likely since all I need is a cool pet at my side, but it's still a nice addition for those seeking a bit more life.

Twin9aa and AztecRock97 like this.
  10. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Should get medic's buff onworld too. : u hoping to see more customization but so far it's pretty neat. Assignable jobs would be great, maybe make it so some people are more proficient in certain areas or may even get unhappy with a assigned job. Ooo maybe make it so on survival and hardcore they dooo actually die but if a medic is in your crew there's a chance of saving them depending on what tier the medic is! Good medic could save you (in hardcore) or your crew, but only a % depending on what tier the medic is.

Krabbe likes this.
  11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

But... those are above ground! What happened to underwater Hylotl villages?

The point of that video was to show Tomc's hatred for NPCs, not to show off any new features.

To quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
    WoogaBooga, Kelthazan and Leatherneck like this.
  12. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

This is shaping up nicely.

I forgot to follow up on my question from the previous news. As I understand, currently the only way to get crew members is to make settlements yourself. That's fine, but won't pre-generated villages and settlements offer anything as well?

I think they should offer basic quests/npcs as well. Pre-gen settlements already offer weaker items for sale, with the best gear being obtainable through looting/crafting. Building settlements should then provide better quests/shops/crew members than your average pre-gen variant (perhaps add hirelings on the local tavern/mess hall/cantina).

13. ratkintheoverestimated

ratkintheoverestimated Phantasmal Quasar

So now I'll be able to go SHUT UP WESLEY!!

14. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Still not clue (even an aproximation) of how much time will it take for the new update be released? A month? Three months? Half a year?
    Hope not that much :)

15. Double S

Double S Pangalactic Porcupine

Now all we need is a rename NPC feature. I want all of my crew to be called "Steve"

Murplesman likes this.
  16. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We're not far removed from a post outlining the JSON for customizing difficulties. I could see respawning crew as a mechanic made optional through that system - like hunger and permadeath. I'd rather they not be permanently destroyed. It just gives more wiggle room for all the connected reward systems.

A medic might reduce the cool down for a crew member to resume activity (respawn) after dying. That's the best I can come up with for an on-ship purpose that doesn't require removing existing answers or adding new questions whole-cloth. There are some assets for healing and buffing bombs so there's potential for these professions to differentiate themselves outside of passive logistics buffs.

Just yesterday noticed that the protectorate emblem is a matter manipulator.

n1t3n likes this.
  17. HellArcher

HellArcher Void-Bound Voyager

Traditional villages are above ground, while cyberpunk skyscrapers are underwater (they are already in the nightly, both surface villages[?] and underwater cities).

deliriousbiznasty and n1t3n like this.
  18. Davidius

Davidius Void-Bound Voyager

Please tell me I can assign some of them to tend my pet untill im away.

Milhafre and AztecRock97 like this.
  19. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

I have two questions that come to mind here:

1) Can we alter the crew uniform so that way we can sort of define our ship?

2) Can we get/craft stations that we can place down so that we can assign where in the ship each crew member goes?

20. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I never liked Red Shirts much either. "Oh, there's a problem? Throw disposable people at it!" -- maybe you could "clone" redshirts whose ability was to tank for a short time...