Dev Blog 22nd January - Broom for Improvement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Original Post

Happy Friday!

We have talked a little bit about the re-addition of hunger in Survival Mode, which is exciting! There are a lot of different difficulty parameters - hunger, allowing players to beam up from underground, items dropped on death, how much it costs to revive your character, and permadeath. Regardless of how we configure Starbound's three difficulty modes some players will prefer a different set-up, so to that end Metadept has made all of the modes moddable. Here's what that looks like!

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that what you see there now isn't necessary what the default settings will look like in the final game - it's just how it's configured right now.

In other news, this character is wielding a broom. Why are they wielding a broom? What's the significance of the broom? Where are they? What's going onnnnnnnnn?

[​IMG]

2. Tanat

Tanat Void-Bound Voyager

That background... I guess we can expect more info about main campaign in near future.

Heartstrings, Beatrice and Midoss like this.
  3. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I do like broom-man, but I think the background is way more interesting. Also, moddifying gamemodes? Hell yes! Me wants!

Although there still is the issue of unbalancing serverplay... But servers are not that playable atm anyways, due to extreme lag issues.

Beatrice likes this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They have expressed their intention on making characters server side and destributing mods to those that connect, so it is presumed that will rectify any potential abuse from client side modding.

Solzucht likes this.
  5. WoogaBooga

WoogaBooga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The background...

Titanium likes this.
  6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I think the real question is why that apex isn't wearing any pants.

7. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

Have we really escaped the puns? I think not.

I'm super hyped about the next update. c:

8. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

BIG THANKS!

Optionality is the way to go :)
    Great!

9. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Oh look, the Protectorate's base.
    Cool.
    Good to see you held the mystery up pretty long there.

10. Davidius

Davidius Void-Bound Voyager

Finaly my dreams of becoming a Space Hygiene Technician might become a reallity!

11. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

What makes you sure they are on earth?

12. IEpicWolfI

IEpicWolfI Void-Bound Voyager

Fully inhabited/colonized -actual- sci-fi planets soon? No mor, "entire galaxy is just a wasteland pretty much" ? Pls?

Kelthazan likes this.
  13. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Watching background*
    New outpost?? :O
    Also no pants need for work?
    *thinks* i See painises everywhere

14. lazarus78

Where did he say that they were on earth?

15. Greymir

Greymir Void-Bound Voyager

Any chance of avoiding broom based puns was swept aside long ago...:nurutease:

Also, good to see that hunger is coming back, but that we 'll be able to ignore if we so choose.

16. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Because the protectorate base is on Earth?

/warp instanceworld:protectorate

17. There is absolutely no escape from this Pun Hell.

18. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

That broom wielding glitch in the background reminds me of Spike Spiegel from the Cowboy Bebop movie.
    Y`know, the scene where hes undercover and fights that lady while dressed like a janitor.
    Frikin love that movie (and show). Anyway, that's just what it looked like to me. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

19. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

They are called the Protectorate because they were formed by the Humans. Now they are accepting more species, and they aren't exactly restricted to one planet with FTL technology. Earth is destroyed canonically, so it would be pretty hard to have a complete city there anymore.

20. lazarus78

Who said THIS protectorate base is on earth?

IE The military has bases all over the world. So why would you think they would have just one protectorate base?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016