1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG Version ?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skysect, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skysect

Skysect Void-Bound Voyager

Now I saw GOG version introduced , I never wanted Steam key when I bought it from here , now could we replace our keys with GOG key ? Because I always prefer DRM-free version . Thanks .

It seems I opened this thread to wrong section , http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/gog-version.105617/ if some moderator lock it it will be nice .

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

As I said in your other thread, Starbound IS DRM free. Steam is used solely as a distribution platform, but the game is not dependent on Steam beyond that. You can most assuredly launch the game, after the initial installation, without Steam ever again by navigating to the game files and finding the game launcher executables. Here is me playing Starbound without Steam realizing I am, because I launched the game manually instead of through Steam:

[​IMG]

For me, the game files are located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound though it may be different for you. There are five folders within (win32, win64, osx, linux32, linux64) that contain the necessary executables, so choose the folder for your OS (mine is win32), open it, and launch the game.

3. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

I imagine we'll be able to get DRM free versions from our reward tiers at some point but I figured that meh.....why wait.....Chucklefish absolutely deserve another $10 from me for all the amazing work they did. When I put in my initial pledge of $75 I was going to do $100 with $25 thank you tip but at the time I had a bunch of questions I didn't know the answer to(two of which being about GOG) so I just did the $75 tier with the full intention of buying another copy when/if they released on GOG. I just did that about 10 minutes ago now and very happy about it. RIP Steam......will not be missed. I don't do business with Steam and never spent one cent there.....only used for a couple of Early Access games I pledged for elsewhere that were also as DRM free as possible on Steam. Starbound was my last remaining link to Steam and now that is done. I will never again touch Steam in any way in my life unless they go 100% DRM free and remove all DRM from all of their existing library.

4. Mackinz

Starbound IS DRM free. Right now. It just uses Steam as a distribution platform. I guarantee that of you install Starbound and uninstall Steam, Starbound will still work because it is DRM free and always has been. You could probably launch it from a USB drive on a school or work computer. >.>

5. DarthTrethon

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know all that and if you read my post you'll notice I mention that myself later on. It's as DRM free as you can get on Steam but their EULA as always remains shady at best and you need to keep the Steam trash installed if you want future patches and so on.....well no more and never again.

6. Mackinz

Regardless of however much ypu dislike the Sream EULA, Starbound IS DRM free. Period. The only way it could have less DRM is if it somehow ran without any computer. So what if you have to connect to Steam once in a blue moon to update the game? As long as you keep tabs on the forum/dev, you'll only have to use Steam for as long as it takes to update the game.

7. DarthTrethon

Also looking forward to buying this on PS4 when it releases there which should fulfill my original intent of giving $100 to Starbound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.