Modding Discussion Extremely Large Doors & Airlocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Leithal--Weapon, Jan 25, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeah, a while ago actually.

2. Leithal--Weapon

Leithal--Weapon Poptop Tamer

And it seems though that with me whether I have background blocks or not while below the ocean floor water comes flooding inside. Only near the top of the ocean does it seem not to flood in and only if I remove blocks that are right where I want the water to stop! But floods in if I have background blocks!

3. Leithal--Weapon

Well the submarine fits through 16 blocks perfectly(horizontally) I am unsure if the door parts would block the sub or not if it was exact. The entrance is 26 blocks horizontal for a horizontal door a vertical one this size would also be awesome. The Sub though is exactly 24 blocks wide so again not sure if the door sides will get in the way when retracted. So I do not know maybe you have to make them each a bit larger than what I said if the doors when retracted get in the way.The style I would love U.S.C.M. style or Apex. My base is pretty much made of titanium tiles and concrete. Anyway I am super excited so if this doesn't make sense just let me know. Thank you for offering to do this that rocks. I really didn't expect anything for a while but I did notice a lot of people have viewed the forum!

4. Leithal--Weapon

A moderator locked the new forum so I posted my reply in the old one! ;P Super thanks again!

5. lazarus78

Ill spend some time on it later today. Finishing up some other projects right now.

6. Leithal--Weapon

Take as long as you need!

7. lazarus78

Here is a rough draft.

http://i.imgur.com/olOeFLI.png

I decided to just go with an even 32 blocks for the added wiggle room, but that can easily be adjusted if needed.

One issue with such large doors. The game only defines 3 frames for the animation, so the doors seem to open very quickly.

8. Leithal--Weapon

That is Kick awesome the door will do Horizontal also when finished yes? Kinda sucks that 3 frames is the allowance but beggars can't be choosers right especially when it is needed. The style is perfect and I am sure when you put this out you will get plenty of people begging you for more doors! Also I hope you are also doing an 18 one so badly also! But I am guessing this was just an update to tease me. First time anyone has ever made a mod for me lol. Thank you so much.

9. lazarus78

Horizontal doors have to be different objects, so that will be done last.

Im sure I could make it take more than 3 frames, but eh, Im not keen on delving into that.

Would you prefer the vertical door be 18 instead? My goal is to cater them to what you want.

10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

There's several objects that show more than 3 frames, here's a couple of them: assets/objects/wired/alarm/alarm.object, assets/objects/themed/island/hulagirl/hulagirl.object

Just FYI if you decide to look into it.

lazarus78 likes this.
  11. lazarus78

Thanks. I know there are other things that use more frames, it just seems like doors have the frames defined with more than just a sprite sheet. The frames are referenced via key names, or whatever they are called. Ive never done anything that altered these namings on any object.

12. Dunto

Dunto Guest

The key names are just names for the frames (and you can also alias the names as well). If you have the sprite sheet with your desired steps (or just the first and last frames) then I can give a go at setting up the animation and frames files for you if you want. Up to you.

Relten likes this.
  13. Leithal--Weapon

The biggest one I would like to be horizontal and the smaller one to be vertical. But if the vertical one could also be made horizontal that would be awesome also.Thank you I'm only used to catering for other people(cooking). Super awesome thank you if you take up Dunto on the offer to help you get more frames in that would rock because A because it is free help and B because honestly their is no time limit for this take your time. If i'm getting catered to please take him up on the offer or her!

14. lazarus78

The animation isn't too problematic i guess. Ill take Donto up on that offer and see what can be done.

In the mean time, because I love teasers:
    [​IMG]
    *ignore the boat... @_@

Relten likes this.
  15. Leithal--Weapon

Lol how can I ignore that boat that your character is you know chilling on the boat that you know looks like object of your picture. Did you make that boat because it is really really nice! Super glad you are working with Dunto on the project more modders should have their work open it allows for amazing things to happen. Also more modders should open their work up for anyone to use if they are taking a break or going on a holiday from modding or not going to play starbound any more! But that is definitely a conversation for maybe another thread. The doors look great and again thank you and thank you . Oh and I was thinking how you know someone put it like when we are kids our families and parents and teachers told us always to share. But no one shares lol we need more sharers out there!

16. lazarus78

Lol, yeah, I did make it a focal point. I was using the image to serve 2 purposes.

Sadly, no I did not really "make" the boat. I did make it useable, but alas, the sprite is modified from a game called Aqua Kitty.

17. Leithal--Weapon

Well I hope one day cough* where do you privately give out your email for receivement (FYI receivement is not an actual word did not know that and to top that off I am pretty sure I've seen it in legal documents. Guessing this could definitely be a beautiful loophole of a word for any legal entanglements.) of modified boat or will it eventually be uploaded and made unique!

18. lazarus78

Well, I am working on a larger scale mod that it will be a part of. In some form or another, but at the very least a similar style boat will be included.

Anyhoo, back to Nightly version bug fixing. Cant play/mod with a broken game. Had to delete my character =( Oh well.

19. Leithal--Weapon

Have fun I'm trying out my first welding helmet so expensive you don't want to use it but so nice. Won't even be using it till at least a week into next month! Might play a game with the helmet on just to get used to it lol. Gaming with a welding helmet maybe I could do that on top of my youtube cooking show. Anyway good luck on bug fixes and your larger scale mod it definitely has me thinking that their are going to be some pretty cool toys. Maybe just my imagination! (edit and the word I was looking for was focal point not object of your picture!)lol

20. lazarus78

Thanks to help from Donto, Ive got a door that uses 6 frames. Looks a bit smoother.

http://i.imgur.com/crE7GnF.png
    http://i.imgur.com/vzefuJy.png

Edit: Ok, here is a useable test version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xg8oda9ha32eoxe/LargeDoors.zip

Spawn doors with /spawnitem and use "LargeDoorV" for vertical doors, and "LargeDoorH" For horizontal.

Doors are 18 blocks tall/wide respectively.

Horizontal doors need only be anchored on one side instead of both like other doors. This is so you can just put 2 side by side to make a wide horizontal opening for your sub. You can wire them together to make them open together.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Dunto likes this.