Modding Discussion Extremely Large Doors & Airlocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Leithal--Weapon, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Leithal--Weapon

Leithal--Weapon Poptop Tamer

Okay so this used to be a thread request to the modding community for extremely large massive airlocks and doors. But became an alternative thread that doesn't work for me. None of the alternatives work and on top of that I want doors and do not really care so much about the alternatives but feel free to continue on this thread for making a submarine base where the sub can pop up into air like a docking bay. For your under the ocean base.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Why nor do a traditional sub dock where you pop up from underneath into a pocket of air?

3. Leithal--Weapon

I do not know how to make a pocket of air that doesn't fill up with sea water if you could redirect me to one that works I would appreciate it very much. But Lazarus I must say that I still really would love to see some massive massive airlocks. So I will keep my request here and maybe some kind person or someone who wants massive doors also will make the mod.

4. lazarus78

Put background blocks and then drain the water.

5. Leithal--Weapon

That does not work. I tried that the first time but it always just fills up with water. Like I said if you could please re-direct me maybe provide a link to somewhere where this works I would greatly appreciate it.

6. lazarus78

7. Leithal--Weapon

I am using the latest stable build on linux. Now I have tried this but for a larger area and actually under water unlike the picture you took there which is almost at surface level and just underneath the floating islands on an ocean world. Is their some sort of pressure equation? I will move all of our conversation to another discussion once this is solved so that it is not muddying my request for super awesome massive doors which I still really want! And remember the hole I have is much larger than the one depicted in your picture.

8. lazarus78

Depth is irrelevant since the mechanics are the same. But for the sake of... science? Ill build a structure at a lower depth and much larger.

9. Leithal--Weapon

I will have to set up screenshots on my linux OS before I can send you anything. So probably 10 minutes before I post a picture maybe longer if I get a phone call I've been waiting to get.

10. lazarus78

11. Leithal--Weapon

Well i just did it with a small hole and still it does not work I have titanium panels as my background I still need to do more lighting and add consoles and such it is a work in progress. Also I want the hole the size of the submarine and not just a tiny hole for my character and so far regardless of size it does not work. upload_2016-1-25_16-29-27.png

12. Leithal--Weapon

LOL!!!!! But you are using a platform to do this and having a platform will not work for me or work for my submarine! Just tried and using a platform doesn't even help me. Just a small question are you trolling me? lol

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  13. lazarus78

Platforms don't stop water. Plus, as shown in my first image, platforms are unnecessary.

http://i.imgur.com/bzuR6wX.png

Relten likes this.
  14. Leithal--Weapon

Well have you tried doing this all below the floor of the ocean. Seriously does not work for me and it isn't like I am doing anything different other than being actually below the ocean floor. I will try to make something higher up and see if it is game mechanics!

15. lazarus78

Its not the mechanics. The background tiles behind the sub area trigger a pressure effect. The solution of which is drains, just like any other airlock.

http://i.imgur.com/0NJPbu4.png

16. Leithal--Weapon

I did a test higher up where you did your first picture and removed background tiles where I wanted the water to stop and it worked. Now I want background tiles where my water is going to stop. Also noticed that the space fills up slower than it does on the bottom of the ocean. On top of that my sub can't pop up through the drains and if it can I really would prefer to not have drains constantly keeping water at bay. So the titanium panels are allowing the water to create pressure like in a real ocean. Anyways where did you get the information about the pressure effect I'd like to read the information on that!

17. Leithal--Weapon

So I went down and did the same thing as above below and it didn't work! So their is absolutely some sort of game mechanic at play here that neither of us have ever dealt with before in this game. If you would like to get to the bottom of it go for it but I am going to wait till someone makes absolutely massive airlock doors so I can park my sub and drain the water. If you do get to the bottom of it awesome but still I want massive doors. I will be changing the heading of the Thread topic and putting up a new request for Extremely massive doors and leaving this one as airpockets problems. (Later today or Tomorrow)

18. Apple Juice

Apple Juice Pangalactic Porcupine

Fill up the area with blocks (Preferably one easy to remove) and then remove them.
    Ocean water is special in that the source block constantly spawns other water, meaning you have to remove the other source blocks beforehand.

19. lazarus78

Ocean water is continually spawned now. Without background blocks, the water will keep poring in.

20. Apple Juice

Apple Juice Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh, wasn't aware they changed that.