Modding Help Ship background removal?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BelikrDscale, Jan 14, 2016.

1. BelikrDscale

BelikrDscale Subatomic Cosmonaut

it's just something that bothers me about the default ships those tiny windows make it feel cramped. so I've been trying to make a mod to disable the background behind the panels in the ships and make the ship modifiable, but I'm not having much luck with it. would appreciate any help if i could get some. I rather like some of the default ships and would rather not have to replace them with a custom one if possible.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

A simple sprite edit to remove the background texture would be all that is necessary. Load it up in an image editor, cut out the background, and there you go.

3. BelikrDscale

I did that and it still loaded the background i was trying to remove.

4. lazarus78

What exactly did you do?

5. BelikrDscale

opened the ship sprites with GIMP removed the background from both avian1 and avian1lit and made a new character to see if it worked after changing the codes to match the new .png file names and placing it in as a mod. do i need to put code in to overwrite the default asset ships? if so i would appreciate help with that I'm no good at coding x.=.x

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. lazarus78

You must have done something more.

Can you pack up what you made for testing?

7. BelikrDscale

Should i put it in a .rar? it's not completed yet i just got the first three done

8. lazarus78

Yeah thats fine, I can open that. Its ok if its not complete, just something to test with.

9. BelikrDscale

10. lazarus78

Worked just fine for me.

Is this part of an existing mod or stand-alone? If so you need a *.modinfo file in the root folder of the mod.

Basically just a file called MyMod.modinfo and with this inside it.
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "MyMod",
      "path" : ".",
      "includes" : []
    }

Also you dont need to include the *.structure files or the block map images. The vanilla ones will be used.

11. BelikrDscale

ok thank you, it is a standalone one I'm eventually gonna do all the race ships for those like me who feel the small windows in the default ships make it feel cramped. and what does the "path" and "includes" command mean? I'm still new to this :/

12. lazarus78

Uhh... I don't think that line is even necessary anymore, but meh, just include that and leave it. :rofl: (It was necessary when I started modding, so Ive kept it)

13. BelikrDscale

thank you very much for the help ^.=.^ I appreciate it

lazarus78 likes this.