1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Steam to GoG

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Thaecc, Jan 28, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaecc

Thaecc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Greetings,

Is there any way to transfer my Starbound from Steam account to GoG account? I'm not so fond about Steam and bought Starbound there only because there was no other choice. As for now I would be rather use GoG for this game.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You can't. You need Steam to download the base game and any future updates. However, the game is not dependant on Steam beyond that so you can, after installing the game, just forget Steam even exists and play Starbound by launching it from ~C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound (or similar).

Here is me playing Starbound without Steam realizing it:

[​IMG]

Also... what the hell is GoG and why are there two posts about people using it over Steam? Seriously. Steam is the better platform.

3. Thaecc

I know that I can run it without Steam, still I need to run Steam client to check and download updates. GoG has more reliable and lightweighted client, with no client dependency on any game downloaded through it (not just Starbound), also it gives you opportunity to check updates and download them via web, without any damned clients. And GoG (as opposed to Steam) keeps even old games updated, so they can run even on new PCs (for example try to run steam-bought version of Knights of the Old Republic on Windows 8.1/10, it won't happen, but GoG version is OK. Same goes for many many other games). I've already transfered most of my most loved games to it. And I would love to get it on GoG and delete it on Steam.
    It's not a question of money or running the game without client. It's a matter of convenience, so I won't need to run several different clients to keep all my games up to date.
    And Steam is better only if you compare it to such losers as Origin, Rockstar Club, Uplay or Arc. But not in comparison to GoG. Why else would Chucklefish push Starbound to GoG right now, if it weren't good platform? As far as I understand they didn't do it earlier only because GoG didn't support Early Access games, but now it does and you can get Starbound there.

4. Mackinz

Actually, I did try to run KOTOR on Windows 8.1 through Steam and I believe it was working just fine.

In addition, unless you run the Nightly version of Starbound, Starbound does not update all that often. The next major update is still approximately two months away. You don't have to run Steam at other times, so I do not see why it is an issue.

5. Thaecc

Still KotOR will require Steam to be running. As for biulds - yes. Sometimes I like to run nightly builds. So I would rather download it without Steam.

6. Mackinz

[​IMG]

Unless you are running my old Vista which could not run multiple programs at once, having Steam run in the background while you play a game is about as much of an issue as Saitama's pain when he fought Boros.

Okay. So turn on Steam, opt into the Nightly beta, let it download the latest Nightly, then exit Steam. For me, this would take around five minutes if I cared about DRM nearly as much as you seem to.

7. Thaecc

Hey guy, read my first post. I'm talking that it would be nice to have the way for those, who've bought Starbound long time ago on a platform that they don't like, to transfer it to the platform they like. You're not answering, you're not discussing, you're just advertising Valve's Steam. I used Steam since Orange Box was released and I don't like it a bit (I quite liked it several years ago).
    If developers will say, that there is no way to transfer my Starbound from platform I don't like, to the platfrom they just got onto, I will gladly buy Starbound once more.

P.S.: I understand, that you are Internet-warrior, or idk how you youngsters call yourselves now, and that you just love arguing over Net, but your posts here just don't make any sense.

8. Mackinz

I am not advertising Steam. I am just trying to emphasize that there are ways to minimize your use of Steam for Starbound if you are opposed to using it. I do not believe that Chucklefish has plans to allow users to 'connect' their installations if they bought the game through Steam originally and have since switched to a less well-known platform like GoG.

9. Thaecc

If that is so - it's fine. I just need to know it for sure. So I won't buy it again and then find out that I could transfer it.

10. Mackinz

Actually, as I was typing this, mollygos posted in the other GoG thread.

11. Thaecc

Thank for the information. I guess it's buying time xD Yay

12. TZODnmr2K5

TZODnmr2K5 Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, I detest steam, and their Early Access system, and were this game only on steam I would've passed it by, but seeing as it's on gog...Insta-buy!

If you're wondering what the
    difference is, then gog has a page telling you more about their system...Plus I mostly support indies via gog/humble, and will bypass steam if I can help it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.